997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

An observation on the GT-R/997TT comparisons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
An observation on the GT-R/997TT comparisons

I know that every mag has tested and claims the GT-R is quicker. However, I have yet to see one that used a tiptronic 997TT in the test. We all know that the tip is quicker than the 6-speed in any acceleration test. I wonder if the outcome would be different. I bet if the GT-R had a 6-speed manual, it will not be as quick as it is now.

Even on a track, the tip 997TT may be faster than the manual 997TT. I seem to remember that Hurley Haywood preferred a tip turbo on a track and can actually go quicker with such a car than a manual one.

What do you guys think?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Tip is faster but only the cost is huge...

Basically, you have to abuse (read: anticipate premature failure) the tip to better the times of the manual. PDK may be a different story if it ever arrives. As far as the comparison goes, the GT-R appears to be a great car for the money. Personally, I can't get past the looks. And, have you noticed most reviewers pick the 997TT as their choice if cost were not a factor? All said, the GT-R would make a great track *****.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I cant think of any time the Tip has been faster on the track than the Manual. Most of the tests to date have been tips. At least the UK and Japanese tests. The tip is better for 1/4 mile only but the shifts in it are too slow to make it preferrable over a manual on the track, at least in the hands of a decent driver. Which the TT gets little of these days.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Manual > Tip

The only benefit of the tip is the ability to brake-boost when launching (1/4 mile)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Which would make it quicker on a 0 to 60 run. Nad a quarter mle run. So far, the tests have seen the GT-R .1 sec faster than a 997TT manaul, so the tip 997TT should be as quick or quicker, righter?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
It's still a datsun with horrible styling. I'd take a corvette over a gtr anytime at that price point, the 997TT shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence imo.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree. I think the exterior is ugly but the interior is even worse (such a mess). Road & Track said it best when it said " regarding the design of the interior, there is no design". A VW has a much nicer interior.

The point of this post was to discuss if the GT-R would still be quicker in a straight line against a tip 997TT. So far, Autocar, CAR, R&T and C&D used a manual 997TT, right? Any opinion on that, you guys?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone really care?
There will always be a faster car, a newer car, a car with more advanced technology on the forefront. What does it prove? If you think 1/10's of seconds indicate real world out performance then buy the faster car, I am sure your butt dyno will convince you that one is a 1/10 of a second faster. Did it make you a better driver? It all comes down to the following:
1. Heritage
2. Styling
3. Driver skill
4. Performance

Performance is last because a good driver can out drive a faster car!
Styling is more important because it is subjective and that is what matters to YOU when you buy a car.
Heritage is the number one important factor when buying a car in this class, and it speaks volumes about what you are buying into. Its a culture, and its about the club you are about to join.
Lastly, when I buy a car I tend to focus on how many I will see on the road in a given day. I hate seeing dozens and dozens of the same car. I believe we will see hundreds of GTR's to the 1 TT just because of the price point.

So what club do you want to be part of?

Its not about better, worse, 3.4 or 3.3 0-60 times. It goes much deeper then that and the GTR has no culture!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
JRS
JRS is infamous around these parts
very well said JZRS4! couldn't agree more.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terrence
I agree. I think the exterior is ugly but the interior is even worse (such a mess). Road & Track said it best when it said " regarding the design of the interior, there is no design". A VW has a much nicer interior.

The point of this post was to discuss if the GT-R would still be quicker in a straight line against a tip 997TT. So far, Autocar, CAR, R&T and C&D used a manual 997TT, right? Any opinion on that, you guys?

The GT-R can produce similar 0-60 times as the tiptronic. In fact they are pretty much dead heat in that regard. But in same day test the TT trapped 2.7 mph faster in the 1/4 mile. The TT is faster in a straight line, the only reasons it doesnt eat the GT-R alive is the shifting, the GT-R shifts mush quicker.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
hi5ingmf9 is infamous around these parts
the other thing that people are overlooking, all the published times for the GTR have been on cut slicks, not a true street tire for most people.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
They arent slicks, but they are a specially designed tire for the car. I honestly would like to see it on another tire. The runflats are actually genious for this car, because there really isnt anything with a stiffer sidewall, and all that weight on the GT-R would buckle sidewalls in a hurry. And the GT-R's sidewalls are even stiffer than the normal runflat. Chances are it would eat sport cups or overheat hoosiers in a heartbeat.

It WILL get knocked back down to earth, and soon.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM
hi5ingmf9 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
They arent slicks, but they are a specially designed tire for the car. I honestly would like to see it on another tire. The runflats are actually genious for this car, because there really isnt anything with a stiffer sidewall, and all that weight on the GT-R would buckle sidewalls in a hurry. And the GT-R's sidewalls are even stiffer than the normal runflat. Chances are it would eat sport cups or overheat hoosiers in a heartbeat.

It WILL get knocked back down to earth, and soon.
productions versions you are correct, but test versions are using a cut slick

7.38* -- 161.63 km/h -- Nissan R35 GT-R, *company test driver Suzuki, slick cut tyres, track partially wet www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123066?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*#40

Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Cloak&Dagger is infamous around these parts
I could care less. The 997tt is, in opinion, a much better car. If you can afford either; I'm sure that if you DO walk away from Porsche- my prediction is you'll be back. And fairly quickly- to the Porsche brand.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned
Kevin2772 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JZRS4
Does anyone really care?
There will always be a faster car, a newer car, a car with more advanced technology on the forefront. What does it prove? If you think 1/10's of seconds indicate real world out performance then buy the faster car, I am sure your butt dyno will convince you that one is a 1/10 of a second faster. Did it make you a better driver? It all comes down to the following:
1. Heritage
2. Styling
3. Driver skill
4. Performance

Performance is last because a good driver can out drive a faster car!
Styling is more important because it is subjective and that is what matters to YOU when you buy a car.
Heritage is the number one important factor when buying a car in this class, and it speaks volumes about what you are buying into. Its a culture, and its about the club you are about to join.
Lastly, when I buy a car I tend to focus on how many I will see on the road in a given day. I hate seeing dozens and dozens of the same car. I believe we will see hundreds of GTR's to the 1 TT just because of the price point.

So what club do you want to be part of?

Its not about better, worse, 3.4 or 3.3 0-60 times. It goes much deeper then that and the GTR has no culture!
I tried to say the same thing in another GTR thread and as usual had to come under fire. Well put...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An observation on the GT-R/997TT comparisons