997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Nissan sets new time at the 'Ring with standard GT-R (Official)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Pauly is infamous around these parts
The R35 is an amazing sports car. And like many have already said:
Nissan has raised the bar and Porsche will probably respond.

But think about this: Any 997 Turbo owner could obviously purchase a GTR.

Now ask yourself this: Why are (not all) 997 TT owners going to keep their Porsche.

I'll leave the answer(s) up to you.

Anyway you look at it be happy and enjoy what ever you own.

Obviously, everyone on this forum is very passionate about cars. So we should not get offended when a "Troll" submits anything about another make or model (Z06, or GTR). This is IMO what keeps it interesting.
Competition is good.

Peace to all.

I'm out.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:18 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
^ That is exactly the viewpoint I would agree with.

This isn't an argument about which one you'd rather have, as that is a matter of preference/taste/needs and what have you. And ultimately that argument is irrelevant until actually brought up during purchase considerations and simply a moot point depending on each individual.

The point is Nissan did something spectacular, does this mean the world will stop until everyone has a GTR?
No, it's a damn point of interest or discussion amongst "car enthusiasts" and I use the term lightly around here. The discussion is about facts/events not about preference, ego, or elitist BS that is constantly sprayed everywhere.

The GTR is undeniably fast, kinda fugly (while it has grown on me) and is pushing the car world ahead. Any car enthusiast should be glad it exists and does what it does for the price, it will just spur on competition and inspire better and better cars just like any improvement has, since the dawn of time, or has everyone forgotten about that?

All I see on this forum is that whenever a thread is posted, a bunch of 997TT owners get their panties tied up in a knot, shout "WHO CARES, I'd still take a 997!" or "Trolllllllllllllllllllllllll!!"

This response is the same elicited from small children when some other child has a better toy. It is incredibly juvenile and gives away your insecurity more than anything. Ultimately it equally as stupid as a GTR fanboy saying the GTR in any form (VSPEC or not) is a "better" car as compared to a faster one/capable one.

I always thought that if you are happy with your choice and an adult, you think "WHO GIVES A ****, it's a great car, but not my cup of tea?" Instead of the veritable "Pssh, it's just a Nissan, even if it is faster: come look at my plethora of heritage and interior build quality attitude."

No one is asking anyone here to buy the GTR and get rid of their 997, it's simply a discussion about a fast car. I will say it need its own forum division at this stage, but I doubt most of the posters are trying to get under anyone's skin really. But it seems more and more that if Porsche had released a car that was under 100k and was about as fast as a CGT or faster, then it would be hailed as an earth-shattering, automotive industry shaking accomplishment that would be paraded around every which way and compared to anything Ferrari/Lambo/Pagani etc has. But it seems because there is a "lowly" Nissan badge on the vehicle that did it, it is worthless.

I don't know, I'm still young, maybe I have yet to find the Pretentious Bran amongst my oats every morning. To me a badge is only representative of what other people think about my car. Ideally if I'm happy, I could give a crap about what badge it has or what anyone else thinks about my car, but I sure as hell wouldn't act the way half the members here act because of what they have in their garage.

But again, this is the internet, the place for giant egos and pretentious attitudes to shine forth. So keep on keepin on...it is good for drama I guess...

Last edited by stradaONE8; 05-01-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
ummm....... who are you again?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GotBoost?

Probably a GTR fan trying to rub it in.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
hahaha, sorry my post count isn't in the hundreds/thousands or that you don't know me in real life. But, solid argument about the topic itself...way to address anything I actually said without questioning who I am, as if it mattered on an ANONYMOUS internet forum.

I know a couple members here and I decided to join a while ago, much of my posts have been in GTR threads, but if you'd searched any of them you'd know I could give a **** about either a P-car or the GTR aside from wanting a casual debate of their merits without resorting to personal bull**** or which one makes you feel all gummy inside.
Me and heavychevy have gotten into it a couple times, but I use this forum for discussion and knowledge and although I disagreed with him a bunch, I still give him credit for a lot of his perspective on the matter that I came here for.

I guess my e-respect isn't sufficient enough for anyone to address actual points, again, another example of your maturity to call out my post count instead of my post.

