997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

NEED HELP - Bad Engine with only 180 miles!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is infamous around these parts
A new engine isn't a bad idea if you think about it, you have to remember the engine that they'll put into your car will be built by a tech, by hand, to perfect tolerances.

Also because of your trouble you should make sure they give you an extended warranty etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
New engine, extended warrenty,done deal........

Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dubai_TT
When requesting a replacement car from porsche, the dealership does not pay a penny so dont surrender your rights as they would not even lose a penny for doing this. they send your car back o germany and get a new car back on the factory's expense.
I think you have rose colored glasses on. It is never that simple. What about shipping, loss of inventory, taxes, etc.? He's not returning a pair of jeans that don't fit to Wal-Mart or a defective television to Best Buy.

But one thing you say is true - he is going to be working primarily with Porsche NA. They will call the shots, approve or deny any exchange. I'm not sure this is a good thing or not. They don't have the same kind of intimate relationship with the consumer that the dealer does. I am sure the dealer would try to make it right. But its hands will be tied but what Porchse NA approves.

The only problem I have with the "new motor" scenario is that it will kill the resale value. If you are honest and disclose that it has a totally rebuilt engine, buyers will have a solid bargaining chip to drive down the price.

Time is money. If you can spend a little to get out of this deal now, I would seriously consider it. Try to get out of this car, walk out of that dealership and into a totally new situation. Fighting Porsche NA might not be worth it.

Get the Porsche NA rep down there and see what they say. I can promise you that they won't just say, "Yeah, he needs a new car. We'll have it to you by the end of the week." It is much more complicated than that.

I realize that there is a "principle" here that might be worth fighting for - you got a lemon and should not have to pay for it. Then again, there is something to be said for putting this nightmare behind you.

Last edited by Barrister; 04-10-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DERBOOST
New engine, extended warrenty,done deal........
Agreed.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
All porsche engines are assembled by hand. They will crate a new engine and ship it to your dealership. The R&R is about 3 hours. I would do it in an instant. It is not like getting a remanufactured Chevy smallblock.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Worms is infamous around these parts
This happened to me with a 2003 C4S I had at only 150 miles. The dealership diagnosed the problem as total engine failure, ordered a replacement engine, and I had the car back in 2 weeks. Never a problem after that. I tracked the car some as well with no isses. Sold the car last year and disclosed the engine issue to the buyer and it did not effect the resale value. I was upset at first when it happened but all turned out good. One advantage is that the replacement engine diddnt have all the cosmoline underneath so it looked a bit better.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Angry

Originally Posted by mishref
Since the car is ordered exactly to your specs, why don't you just have them replace the engine? I would also push for extended warranty just to be on the safe side.

Porsche will give you a new engine in a heartbeat....Just get a new motor. Why go through the hassake if waiting foe another car?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Cloak&Dagger is infamous around these parts
It's called a warranty. They'll replace the engine under it. The car on the other hand- doesn't need replacing. Thank God for modern Miracles.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
vig168 is infamous around these parts
get a new engine and be done with it.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
It is very simple, the car is a lemon. New Jersey has very favorable lemon law statutes and only requires 3 attempts to fix the problem or 20 cumulative days out of service within the first two years of ownership. At this point, there is no way the car be fixed within 20 days.

What you do next is completely up to you. I would speak to an attorney and initiate the buy-back now. Porsche and your dealer will probably come around and be helpful. If not, get you money and order another car from another dealer.

I can see the logic of "new engine, extended warranty, done" but it is a brand new car with a significant manufacturing defect. The reality is that your new car is defective and you should either get a new one or be compensated for the time your car is sitting in the shop.

http://www.state.nj.us/oag/ca/ocp/lemguide.htm

Last edited by sparkhill; 04-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
From what i know is that the factory in germany bears the cost, as you have already paid the cost of shipping when u initially got the car, since that car was a defect so you did not get what you paid for.
Im not sure how that works in the US but down here with my knowledge, a BMW 750 with a leaking fuel tank was returned even though they did initially offer to fix the problem but after arguing with them about the seriousness of the issue, they did finally succumb to it and replaced the car. Although i have not witnessed any issue like this with porsche yet so i have no idea how they would handle the issue.

