997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Who is 997TT competitors ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Nice post Barrister.

Originally Posted by Barrister
Not to single out this comment, but I think this is a real misconception amongst 997TT owners (and those who pose as such) on this forum. In reality, very few high end/supercar owners modify their vehicles either cosmetically or mechanically. In fact, only the most hardcore 2-5% actually do so. It just so happens that many of that 2-5% frequent this board and those like it. Since I purchased my 997TT back in November, I have met 20-25 other 997TT owners in my area and not a single one of them has even considered modifying their car from stock. Most don't even consider getting wheels. When you visit this forum, it starts to feel like everyone who owns a Turbo immediately takes it to Techart, Fabspeed or GMG and gets a new exhaust and ECU. But in reality, this forum is frequented by that very small percentage of extreme enthusiasts who are interested in such modifications enough to pull the trigger and do it. And if that is what makes you happy, I think it's great. Yet, I know from experience that the majority of supercar owners are not interested in aftermarket work at all and of those that are, only a fraction of them ever actually have anything done. My main source for forming this opinion (who will remain nameless) are two people who happen to own two of the largest modification outfits in the world. They are personal friends of mine and totally back up my opinion on this. And let's not forget, of the modification stories told on this board, the majority of them are done in people's bedrooms at night with the lights off as they doze off in a drunken stuper. In other words, they exist only the in the realm of fantasy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy modifying cars. My MB SLK55 AMG has every conceivable mofidication you can imagine - over 50 total on the car both cosmetic and performance. In fact - I am embarassed to admit - I spent more money modifying the car than the base car cost me. And there is a simple reason why: I WANTED A BETTER CAR THAN I COULD AFFORD AT THE TIME. If I had been smart, I would have taken the money I spent on mods over that time and put it into a fund to buy a 997TT or a Ferrrari, Lambo or Aston. I let my relationship with those who own and run these companies influence me beyond the realm of good sense. Do I love my modified SLK? Hell yeah! But did I spend 2 years pissing money away that I will never recoup on resale? Hell yeah! Would I do it all over again? Absolutely not. I would have saved that money and simply gotten a better base car down the road. Now I have my 997TT and it is everything I could have hoped for. But there are always going to be better cars out there. Rather than soup up your Turbo to keep pace, save that money until you can get a more exclusive automobile. My ultimate dream is to own a Ferrari Enzo. I am a long way from it. But every penny counts!

I understand the modification bug and the uniqueness it brings to the car as well as anyone here. But we have to remember that those who modify their cars - especially performance modifications - are a very small percantage of the 997TT owner pool. I have decided not to modify my 997TT. It is powerful enough as it is. Any money I would pour into modifications is going straight into my Ferrari Enzo fund.

Just my opinion.