997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 tt owner says "but truthfully...."

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
997 tt owner says "but truthfully...."

aren't we tired of about overpriced orange color boxsters as a model enticement, about Designer Caymans that sit on the showroom floor, about 5000 lb GTS Cayennes and turbo Cayennes that get 10 mpg and no one wants any more.

While the competition forges ahead in the 80K-150K range, with what and when will Porsche respond.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 AM
mricorp is infamous around these parts
^ I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 AM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
It's sad to say, but Porsche is becoming less about performance and more about its profits. It's to be expected with its success as the world's most profitable car company. Even Ferrari's CEO mentioned there's a few things that they can learn from them.

To date, I've been unhappy with the following:
-Release of a 997TT that didn't SMASH the competition: Early estimates and expectations of horsepower were not met (as an owner I really wanted over 500hp). On top of that, the suspension was made more "lively" but also slower, when compared to the 996TT. Ruf RT12's, which are 997's, still use 996TT suspension for their 4wd versions. They also use a modified 996TT engine (without VTG) to reach the desired boost levels. I guess I can understand the sensitivity of Porsche copying Ruf, but I really think the choices for the 997TT should be re-evaluated.

-Cayman hardtop costs more than its equivalent Boxster sibling, and is the ONLY car that has a price set up as such, despite having equal horsepower.

-Model range hierarchy is no longer competitive with the power it offers against its competitors: z4 hp > Boxster hp, m3/c63/rs4 hp> base Carrera, Corvette hp > 997TT hp.

-All resources and development is being deployed towards Porsche's newest model: the 4 door Panamera! Too bad it doesn't look like the concept picture. The Fisker Karma does a better job.

Oh well, at least the facelifted 997s have PDK, DFI, and Bluetooth, finally. I'll try to stay happy until I see the next turbo engine (which may or may not be wet sump )

Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
mricorp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RiceEater
It's sad to say, but Porsche is becoming less about performance and more about its profits. It's to be expected with its success as the world's most profitable car company. Even Ferrari's CEO mentioned there's a few things that they can learn from them.

To date, I've been unhappy with the following:
-Release of a 997TT that didn't SMASH the competition: Early estimates and expectations of horsepower were not met (as an owner I really wanted over 500hp). On top of that, the suspension was made more "lively" but also slower, when compared to the 996TT. Ruf RT12's, which are 997's, still use 996TT suspension for their 4wd versions. They also use a modified 996TT engine (without VTG) to reach the desired boost levels. I guess I can understand the sensitivity of Porsche copying Ruf, but I really think the choices for the 997TT should be re-evaluated.

-Cayman hardtop costs more than its equivalent Boxster sibling, and is the ONLY car that has a price set up as such, despite having equal horsepower.

-Model range hierarchy is no longer competitive with the power it offers against its competitors: z4 hp > Boxster hp, m3/c63/rs4 hp> base Carrera, Corvette hp > 997TT hp.

-All resources and development is being deployed towards Porsche's newest model: the 4 door Panamera! Too bad it doesn't look like the concept picture. The Fisker Karma does a better job.

Oh well, at least the facelifted 997s have PDK, DFI, and Bluetooth, finally. I'll try to stay happy until I see the next turbo engine (which may or may not be wet sump )
Soo then go buy something else. That's the beauty of a free society.

Do you own a Porsche? I think anyone that does, knows there is lot more to it than horsepower. Always has been, always will be.

And just in case you weren't aware I'm going to let you in on a little secret..........corporations exist to make profits. Doesn't matter whether it's Porsche, Microsoft, or the corner deli. They each may have a differnet formula to get there; but in the end they exist to make money.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Let's face it, power is not an issue for the 997 TT, and the TT has drifted away from performance, but that has been a continuing trend starting with the 996TT. The 993's were the last true pure driver TT's. Now with the GT2 and GT3 there is no need for the TT to be to driver oriented and sporty, so it's becoming more GT'ish to appeal to a broader range of people. Which is smart.

Porsche wouldnt sell any more TT's if the TT was faster on a circuit. And they realize that. They could have easily put the power that's on the GT2 on the TT or somewhere in between, but that's not the goal of the car.

FACE IT, THE TT IS NO LONGER THE PERFORMANCE 911. It carries over because of it's heritage, but that's not it's main target anymore, and as long as there is a GT2, it will never be again. It's still the "flagship" because it's the best blend of both, but there have been faster cars than 911's for the longest, and it's right where it's always been, in the top tier, but now there are more top tier (in performance) cars.

There are not many cars that run faster than mid 11's in the 1/4 mile. I"m not real happy with the degredation of the suspension myself and it seems pretty appearant that it was a lame attempt to make it handle like a RWD car and be more GT like which is why it's still growing in size and wheelbase.

This is where the TT is supposed to be, and they'll add some power and make an S or X50 version at some point, but it will still be a GT car.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 AM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mricorp
Soo then go buy something else. That's the beauty of a free society.