Because of his specs it would not be possible to get him a car straight away obviously but if he can wait for a new car then why not, try pushing for it. Regional porsche centers can always and i mean always get you ahead of the rest in porsche allocations if you know someone there, this i have tried twice when the waiting list for one was more than 12 months long.

Originally Posted by Barrister
I think you have rose colored glasses on. It is never that simple. What about shipping, loss of inventory, taxes, etc.? He's not returning a pair of jeans that don't fit to Wal-Mart or a defective television to Best Buy.

But one thing you say is true - he is going to be working primarily with Porsche NA. They will call the shots, approve or deny any exchange. I'm not sure this is a good thing or not. They don't have the same kind of intimate relationship with the consumer that the dealer does. I am sure the dealer would try to make it right. But its hands will be tied but what Porchse NA approves.

The only problem I have with the "new motor" scenario is that it will kill the resale value. If you are honest and disclose that it has a totally rebuilt engine, buyers will have a solid bargaining chip to drive down the price.

Time is money. If you can spend a little to get out of this deal now, I would seriously consider it. Try to get out of this car, walk out of that dealership and into a totally new situation. Fighting Porsche NA might not be worth it.

Get the Porsche NA rep down there and see what they say. I can promise you that they won't just say, "Yeah, he needs a new car. We'll have it to you by the end of the week." It is much more complicated than that.

I realize that there is a "principle" here that might be worth fighting for - you got a lemon and should not have to pay for it. Then again, there is something to be said for putting this nightmare behind you.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
kush is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vig168
get a new engine and be done with it.
I agree. What's the benefit of a new car? It's not as if the problem affected any other parts of the car, so by replacing the defective element (the motor), you're effectively at the same place, just a lot sooner and without the major league uphill battle. Extend the warranty and you're ahead of the game in my book.

The new motor will be fine and by time your done with your next 180 miles (this spring rather than next winter) it'll be a distant memory.

