997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Which 997 TT is faster Manual or Tips ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Ok good man...How can Tip spin its wheels...from which RPMS did he launch ???

Did you run with Tip to 250 + ??? At higher speeds they say its even faster...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Who else raced Tips with their manuals ???

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
jamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to beholdjamuz is a splendid one to behold
i think it has to do with electronics. tip can coordinate PTM and PSM better, to help launch the car. not much to do with shift speed

Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I know the tip is faster by the numbers, but the manual feels faster to me...mostly because I can stay in whatever gear I want without it getting dropped down to 5th. That is really annoying as I keep changing gears down to stay in the powerband but then it keeps going back to 5th. When in full automatic mode driving around town, the car can really lag because of this.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 PM
heard Tips can do 11.5 in 1/4 but I havent heard any manuals run this numbers...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Here is a vid of 630 HP Techart 997 TT dooing 10.8 in 1/4

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=llc3OxLp_jA

Times that are done in US with 700 HP cars but manuals...so Tips is really much faster in 1/4 cause it doesn loose boost and changes gears faster and right all the time...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
I think it is interesting how this thread got started. It started with a very specific question: which is faster, manual or tip? It didn't ask, which is better overall. It only asked which is faster. I asked a similar question here on the forum when I was considering buying my 997TT but I asked which was better overall. The vast majority of those who responded said the manual was superior.

I think it is obvious that the tip is faster. All of the numbers show that it is. But speed is only one factor in deciding between a tip and a manual - especially here where the differences in speed are measured in tenths of a second and acheived by pro drivers. I have enjoyed the manual because it helps me feel more engaged while driving. If I wanted a car that basically drove itself I would have bought a Lexus or an S550. The reason I bought a sports car - and a Porsche - was to "drive" the car. I think you lose some of that with the tip.

So, I will agree that the tip is faster. But, with all things considered, the manual is the better overall experience. The nice thing is, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Good luck in making your decision.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i just wanna say some thing !
1.manual can get modified
2.tip can do a great lunch
3.manual is better in rolling vs Zo6 cause they always ask rolling number like 70klm/h which is very bad for tip and great for manual in breife manual better in high speed rolling
4.tip is 5 speed which is very bad for getting a top speed record
5.tip is very fast in rollin 50klm/h and less
6.tip is better when u plan to change ur turbos cause it doesnt lose the bost as much as the manual later
7.u have do choose now :P

Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
7.*do i ment to

Old 05-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Its crazy..I know it would be much easier to have a consitent resutls in 1/4 with TIP but its not as much fun as manual...Can it handle 700whp ??? ...

Last edited by GT RUS; 05-03-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 AM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Let me pre-amble this by stating that for the last 20 years I have only ever had manual cars. I never did like tiptronic and/or automatics.

In 06 I purchased a bmw m5 with smg. kind of like an automatic in the feel. At the time I did not have an option because thats all the car came in. Today it comes in manual however. I thought I would never like - but at the time wanted the car more than the tranny type.

Fast forward to today. I have to say I still enjoy driving a manual - but much prefer the m5 smg box now with its paddles on the steering wheel. I thought I would never ever convert - but now - prefer it.

So when I ordered the tt turbo I opted for tiptronic - with the hope it has similarities to the smg on the m5 (method versus mechanics I mean). I think the tiptronic auto changes though at high revs (unlike an smg) - which I can live with I guess.

So this feel now combined with the fact that its faster - is a no brainer to me. - and like I say - I thought I would never ever say that since I was a die hard manual freak.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Driving tip on full auto is not what you want to do. Like mentioned earlier, it kicks you into 5th by 45mph. Why would you drive like that if you are looking for performance? Knock the shifter over into manual mode and use the buttons. Totally different experience and can be driven very aggressively while maintaining complete control over the power. If only it could match revs...........

Can't wait for PDK which does.

You can easily get the same performance out of the tip that you can get with the manual. Just a matter of preference.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by jlingk

You can easily get the same performance out of the tip that you can get with the manual. Just a matter of preference.
But Tip will still be faster at same power level right and it much easier to launch but it doenst have lsd...

Old 05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT RUS
But Tip will still be faster at same power level right and it much easier to launch but it doenst have lsd...
Faster? I don't know about that. It might be quicker from the drop by a couple tenths of second - that's about an eye blink.

At the end of the day it's the same engine producing the same power and that power is just delivered differently, one with gears, one without. Driver engagement is the only difference here in my opinion.

Do you like to have to engage a foot clutch and shifter to change gears? Get a stick.

Do you like the option of driving auto (maybe in traffic) and won't get a bruised ego by not driving a manual? Get a tip.

Rest of the car performs the same.

I've tracked both and the only noticeable difference is that, in addition to all the other things you have to think about at 120 mph, you have to think about co-ordinating a shift with a stick.

You can get the same power delivery with the tip if you know how to use the throttle/shift buttons effectively. Maybe not on paper but in reality this is my experience.

Just my two cents

Last edited by jlingk; 05-03-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 AM
thanks for your opinions...tip would only be faster in straight line cause its doesnt loose any boost btw gears...but I dont undertand why manual loose boost btw gears when your shouldbe able to shift fast enough and why you cant build up and boost prior launching like on TIPs ???

Last edited by GT RUS; 05-05-2008 at 01:07 AM.