997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Nissan sets new time at the 'Ring with standard GT-R (Official)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 AM
timeattack07gt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Almo
For the record, it isn't that I don't like the GT-R nor do I care to get mingled amongst a car I don't have, two cars at that as this thread's intent was to rib the 997 TT. My better judgment asks why all the push with the GT-R and therefore I am one that pushes back. Are there better cars than a 997 TT... well that depends on who you ask and their preference... otherwise... it is all in the eyes and seat of the pants of the beholder.

Lastly, my 11.80... even 11.50 post saying such times out of a GT-R are slow is just that. Nothing against the car but I would think the hype and numbers revolving around the vehicle would have this car nearing low 11 territory. I know the weight is playing a huge factor but it is obvious the GT-R is underrated going through an AWD and still putting down numbers in the 450 range. This equates to a SAE 5% drive train loss and again... through an AWD system? *smirk* I believe when the GT-Rs hit the States having been reported with just 10 pounds of boost, these vehicles will put down more in line of 420s to 430s at the wheels once broken in.

That said though, I'll stand by to be corrected otherwise.

Cheers!<O</O
That helps me understand where you are coming from. I'd like to apologize if I came off overly offensive, especially since you're a fellow Rustang owner lol. I can get jumpy when people disrepect something that I have a particular enthusiasm for, in the case of the GT-R. I've never followed the hype created by moronic fanbois when it comes to certain cars, as I rather see physcial proof or evidence of its performance statistics. Not just because it's labelled as "Godzilla", and should assumingly be capable of a 9 second 1/4 mile. Either way, a 11.8 or 11.5 is impressive for a car that can lap the Ring in 7:29 seconds, is a practical daily driver capable of driving in snow and icy conditions without much of a fuss, has back seats, and lots of other nice features all for about the price of a Z06, and close to half that of a TT. This doesn't mean it's a better car than the Turbo, but I don't think you can discredit what it's capable of in terms of outright performance, like so many people try to do. I think it was quoted by one of the Nissan engineers that the drivetrain loss was close to around 10%, due to the use of reduced friction bearings, and ensured alingment of the driveshafts,among whatever else. Whether the 10% loss is true, I doubht we'll ever know...it's definately a low figure for an awd system though. Cheers.

Last edited by timeattack07gt; 05-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by timeattack07gt
That helps me understand where you are coming from, in terms of where you stand with your views. I'd like to apologize if I came off overly offensive, especially since you're a fellow Rustang owner lol. I can get jumpy when people disrepect something that I have a particular enthusiasm for, in the case of the GT-R. I've never followed the hype created by moronic fanbois when it comes to certain cars, as I rather see physcial proof or evidence of its performance statistics. Not just because it's labelled as "Godzilla", and should assumingly be capable of a 9 second 1/4 mile. Either way, a 11.8 or 11.5 is impressive for a car that can lap the Ring in 7:29 seconds, is a practical daily driver capable of driving in snow and icy conditions without much of a fuss, has back seats, and lots of other nice features all for about the price of a Z06, and close to half that of a TT. This doesn't mean it's a better car than the Turbo, but I don't think you can discredit what it's capable of in terms of outright performance, like so many people try to do. I think it was quoted by one of the Nissan engineers that the drivetrain loss was close to around 10%, due to the use of reduced friction bearings, and ensured alingment of the driveshafts,among whatever else. Whether the 10% loss is true, I doubht we'll ever know...it's definately a low figure for an awd system though. Cheers.

Fair enough... Good luck on your track ventures!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
My god. You guys added over 5 pages to this thread over the weekend? The GTR if nothing else is generating hits and sponsor cash for a Porsche enthusiast site - and actually far more traffic and sponsor cash here than for NAGTROC. Bonze, Z07, Timeattack et al, you are in a way already stepping up to the Porsche world!

Last edited by eclou; 05-05-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
My god. You guys added over 5 pages to this thread over the weekend? The GTR if nothing else is generating hits and sponsor cash for a Porsche enthusiast site - and actually far more traffic and sponsor cash here than for NAGTROC. Bonze, Z07, Timeattack et al, you are in a way already stepping up to the Porsche world!
No problems, we have to provide you with some form of handicap.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bvi
Topic of discussion: Standard GTR 7:29 at the ring.