Hope it's resolved in time to enjoy some of the good weather we're finally having. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Subbie is infamous around these parts
Whatever route you go, document everything in writing! If possible emails back and forth from and to Porsche/Dealership and every time you get off the phone or have a meeting write it down. Whats important in these things is 100% accurate information, your the good guy, they are the bad guys, you are telling a non-fiction story to a judge.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
WOW – I am impressed with the concern and responses. Those that echo my mindset will like my response as it seems we’re on the same page. Others may not – but it doesn’t mean I’m discounting your advice, so please take no offense. OH ... and it’s going to be a long one ...
I am personally attached to this car. Here’s why: Shortly before my Dad past away, I had the fortune of asking him if he had any life-time regrets. His answer was that he never gave himself 100% of what his passions wanted him to have. He gave 100% to his job, 100% to his kids, 100% to his wife, but when it came down to his boats and cars ... he would do all the research, end up knowing more about than the guy selling it ... but in the end get one-model-down, or get a used version. He never expected his life to end so abruptly, so he always thought he’d have time to get the best and be personally and emotionally satisfied later in life.
Some how ... every one of his kids is programmed the same way. Don’t get me wrong – I’ve lead one incredible life without short-changing myself. I also knew the cars, planes, etc, better than the guy selling it to me ... but I always took what was easily available, or accessible within a day or two. It wasn’t ever the way “I Wanted It To Be – As If I Made It For Myself” – somewhere deep inside I knew I settled for second best. “Second Best Is Not First Choice”.
So when my Dad said those words, I felt like I could have said the same thing if things were reversed, and I could feel his regret.
After the Estate disbursement (and a near-death experience), I decided to order my childhood dream – no holds barred – nothing done with reserve or trepidation. I even planned the order placement around an early spring delivery – and contacted the DMV to make sure I could get the plates “NO REGRETS”. <O</O
So here’s where I stand on several issues. Admittedly, some may have too much emotion behind them, but others are financial decisions that I can not/will not compromise on.
  • I will not accept a replacement engine. In this (and other) forums we've replied to people curious about a car (any car) having a “dealer/manufacturer replaced engine” installed during warrantee. We all advise them to beware, be careful and be cautious, etc, as it’s a big red flag! It discounts the price significantly, and if it’s not disclosed upon sale, in some states you’re breaking the law because of its significance to the buyer. I am not taking a financial loss for inferior products.
  • Taking the last line of #1 a little further ... I will not take a loss for an inferior product. If any manufacturer (regardless of product) makes an inferior item, you are by law, entitled to all your money back, AND all monies spent in making things correct again (Fair Trade Act). As seen here, there are people who accept inferiority even if it cost them money (again, I’m not trying to insult your position or advice). I just can’t get my head around that concept. I don’t want to ‘make’ money on this mistake, but I’m certainly not going to take a loss. I wouldn’t care if this was a lawn mower, Porsche or Lear Jet ... I am not going to absorb the loss, nor pay for other peoples mistakes or inferiority. Ever!
  • I am aware that ‘some’ buyers will not take into consideration a replacement engine, but that certainly isn’t all of the “possible buyers”. Therefore, when time to sell, my “purchasing audience” is reduced. Once that happens it is only I who suffer from a reduced buying pool, hence the best price offer. Consider this ... if someone is looking for a ‘perfect car’, then certainly they’re going to “pay for a perfect car” ... and they’re willing to part with more money for that perfection. For the efforts I put into maintaining my cars, I’m certainly not going to lose top dollar do to a replacement engine, which reduces my buying audience. (NOTE: I sold my previous car for $8,400.00 more than any similar car offered anywhere ... to someone that wanted and bought a ‘perfect’ Porsche – this wouldn’t have happened with a replacement engine).
  • Porsche (as most companies) will do MUCH MORE than just replace the defective item for ‘some people’ and not ‘others’. They have an entire team who ‘over-compensate’ for when things go bad. Some people not only get new cars, but they’re financially compensated for the time they were without the vehicle they purchased. It’s getting to the right people that make those decisions that I need help with.
  • You will always get the most from those who feel you’re a threat – that can be disarmed with as little loss as possible. I don’t want to be ‘threatening’ – but I want to make my case BEFORE someone else decides how they ‘feel’ about my case. It’s easier to help someone make up their mind than it is to change their mind. I want to help PCNA in ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<ST1lace w:st="on">Atlanta</ST1lace></st1:City>, make up their mind to do the right thing on an inferior product. There is a division in the headquarters who handles these issues, and that’s the department I want/need to get in touch with.
In argument for the dealership and PCNA to do the right thing (by my standard), they could buy-back the car, get compensation from Porsche (Germany), be ‘given’ an engine AND get labor reimbursement AND put the car back on the show-room floor AND find a sucker who won’t care about a replacement engine and sell the car twice for top dollar. They’d even be able to sell me another car! It’s a friggin’ trifecta for the dealership!
I want to thank everyone for their input. It’s really nice to feel everyone rally around me and offer advice. I know some may feel I’ve kicked their opinion in the nad’s ... but please don’t ... it’s just an ‘opinion’ ... and like an a$$hole – we all have ‘em, and they all stink. I will keep you all posted on the results. I have a meeting today at the dealership with a Regional Service Manager to present my case for buy-back or replacement car ... once I’m back at my desk, I’ll share my outcome.
I’m still looking for the secret contact/big-shot in PCNA’s headquarters that makes these final decisions.
Thank you again.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Tupe is infamous around these parts
Best of luck, I’ll look forward to hearing your outcome from this unfortunate situation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP - Bad Engine with only 180 miles!