997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

11.535 on stock 997TT Tip !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Yes they measure everything...and no I dont want to misinteprit anything or plan too...your are just very picky...

The whole point of the post it that its really impressive that stock 997 TT tiptronic can do 11.5 in 1/4 and it has been confrimed by other memebers that it can do so...I didnt NOT know that OK...and it impressive for ME...Especailly when stock Z06 can do only 12.2 here and mod LPE 616 hp package best times is 11.6...and I dont want to annoy anyone or prove anything to anybody...Again I am impressed with 997 Tips capability in 1/4 and that is it ...no more point to discuss anything !!!...Its free world and I can compare anything I want...if it bothers you then, I cant do anything about it...

All The best...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT RUS
.Again I am impressed with 997 Tips capability in 1/4 and that is it ...no more point to discuss anything !!!...Its free world and I can compare anything I want...if it bothers you then, I cant do anything about it...

All The best...
Okay, Rus. I'll leave you be.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thank you

Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
For now....

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
OK boss

Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Depending on the track and the driver anything is possible. Stock for stock with a regular driver, the tip will always have a lower ET because it's waaaaaay easier to get a good launch with it.
I see..but 6 speed manual have LSD and can u can drop clutch at 4-5k rpms as well...but I did see any manual 997 TT doing this times...may be I wrong...

Is this slo cuase Tip S doesnt loose boost when changing the gears and manual does ???

Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I see..but 6 speed manual have LSD and can u can drop clutch at 4-5k rpms as well...but I did see any manual 997 TT doing this times...may be I wrong...

Is this slo cuase Tip S doesnt loose boost when changing the gears and manual does ???
Correct. But also, TIPs have significantly more drivetrain loss...so at higher speeds, a manual will be faster.

Each one has their advantages.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Correct. But also, TIPs have significantly more drivetrain loss...so at higher speeds, a manual will be faster.

Hmmm..that is intresting...thanks for info but here is the info I got from other thread...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Here is the key excerpt:

Going in, it was an uphill battle for the automatic. Our test car weighed 3584 pounds, a 70-pound penalty compared with the manual. Furthermore, the automatic launches without much wheelspin, unlike the manual, and it therefore doesn't get off the line as swiftly. We hit 30 mph in 1.3 seconds, which is 0.2-second off the manual's pace. But that early deficit is overcome by the Tiptronic's smooth and quick wide-open-throttle upshifts which keep the turbos spooled up, unlike what happens when you lift to shift in the manual. By 60 mph, that lost time is made up and the Tiptronic matches the manual car's 3.4-second blast. From there, it continues to gain ground and edges out the manual in the quarter-mile by a scant 0.1 second—11.6 seconds at 122 mph versus 11.7 at 121—and it stays ahead the rest of the way, hitting 160 mph in 22.1 seconds versus 23.8. In case you're wondering, that quarter-mile time is better than the quickest 505-hp Corvette Z06 we've tested.

Does this mean we'd choose an automatic over a manual in the Turbo? Unless you're planning to spend lots of time at a drag strip, where the all-wheel-drive system might not survive frequent four-wheel burnouts, the answer is no. While at the track the five-speed Tiptronic shifts smoothly and quickly, around town it can become bothersome. First off, Porsche automatics prefer to start in second gear, which seems strange coming from such a performance-oriented company. That means if you dig deep enough into the throttle from a standstill, you get a clunky 2-1 downshift. And the upshifts are often less than crisp, more of a slurring between gears. Also, we'd prefer proper shift paddles—left for downshifts, right for upshifts—mounted behind the steering wheel, instead of the Turbo's toggle switches on the front of the wheel that control shifts in both directions. And, not surprisingly, the response time is noticeably slower than automated manuals like Audi's rapid-shifting dual-clutch DSG. Not helping the Tiptronic's case is the $3420 option price, but maybe at the Turbo's starting price of $123,695, a few grand isn't important.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Hmmm..that is intresting...thanks for info but here is the info I got from other thread...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Here is the key excerpt:

Going in, it was an uphill battle for the automatic. Our test car weighed 3584 pounds, a 70-pound penalty compared with the manual. Furthermore, the automatic launches without much wheelspin, unlike the manual, and it therefore doesn't get off the line as swiftly. We hit 30 mph in 1.3 seconds, which is 0.2-second off the manual's pace. But that early deficit is overcome by the Tiptronic's smooth and quick wide-open-throttle upshifts which keep the turbos spooled up, unlike what happens when you lift to shift in the manual. By 60 mph, that lost time is made up and the Tiptronic matches the manual car's 3.4-second blast. From there, it continues to gain ground and edges out the manual in the quarter-mile by a scant 0.1 second—11.6 seconds at 122 mph versus 11.7 at 121—and it stays ahead the rest of the way, hitting 160 mph in 22.1 seconds versus 23.8. In case you're wondering, that quarter-mile time is better than the quickest 505-hp Corvette Z06 we've tested.
FYI...the best 1/4 mile in a stock Z06 is 10.9 @ 129. No stock 997TT will ever beat that. But yes, the 997TT is very easy to launch while the Z06 is very difficult. The average trap speed between the two cars (120'ish for a stock 997TT vs 124-126 for stock Z06) shows that from a roll...the Z06 will pretty much win everytime..as shown in this video. http://video.google.com/videosearch?...z06&sitesearch=

Also, I have run 7.86 60-130 in my stock Z06. No stock 997TT that I know of has come close that. TIP or manual. Regardless..this isn't about the Z06 versus the 997TT (FWIW, I much prefer the 997TT...but the Z is a great car).

None of that is relevant to my point. At high speeds, when the launch is removed from the equation...manuals will normally beat tips, assuming the person driving the manual can drive. Why? Because TIPs (autos) rob HP from the drive wheels. The quicker shifts and lack of boost drop in a good tip can help make up for it...but the faster you go, the more that loss in drive wheel power effects the TIP car.

It's simple physics.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-30-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
[/b][/i]

FYI...the best 1/4 mile in a stock Z06 is 10.9 @ 129. No stock 997TT will ever beat that. But yes, the 997TT is very easy to launch while the Z06 is very difficult. The average trap speed between the two cars (120'ish for a stock 997TT vs 124-126 for stock Z06) shows that from a roll..the Z06 will pretty much win everytime.

Regardless..this isn't about the Z06 versus the 97TT.

None of that is relevant to my point. At high speeds, when the launch is removed from the equation...manuals will normally beat tips, assuming the person driving the manual can drive. Why? Because TIPs (autos) rob HP from the drive wheels. The quicker shifts and lack of boost drop in a good tip can help make up for it...but the faster you go, the more that loss in drive wheel power effects the TIP car.

It's simple physics.
I understand that but they say otherwise...I am confused...You think car magazine driver lost cuase he coudnt drive manual...I can drive it but I am still curious why even Porsche quotes Tips time faster then manual...If tips should be fastest...may this was with 996 Tip which was muxh slower then manual but with 997 sounds otherwise...

I want manual but I cant stand loosing to my freinds Tips...they are all going to mod also...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I understand that but they say otherwise...I am confused...You think car magazine driver lost cuase he coudnt drive manual...I can drive it but I am still curious why even Porsche quotes Tips time faster then manual...If tips should be fastest...may this was with 996 Tip which was muxh slower then manual but with 997 sounds otherwise...

I want manual but I cant stand loosing to my freinds Tips...they are all going to mod also...

I give up. This is way too much work.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Easy way out LOL

Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
Gt-rus

In our recent exchanges I thought you owned a porsche turbo. I sounds like you did but you do not own one now. You comment as though you are an expert on the current cars but do not even own one so I would suggest buying one and then comment. I have $160,000 in my car and I like to exhange information with other members who actually own a porsche. I am not trying to be offensive but I would suggest to premise you responses on the fact you do not own a porshe.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
It is a lot of work. GT-RUS you have been worried about 1/4 mile times, tire widths, etc. Wait until you get your car that you had posted, give us some pics that it has arrived safely and then perform a couple of launches before you ask for more questions.

It is not a matter that you are asking questions about the car because you want to make the best decision. People do not mind giving some advise. But you have consistently asked for everything about 1/4 times, tires, launch, ZO6vsTT, This vs That and the list goes on.

Get your car first, get acquainted with it so that you can find out what it will do for you. As I have said before if you are looking for 1/4 times why don't you get a Ford 500GT, Z06, ZR1, etc. They all make better 1/4 cars for the money.

As mentioned by many people - the 997 Turbo is a great all around car not aimed at being good at only one thing. You seem to dismiss all the great qualities of the 997TT and only worry about 1/4 times.

Please post pics when you get the car and let us know what "YOU" think of the car and not what "WE" think of the car.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

it's generally only another 3-4% loss....the quick shifts of the tip make up for the loss

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 11.535 on stock 997TT Tip !!!