What other car that has been mentioned in this thread has run faster? How does the price point of the GTR compare with any competitors?

Demands respect, anything less discounts you as a car enthusiast....
I agree with this 110%. Very impressive car. What people fail to realize is that this particular car is not for me, no matter how good it is. That doesn't make me a GTR hater.

People who buy a 997TT don't buy it under the false belief that it is the fastest car money can buy. They have their own reasons, whether it's brand loyalty, the appearance, or various other reasons.

Many have argued that you can't buy the car yet, so don't bench race. I'm fairly confident that with equal drivers, when the car is available, it will show the 997TT its tail lights. I still don't want one.

Take this argument over to the Ferrari forums and see how many will sell their Ferrari for a GTR. I'll bet it will be less than 0.1%.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah more useless postings by NAGTROC members who are bored beating each other up over how to plug a PS3 into the NAV/DISPLAY screen in the HOW TO section at NAGTROC so they came over here.

The shorter gearing will help you around the track fellas but it won't help you put taillights in front of us.

Over 95% of us cannot tell the difference between a second on the track because we can't drive over 7/10th of either cars ability. So the arguement is pointless and more so with the fact that we don't have a US spec R35 GT-R here yet. I can put myself in line right now for one and have considered one because I have always liked the GT-R. What I don't like is the constant unproven details that several posters have been beating into this thread and this forum. IF YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT AGAINST A 997TT then you DON'T KNOW JACK!

Paper racing is for fools. Go find someone else to NAG over at NAGTROC and leave this place for the 997 Owners.

Be done with this already.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Yeah more useless postings by NAGTROC members who are bored beating each other up over how to plug a PS3 into the NAV/DISPLAY screen in the HOW TO section at NAGTROC so they came over here.

The shorter gearing will help you around the track fellas but it won't help you put taillights in front of us.

Over 95% of us cannot tell the difference between a second on the track because we can't drive over 7/10th of either cars ability. So the arguement is pointless and more so with the fact that we don't have a US spec R35 GT-R here yet. I can put myself in line right now for one and have considered one because I have always liked the GT-R. What I don't like is the constant unproven details that several posters have been beating into this thread and this forum. IF YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT AGAINST A 997TT then you DON'T KNOW JACK!

Paper racing is for fools. Go find someone else to NAG over at NAGTROC and leave this place for the 997 Owners.

Be done with this already.
Yes we do.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned
bonzelite is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PbPedis
I agree with this 110%. Very impressive car. What people fail to realize is that this particular car is not for me, no matter how good it is. That doesn't make me a GTR hater.

People who buy a 997TT don't buy it under the false belief that it is the fastest car money can buy. They have their own reasons, whether it's brand loyalty, the appearance, or various other reasons.

Many have argued that you can't buy the car yet, so don't bench race. I'm fairly confident that with equal drivers, when the car is available, it will show the 997TT its tail lights. I still don't want one.

Take this argument over to the Ferrari forums and see how many will sell their Ferrari for a GTR. I'll bet it will be less than 0.1%.
Some sobriety of reason. Exactly yes agree 110% back to you.

You buy the car you like for reasons that only you need. You're buying the car for you (hopefully) and for your individual criteria of style, taste, price, and performance.... and something else you probably can't put your finger on. It's just "right" and you feel it.

I wouldn't buy a Porsche. Don't care how great they are, how lush their heritage is... just isn't my thing.

As for Ferrari people, most couldn't care any less about the GT-R stepping on Ferrari's performance "heritage." Ferrari is a connoisseur's automobile and has far more appeal than just Nurburgring benchmarks.

It's historically one of the most beautifully made cars in the world (you'd have to be brain-dead to not want a 250SWB).

You'll see some of the same arguments for and against the GT-R over there, though:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=gtr

Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned
What I don't like is the constant unproven details that several posters have been beating into this thread and this forum.
There isn't anything unproven. It beat 997tt at 7:38 and now at 7:29. You don't need to drive either car to read that information.

It will only worsen with the V Spec that will beat 7:29. Porsche isn't setting the pace anymore. Nissan is leading; this was very calculated.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
Independent Inside Line test of private-owned bone stock R35:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/19/i...its-very-fast/

Independent CAR test of R35 bone stock, private car, against 997tt:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vb8LbQPNrRc&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jtLCMQTq9Xo&feature=related

AutoCar UK test of R35, 911 GT3, M3:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hjwJl4t-DF8&feature=related

These are only some of the tests.

