997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Advice from Attorneys Needed.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Did you review the paperwork to see if it said refundable? I'm sure you got plenty of legal room either way, but if it says its refundable it's pretty cut and dry.

Personally, I agree though, if the car went to a body shop for anything I wouldn't take delivery of it.

This is the first car that Im even remotely considering to keep forever, which for me has never happened, so I think you are completely within your rights to refuse delivery.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
shnapps is infamous around these parts
There was no paperwork. Just a gentleman's agreement. Not sure if most dealerships around here do it that way. In the end, this should be to my advantage, as I'm sure that most such written agreements are crafted by the dealerships who are mainly interested in protecting themselves.

If I thought I was going to flip the car in 1-2 years I would have probably taken it. But I'm thinking I'm going to hold on to this car forever. I didn't want to be into year 7 of ownership and have paint bubbling off my bumper (which has happened on another car of mine that that had some body work.)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by shnapps
I'm glad the majority of you have had a good buying experience with your dream car; mine has been less so. Can you attorney types lend me your ear and give me some advice on my next move?

I ordered my 08 Turbo from Porsche of Lexington (Kentucky). It gets in and had the front bumper damaged. They send it off to the body shop for repair. Based on the advice of fellow 6 speeders and multiple other Porsche dealerships, I asked for some gesture price adjustment. They refused and ended up selling the car to someone else. Which is fine with me, however, they've kept my $5,000 deposit and refused to return it! I've tried contacting them through e-mail, left phone messages, and sent certified mail. Nothing. This is nothing less than thievery and it's hard to believe that a major Porsche dealership thinks it can get away with (felony?) theft.

What should I do?

In advance, thanks for your help.

Call PCNA they should help.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
I didn't want to be into year 7 of ownership and have paint bubbling off my bumper (which has happened on another car of mine that that had some body work.)
Who did they say was going to do the body work?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I don't expect anyone who doesn't know me to simply take my word for it; there should always be a healthy dose of skepticism when hearing stories like this. With mine particularly, I'd be thinking, "this guy must have done something."

Hard to argue they're honest folk when I don't have a new Porsche in my garage and they have my $5,000 in their account 3 weeks after the scheduled delivery date.
I am not judging either you or the dealership. I'll take your side of the story at face value and reply to the topic itself rather than try and verify its validity. They have not posted so I can only read your descriptions of the events.

If you gave them 5K and they "refused" to refund it as stated in your post . you ought to hire an attorney to represent you. He/she would read the agreement and address them with the legal aspects .

I understand that one can feel emotionally distraught based on your description. You ordered a dream car , it came damaged, you had every right to address it , you chose not to buy it , you want your deposit back .

You are not on trial here . At least by me.

They are a business . They ordered a car, disclosed the damage, and sold it elsewhere . Whether their "refusal " is part of the agreement OR whether it's perceived is unknown . They are not on trial until you get some form of refusal in writing either through your attorney or PCNA or the dealership .

The fact that three weeks has passed might be an outright inconvenience and lack of profesional courtesy BUT it does not in itself constitute a "theivery".

Conclusion and advice from a NON attorney -- Allow the busness end of this to be handled by an attorney who is not emotionally involved . The personal stress (or had it been joy) that you have faced is not a tangible part of the business deal .

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
shnapps is infamous around these parts
I forgot who they said did the paint job. They did say they were good and I'm inclined to believe them. I'm not questioning who they got to do the work. Regardless, I still had the nagging concern that the paint wouldn't look as good as the rest of the car long-term. Plus they said there was some sort of depression or divet in the bumper. Does that mean they had to use bondo to fix it? In the end, they sold the car and should be happy. If they weren't playing these mind games, I'd be happy for them.

Last edited by shnapps; 04-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
GotBoost, can you tell me the name of someone at PCNA that I could speak to about this? I appreciate your insights.
PCNA cannot do anything for you. You will be wasting your time. They have no legal right to tell the dealer to do anything. Your best bet is to either talk to the GM directly(don't talk to anyone else) or hire yorself an attorney.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
PCNA cannot do anything for you. You will be wasting your time. They have no legal right to tell the dealer to do anything. Your best bet is to either talk to the GM directly(don't talk to anyone else) or hire yorself an attorney.
Are you sure of this ? I have stated that I am not an attorney but I thought that each Porsche dealership represents a fascet of Porsche . Porsche therefore being the mother ship would not want negative publicity of various dealerships doing as they please without corporate supervision .

Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
easyc is infamous around these parts
they turbo you ordered didn't happen to be red did it?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
So if they took your 5k with no paperwork then how did they account for it in there accounting system?

As a business you can't just take 5k from someone. Did they show it as all profit on there books? Did they burry it? Did the the sales guy steal it from the dealership? Did a couple employees conspire to do it? Did they pay taxes on this? An IRS audit of the dealership or the salesman might help answer these questions.

You may just want to ask your salesman to check out this web site and see the crap that is being flung around about the dealer... You may just get a check with your money back.

And remember "you can't get ahead while your getting even"

Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Are you sure of this ? I have stated that I am not an attorney but I thought that each Porsche dealership represents a fascet of Porsche . Porsche therefore being the mother ship would not want negative publicity of various dealerships doing as they please without corporate supervision .
All Porsche dealers are independantly owned. This goes for any auto dealership. They are all franchises of the brand. The manufacturer cannot force the dealer to do anything.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
All Porsche dealers are independantly owned. This goes for any auto dealership. They are all franchises of the brand. The manufacturer cannot force the dealer to do anything.
They are independently owned . They are franchises of the brand . They can not be "forced" . Agreed. Partially .

The manufacturer does have it's impact with aspects like allocation, leasing, warranty , and there has to be some sort of franchise rules .Now perhaps its the BBB or some outside agency which monitors certain aspects but why would you think that PCNA would not support a customer by placing him in direct contact with those who can help him?

If the practices of a franchise running amok places the Porsche name at risk of revenue loss then the manufacturer has as much to gain from this as the customer to see that it's resolved quickly .No ?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Yesterday 11:53 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 1796560" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>yrralis1</TD><TD class=alt2>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by GotBoost?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
They are independently owned . They are franchises of the brand . They can not be "forced" . Agreed. Partially .

The manufacturer does have it's impact with aspects like allocation, leasing, warranty , and there has to be some sort of franchise rules .Now perhaps its the BBB or some outside agency which monitors certain aspects but why would you think that PCNA would not support a customer by placing him in direct contact with those who can help him?

If the practices of a franchise running amok places the Porsche name at risk of revenue loss then the manufacturer has as much to gain from this as the customer to see that it's resolved quickly .No ?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The manufacturer will attempt to put the customer in touch with the person who can make a decision at the dealership. However, they cannot force the dealer to make any decision. They can of course try and persuade the dealer.

Allocation is based on your sales rate and the sales plan for your geographic area of responsibility. Situations like this will not change the dealer's allocation. There is a mathematical equation that is followed for allocations.

Leasing programs are administered by Porsche Financial(separate corporate entity) and not the manufacturing side.

Warranty is given to the customer and not the dealer. The dealer is just paid to do the warranty work by the manufacturer.

BBB is a waste of time. They are of no help.

I'm not saying that PCNA won't try to help. They will attempt to. All I'm saying is that at the end of the day, that decision is made at the dealer's discretion. In this case if the dealer's GM is the one who sold the car to someone else and has taunted the original salesperson for not being able to sell it with the damage, the chances of getting a resolution through PCNA is slim to none. The best and quickest way to resolve this is to get an attorney to send a demand letter.

I am a GM of a dealer and that is just my $.02.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation . I imagine that if the manufacturer contacts the agengies which would help him it might speed up things .

What I don't understand the most is this -

This customer walks in to buy a 160K car and leaves a deposit.
The only reason why he claims to have rejected the car was that it had been damaged .

Why would they dismiss him ?

It's not as if Lexington Kentucky is the Porsche sale capitol of the universe . Why wouldn't they try and earn his business.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-15-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Thanks for the detailed explanation . I imagine that if the manufacturer contacts the agengies which would help him it might speed up things .

What I don't understand the most is this -

This customer walks in to buy a 160K car and leaves a deposit.
The only reason why he claims to have rejected the car was that it had been damaged .

Why would they dismiss him ?

It's not as if Lexington Kentucky is the Porsche sale capitol of the universe . Why wouldn't they try and earn his business.
Just a case of a poorly managed business. You are absolutely correct that they are not in the sales capitol. They probably feel that they are the only show in town. They probably are and that is why they treat customers the way they do. Truly sad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice from Attorneys Needed.....