And for the record, since none of you would search before calling witch I'd take GT3 over a GTR but not a 997TT, that is my preference and still has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Please call me a fanboy again, it will give your reading ability the credit it truly deserves...

Last edited by stradaONE8; 05-02-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
Oh come on!! not another GTR thread again...

Old 05-02-2008, 05:56 AM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Well here's an article explaining why the NEW stock GTR got a faster lap time:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ed-for-Europe/

Since some of the parts of the currently out in Japan GTR are breaking down, they figured its time for a few upgrades, which will be present on the American and Euro versions of the GTR...

Old 05-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by RiceEater
Well here's an article explaining why the NEW stock GTR got a faster lap time:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ed-for-Europe/

Since some of the parts of the currently out in Japan GTR are breaking down, they figured its time for a few upgrades, which will be present on the American and Euro versions of the GTR...
Thanks for the info RiceEater. I find it a bit suspect that they call it the same ol GTR setting a new lap time without so much as mention of mods. That is a bit shady on Nissan's part to say a DRIVER shaved 9 seconds off the time as compared to a driver with a slightly modified car, which would render the 9 seconds less impressive.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
hahaha, sorry my post count isn't in the hundreds/thousands or that you don't know me in real life. But, solid argument about the topic itself...way to address anything I actually said without questioning who I am, as if it mattered on an ANONYMOUS internet forum.

I know a couple members here and I decided to join a while ago, much of my posts have been in GTR threads, but if you'd searched any of them you'd know I could give a **** about either a P-car or the GTR aside from wanting a casual debate of their merits without resorting to personal bull**** or which one makes you feel all gummy inside.
Me and heavychevy have gotten into it a couple times, but I use this forum for discussion and knowledge and although I disagreed with him a bunch, I still give him credit for a lot of his perspective on the matter that I came here for.

I guess my e-respect isn't sufficient enough for anyone to address actual points, again, another example of your maturity to call out my post count instead of my post.

And for the record, since none of you would search before calling witch I'd take GT3 over a GTR but not a 997TT, that is my preference and still has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Please call me a fanboy again, it will give your reading ability the credit it truly deserves...
C'mon Strad. How many GTR threads have been started by 1-2 post new members? Each time a thread is dropped on the doorstep like a burning bag of dog****. You're supposed to be smart enough to understand the secondary gain going on. Every new thread here is even hot-linked back to NAGTROC where members there giggle like little girls over their prank. To call it disingenuous would be kind.

Last edited by eclou; 05-02-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
^ haha, good analogy and fair enough.
But my point is, screw the fanboys who 1) don't own the car and 2) aren't here for a discussion but rather a flame war.

I am simply saying, every time a post is created here that isn't inflammatory, is it so much to ask for a discussion or at the very least ignore it?
You can read the first one on this thread, the post (after edit is the only way I saw it) is just about the official time of the GTR not about which one you'd rather have or any of that nonsense.

I'm glad RiceEater brought the issue of mods to everyone's attention, it is precisely the the type of discussion that addresses the issues and not the squabbling between NAGTROC and 6speed members that invariable will ensue when the "which would you rather" argument comes up.
And if it had to be class, I'll say it once and I'll say it again, I'd much rather step out of the Porsche (TT or GT3) in most situations. Around the track is the issue I'd like to look at with a not GTR salivating crowd. But it becomes increasingly more impossible as members here continue to take the battle personally.
Which is why I keep bringing up, if you're happy, who cares...nothing anyone says about your car should affect you all that much.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 05-02-2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: i cant splel
Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why every GT-R thread has new members posting info on it. Do you guy's need Porsche forum approval? It's a great car, but jeez, what are you guys trying to say/prove here? The GT-R might perform incredibly, but the Porsche experience is different. Afterall its not all about the speed that matters to most of us!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
with all the hatin' if true that is still a major accomplishment for a new vehicle. kudos to nissan, they need it.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !

Uh Ok Great One. I guess you were the authority on this topic. Sorry I didn't realize.

My point is this. If a credible member of 6Speed were to bring up these topics, I think it would rather be well received. The problem is that all the pro GTR threads are started by newcomers like yourself. Like all the GTR fanboys have to get the Porsche world approval or something.