There is no question as to the R35 GT-R's performance.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
[quote=bonzelite;1831696]There isn't anything unproven. It beat 997tt at 7:38 and now at 7:29. You don't need to drive either car to read that information.

You still don't get it. It has never been about the GT-R beating up on the 997TT on the ring. It was about how some tests all of a sudden dethrones a car that has consistently remained at the top of its class. Nissan still has many years to get there. It hasn't proven reliability yet, quality control will be interesting and lets see how the service department does. Don't give me the song and dance on GT-R history - I know it very well. We are talking about a new engine, new clutch, new enhanced AWD system and A LOT and I MEAN A LOT of new gadgets to get it to do what it does.

It has a lot of prove and I wish it well. I don't live and breath one marquee brand. I appreciate many cars from an old Classic such as my 68 RS/SS Convertible, E46/E39 M's and everything inbetween.

But the GT-R fanboys needs to get a grip on NEW KING, DETHRONE, BYE BYE PORSCHE attitude because this world is much bigger than the GT-R realm.

As a whole the Nissan brand cannot command a 70-100K Nissan for a long while. Inifiniti has a hard time already and you think Nissan will be better at it?

The GT-R is a pure enthusiasts car and thats it. No Nissan Shopper is going in to get a GT-R because they passed by it and liked the sport seats.

I will own one as an FYI. But not at the 70-80K mark. Not worth it to me at that price point. Is the 997TT worth at it's price point? Probably not but it didn't bother me as much

Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

You still don't get it. It has never been about the GT-R beating up on the 997TT on the ring.
That was the goal and was met.

It was about how some tests all of a sudden dethrones a car that has consistently remained at the top of its class.
911 is no longer at the top of this class; doesn't matter if Porsche has been around since the time of Jesus.

Nissan still has many years to get there. It hasn't proven reliability yet, quality control will be interesting and lets see how the service department does.
Nissan has been winning with the GT-R since 1969. The other factors will apply to any new platform. So far, the SuperGT 500 RWD V8 GT-R is totally dominating.

Don't give me the song and dance on GT-R history - I know it very well. We are talking about a new engine, new clutch, new enhanced AWD system and A LOT and I MEAN A LOT of new gadgets to get it to do what it does.
So you're pessimistic. I'm optimistic. Your glass is half-empty. Mine is 1/2 full. Tomato/tomah-to

It has a lot of prove and I wish it well. I don't live and breath one marquee brand. I appreciate many cars from an old Classic such as my 68 RS/SS Convertible, E46/E39 M's and everything inbetween.
Ok, me too. I don't only like one car or one marque.

But the GT-R fanboys needs to get a grip on NEW KING, DETHRONE, BYE BYE PORSCHE attitude because this world is much bigger than the GT-R realm.
Of course it is, the point is about the dismantling of the assumed dominance of the 911. That has been uprooted wholesale in the media like the asteroid that killed the dinosaur.

As a whole the Nissan brand cannot command a 70-100K Nissan for a long while. Inifiniti has a hard time already and you think Nissan will be better at it?

The GT-R is a pure enthusiasts car and thats it. No Nissan Shopper is going in to get a GT-R because they passed by it and liked the sport seats.

I will own one as an FYI. But not at the 70-80K mark. Not worth it to me at that price point. Is the 997TT worth at it's price point? Probably not but it didn't bother me as much
The GT-R is beyond Infiniti and all else. It has shattered expectations; I agree it's an enthusiast's car. It has been this since it's inception, appealing to a narrow few.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonzelite
Snipped....

Bonzelite,

You write eloquently, you don't make obvious personal attacks, and you seem to be reasonably intelligent. One problem, though; you only post on this forum in order to argue with Porsche owners about the GT-R. And to tell the truth, I'm extremely tired of the all of the trolling by you GT-R fans. Therefore, I'm cleaning house.

Good bye.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Scott, you are my hero!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Scott, you are my hero!
LOL...I'm just sick and tired of all the drama created by these guys, Dez.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan sets new time at the 'Ring with standard GT-R (Official)