997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

11.535 on stock 997TT Tip !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche gives it's estimates based on the average driver with a passenger in the car. Anyone can engage launch control and go 3.4 in the Tip, and anyone should be able to go 3.7 in the manual, but a really good driver in the manual should beat the launch control, we just dont see to many VERY VERY good drag racers in P-cars.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
on a road course no respectable enthusiasts would even consider being caught in a tip.
This is true my friend.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Don't get my wrong...would I take a tip 997TT if someone gave one to me, and said "you have to drive it everyday" hell yes. But my point is that is is just a misuse of so much potential. I believe that the OP already has a nice luxurious MB already.

The Porsche should be his dedicated sports car, and should be a 6 speed, IMO.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 AM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
You own one and you don't know how to spell it?
oops - good spot. mind you. just do a search on caymen on this forum - guess everyone is doing it.. !!

Last edited by skyytek; 05-31-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:26 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Dr Jitsu

Whether you know it or not, you are spot on, at least for daily driving. My tip has well over 12K miles on her and the "fun factor" is simply non-existent. My 07 tip is definitely faster than my former 03 X50 6 speed, but unless your driving in manual (which is actual SLOWER than in drive mode) there is no fun, UNLESS you are going all out in the "drive" mode, which is indeed a precarious situation (at least on the streets on NY/LI). Believe it or not, in the "drive" mode with the overboost/sport button engaged (the 2nd thing I do after turning on the car is to egage the sport button) when you are going all out the tip is an absolute ANIMAL. Remember, the tip tranny will hold the gear for several seconds (approx. 8 seconds) after reaching a certain RPM. Furthermore and critically, for average drivers, myself included, the power delivery of the tip allows a driver to focus on driving/picking the right line, etc. If you blow one shift in a 6 speed your history - period - end of story. Which brings me back to the whole boring driving thing. Unfortunately 99.9% of my daily driving is methodically mind-numbing due to astronomical traffic. If my TT were a "Sunday driver" or I had minimal traffic issues, regardless of the BS acceleration issues I would have opted for the sporty choice; to wit. a 6 speed. That being said, although my tip may bore the purist it will absolutely KICK *** when push comes to shove. Just ask the owner of a flaming orange LP640 I encountered earlier this year or the bright metallic blue Z06 that spun its wheels through 2 gears while I decimated him to 100 mph or so. When its all said and done I'd rather have the 6 speed for the "fun" factor, but never ever discount a tip anywhere on the street - you may be in for a surprise.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Ok..whatever you say my friend...I dont want to argue with you...One mag posted Tips 0-160 times almost 2ecs faster then 6 speed manual...why cause you dont loose boost with TIPS...My freind with stock Tips beat Rinpseed 630 HP and Edo Competition 600 HP 997 TTs both manual...may be the owners retards then like u said..i dont know really...

At the end of the day I decided to spend more money and get newer generation grandma 997 TT...eventhough I had really good offer on nicely moded GT2...will see how fast will it be later

A tip is absolutely NOT faster that a 6 speed, unless you are a complete retard in terms of driving skill.

The ONLY reason to get a tip is if you use your 997 TT as a daily driver in city traffic...but I would never get the 997TT for that purpose (an SMG BMW is a much better car for that purpose).

RUS, if you had not annoyed me (ME, as you always say, lol) I would have created the perfect car for you: A 2002-2003 GT2 w/ K24/18 hybrid turbos, headers, exhuast, EVO IC's, and an upgraded clutch. A similarly equipped car ran my GT2 , which has 35K in upgrades and won the #3 place among all street cars in America, even.

This car could have been created for less than you have already spent and is on a whole other level. What you have is a fast grandma mobile that is really only good for #6 on your list.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Originally Posted by heavychevy
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche gives it's estimates based on the average driver with a passenger in the car. Anyone can engage launch control and go 3.4 in the Tip, and anyone should be able to go 3.7 in the manual, but a really good driver in the manual should beat the launch control, we just dont see to many VERY VERY good drag racers in P-cars.
I didnt know that Tips has launch control

Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Very interesting point of view...I guess am in simular situation...

I will be getting thicker steering wheel with F1 paddle shifters to get some fun back

Originally Posted by tortesq1
Dr Jitsu

Whether you know it or not, you are spot on, at least for daily driving. My tip has well over 12K miles on her and the "fun factor" is simply non-existent. My 07 tip is definitely faster than my former 03 X50 6 speed, but unless your driving in manual (which is actual SLOWER than in drive mode) there is no fun, UNLESS you are going all out in the "drive" mode, which is indeed a precarious situation (at least on the streets on NY/LI). Believe it or not, in the "drive" mode with the overboost/sport button engaged (the 2nd thing I do after turning on the car is to egage the sport button) when you are going all out the tip is an absolute ANIMAL. Remember, the tip tranny will hold the gear for several seconds (approx. 8 seconds) after reaching a certain RPM. Furthermore and critically, for average drivers, myself included, the power delivery of the tip allows a driver to focus on driving/picking the right line, etc. If you blow one shift in a 6 speed your history - period - end of story. Which brings me back to the whole boring driving thing. Unfortunately 99.9% of my daily driving is methodically mind-numbing due to astronomical traffic. If my TT were a "Sunday driver" or I had minimal traffic issues, regardless of the BS acceleration issues I would have opted for the sporty choice; to wit. a 6 speed. That being said, although my tip may bore the purist it will absolutely KICK *** when push comes to shove. Just ask the owner of a flaming orange LP640 I encountered earlier this year or the bright metallic blue Z06 that spun its wheels through 2 gears while I decimated him to 100 mph or so. When its all said and done I'd rather have the 6 speed for the "fun" factor, but never ever discount a tip anywhere on the street - you may be in for a surprise.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
BradPete is infamous around these parts
Why you would buy a 997 with a tip is beyond me. these cars are 1000% more fun w/ a 6 speed.
Nice opinion, but I would not change my Tip to manual ever, even I track my car fairly often, maybe 1000 laps a season....

Driving in track with Tip is different, but You get more focused on driving /- lines! Also, I can not mention any defects with it in track use... so I have my fun factor 100% with Tip!!

I want definately new PDK when it is arriving!

This same discussion was in Ferrari forum's, few years back majority was for manual, today only 10 % of cars ordered are manuals!!

And I know F1 is better than Tip- still I enjoy Tip and would not change back to manual 6-speed!

I have track experience with manual 996TT & manual 997TT, one can say it is a matter of taste, but latest when PDK arrives majority will go for it!!

Last edited by BradPete; 06-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
In any event, I hope you enjoy your car, Rus and wish you the best.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM
In any event, I hope you enjoy your car, Rus and wish you the best.
Thanks...I hope I will soon