Do you own a Porsche? I think anyone that does, knows there is lot more to it than horsepower. Always has been, always will be.

And just in case you weren't aware I'm going to let you in on a little secret..........corporations exist to make profits. Doesn't matter whether it's Porsche, Microsoft, or the corner deli. They each may have a differnet formula to get there; but in the end they exist to make money.
I'm afraid that I will be looking into something else, if this trend continues from Porsche. I never really understood Ruf when they mentioned that they give you "more Porsche", but now I do.

BTW, Yes, I've owned several Porsche's and currently own a TT. I question why I bought it now since it is the top of the line Porsche, but doesn't smash the competition like the 993 Turbo did when it first came out.

In response to your sharing of the epiphany above regarding corporations and profit: No ****!
Read the second line of my previous post stating Porsche's success at being the world's most profitable.

I don't have an issue with their profit making and success. I DO have a problem with them letting the TT become a GT car and perhaps going to a wet sump engine design.

Heavychevy's post makes sense. Porsche does have the GT2 for tracks and performance. The turbo's market had to be broadened in order for it to be more profitable.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
nzk
nzk is infamous around these parts
in that vain, they should lower the price of the 997 to compete with the new market they are aiming for.
but they are out there to make a profit, and as long as people are willing to pay a higher price for the badge on the hood, it will continue to be priced like an exotic, but perform like a turbo'd boxster.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned
skyline_man is infamous around these parts
Frankly, i don't see that Porsche is falling behind at all. Far from it. They may not be the most powerful in their class, but what they lack in power - they make up in handling, feel and downright fast quarter mile speed for the power. Remember that Porsche cars are also more refined than their competitors and their sales is due a lot to customer loyalty and respect.
In the case of the 997 turbo, there is no need for Porsche to make it a huge jump from the 996. That would be suicidal in terms of company strategy and profits. They only need to make the car as good or a little better than what the competition offers. It's called 'milking the public' and good companies are very good at 'milking'.
But now that Nissan has release the GTR - which IMO is a better car than the 997 turbo, Porsche can now respond and respond they will. Remember that the 997 already has a few years head start on the GTR in terms of sales, so Porsche aint too worry about it. But their next turbo must be better than the GTR or else they will lose customer loyalty and respect.

Last edited by skyline_man; 05-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Let's not forget about the coming Audi R8 with the V10

The standard R8 has gotten good reviews although I feel it could use more power. That things going to be really sweet with the V10 and should give the current 997tt a real challenge.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned
skyline_man is infamous around these parts
The R8 is not in the same league as the 997 turbo performance wise.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I that's what he said, hence the mention of the V10 model R8.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by turbonator
The standard R8 has gotten good reviews although I feel it could use more power. That things going to be really sweet with the V10 and should give the current 997tt a real challenge.
It will beat the current 997TT. I have no doubt.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM
hotsauce is infamous around these parts
The R8 is also car of the year. It's not like some no-name nothing car is going to "beat" the 997.

It's called niche marketing. The R8 is a unique, and fantastic package. The 997TT is as well, but for different reasons.

Horsepower is merely a number - part of the package of the 997TT is the power it creates at all times. If you want a dyno queen, buy a supra.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Porsche believes in glacial incrementalism. Example, the 996 was introduced in 1999 and it had about 300hp. The 997 base 911 Y2008 320hp. The face lift y2009 911 model will get 340hp. So it took TEN years to increase the hp by 40.

Their styling cues are no faster. They are so subtle from one model to the next it is almost impossible to tell the difference between model years. Now many feel that is good while others including many car magazines joke that Porsche lacks a design department. It is no wonder that they refer to the 911 styling as a "retro joke".

Porsche believes all models should look alike. There are good reasons for doing this. You have a models ranging from $40,000 to $200,000 with very similar looks and foot print. The design department need not be creative and is a lot cheaper. Also, they share a host of parts (it is estimated that the Boxster and 911 share over 50% parts) which allows Porsche to be the envy of the auto industry profit wise.

That said, Porsche also knows its customers well. They will buy what the marketing department sells them. Consider this; if the GT-R had a Porsche badge how many on this board would be running to their dealers to get in line to buy one?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I buy what I like and I don't care if a less expensive car has XYor Z any more than cubic zirconia looks like a diamond.

It's not a big secret that Porsche hasn't "smashed the competition" but it certainly remains high enough raise attention as the benchmark .

Automobiles du jour have come and gone but the Porsche 911 model has made its mark in auto history for several decades . Buying a Porsche for me is not about beating the Corvette or GTR (even though my 700 HP upgrade ought to cream them --yet I still don't care) .

I buy the car because it captures my interest as being an automibile with a history that I feel is not only significant but the essence of what i feel driving is about .

You want a fast car
Or lower gas mileage than the SUV
Or less out the door cost

Buy what captures your heart . I won't judge you if you buy a Prius or took a public bus. I'd wish you well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 tt owner says "but truthfully...."