I don't want to stereotype, but most all of those fanboys are very very young like yourself. I guess the real question is, have you had enough seat time in any of these cars to make any claim? When members like Heavy or Eclou present their arguments, alot of it comes from personal experience on the track. Where do your arguments come from? Where is your credibility or the credibility of any GTR fanboy that posts on this forum? How much seat time have you had behind the wheel of a Porsche or a GTR?

All I can tell you is this. I have had plenty of seat time behind several Porsche cars. I can tell you all about them. I cannot tell you much about a GTR because I haven't driven the new one yet. I guess in a nut shell, I am still 50% ahead of you in credibility beacuse at least I can make claims about the Porsche cars from personal experience. You on the other hand cannot make any claims on either car other than what you have read in magazines and seen on you tube. I hope you see why some of us get annoyed by these GTR threads.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
timeattack07gt is infamous around these parts
^ haha, good analogy and fair enough.
But my point is, screw the fanboys who 1) don't own the car and 2) aren't here for a discussion but rather a flame war.

I am simply saying, every time a post is created here that isn't inflammatory, is it so much to ask for a discussion or at the very least ignore it?
You can read the first one on this thread, the post (after edit is the only way I saw it) is just about the official time of the GTR not about which one you'd rather have or any of that nonsense.

I'm glad RiceEater brought the issue of mods to everyone's attention, it is precisely the the type of discussion that addresses the issues and not the squabbling between NAGTROC and 6speed members that invariable will ensue when the "which would you rather" argument comes up.
And if it had to be class, I'll say it once and I'll say it again, I'd much rather step out of the Porsche (TT or GT3) in most situations. Around the track is the issue I'd like to look at with a not GTR salivating crowd. But it becomes increasingly more impossible as members here continue to take the battle personally.
Which is why I keep bringing up, if you're happy, who cares...nothing anyone says about your car should affect you all that much.
Although I agree with your viewpoints entirely, I suggest you just stay away from any GT-R related material around this neck of the woods, as the members don't seem to be too friendly toward any outsider discussion or reasoning. It's understandable to an extent, as I will say the thread starting trolling around here is rather ridiculous. When I attempted to reasonably and fairly compare the GT-R and 997TT for my personal usage, I automatically got jumped on for the default excuse of lacking credibility, although I thought I made a pretty reasonable assessment of both cars merits and faults. Using my intuition, track experience, literature knowledge, and experience behind the wheel of a wide range of Porsches, I thought I would have had just as much say as almost anyone else around here, when considering how few people have experienced driving both cars. People around here seem to take things the wrong way...but I think some of it is due in part to all of the "I gotta throw it in their face" trolling. I mean what is the reason for all of these GT-R affiliated propaganda threads in a 997 Turbo forum? lol.

Last edited by timeattack07gt; 05-02-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned
skyline_man is infamous around these parts
Thanks for registering just to bring another Nissan thread to the Porsche 911 turbo forum. I will in kind start 6-10 troll threads on the NAGTROC and GTROC.uk in kind.
Yeah go ahead, wonder what you can say to make Nissan guys pissed off?.....errrr, 911 turbo is faster (Nissan guys laughing)....ummm, 911 turbo has a better badge (Bigger laughs).... ahhhh, 911 costs more so it has to be better (Nissan guys ROFL).... Seriously, I own a 997 turbo and i've just came back from Japan where I drove a friend's R35 GTR and to be honest - the GTR makes the Porsche seem so overpriced and feels so obsolete.
The interior is actually on par with the 997 turbo quality wise and is slightly more luxurious. The driving experience? Very different. Where the Porker is a widow maker, the GTR is just pure control. I can see that the main advantage that the GTR has over the turbo is in its remarkable 4wd system and DSG gearbox. I'm a car enthusiast and i don't buy a car just so that i can pose (can't say the same about most of the members on here). The GTR is not a car for posing, and i'm definitely getting one for track use. Hell, it even makes a better weekender car than the Porker with that big boot!!
As one famous journalist puts it, " Even if the GTR and 997 turbo were the same price, the GTR is still THE BETTER car". Source, CAR magazine Australia.

Last edited by skyline_man; 05-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nissan sets new time at the 'Ring with standard GT-R (Official)