997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Techart GT Street VS 1100hp Hennessey Twin Turbo Dodge Viper SRT10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
That is a nice car Scott, what is the HP/Weight ration on that car? RS america?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
What video were you watching? Lag on a tt srt10? Please tell me exactly where in the video he stops lifting to shift and starts powershifting?

You must not know what lag looks like when you see it, maybe it was tuned that way for optimal traction, but it was obviously there. Doesnt look too difficult to see in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You must not know what lag looks like when you see it, maybe it was tuned that way for optimal traction, but it was obviously there. Doesnt look too difficult to see in my opinion.
Right, just like you easily spotted in that video the difference in the SRT10 driver lifting vs. power shifting.

I know what turbo lag feels and looks like. The notion of Nenni tuning that SRT10 to increase lag for 'optimal traction' is ridiculous....

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm not going to waste time going back and forth over something petty, sounded like lag to me and I have yet to drive or hear about a turbo car that has NO lag at all.

Call it what you want. You can have it, you win pointless arguement #1.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by art4iza
That is a nice car Scott, what is the HP/Weight ration on that car? RS america?
Thanks for the compliments! Car is a lot of fun. She's an '72 early car with a 3.6 out of a 964, actually has more HP than a RS America due to the exhaust (No cats and has SSI's and early style Dansk Sport exhaust = less restrictive than the RSA) I haven't had it dynoed but my guess is that it's putting out about 270-280 at the crank. Only weighs about 2300lbs. Power to weight ratio I'm figuring is in the realm of 8.3lb/hp. Quite fast due in part to gearing but mostly because of how light she is.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 AM
j.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm not going to waste time going back and forth over something petty, sounded like lag to me and I have yet to drive or hear about a turbo car that has NO lag at all.

Call it what you want. You can have it, you win pointless arguement #1.
thanks for being the bigger man

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Scott,
Do you go up to valley circle drive on Sundays (4th Sundays)? Maybe I will see you there one day.
Art

Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't think the issue is lag - although I agree with heavy chevy that in between shifts there is a drop in boost, then BANG .... the Viper explodes. Anyway, IMHO the issue is traction. The Viper, at 95% with a fairly open track would simply decimate the Porsche. The problem is that there really aren't any places to drive a car like the Hennesy Viper. WTF are you going to use 1100hp ? If it was a Veyron, the power would be extraordinary, BUT controllable balanced AWD. The Viper at, we can only guess 100%, was all over the road - candidly it was simply out of its element. You may think I'm nuts, but I think a box stock 08 Viper would have performed better on that specific track against our beloved 997TT's (and no I'm not talking about the spinout). The Hennesy Viper appears to be simply a poor mans Veyron (albeit a $250K "toy"), but it sure would be nice to flog the **** out of it on a mile long stretch (or maybe a Daytona type track). If the road were longer than on the video, you could see the Viper simply spanking the TT - it goes on boost and simple eats, freakin eats, the tarmac. It is scary fast.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with the guy from Brookville. Traction is the key in high HP cars. Now if we take these cars to the track,ie: Willow springs, the Porsche will beat the Viper all over the place.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Just a few points to make:

1. Hennessey was told that this was to be a straight line event. Therefore, he brought the car on drag radials. He shows up, they tell him it's an event with turns and no longer a straight line event. Obviously the Viper had to take the turns at the pace of a yugo.

2. They tested the car in that manner during the day when there was heat in the pavement and it hooked. Obviously at night, the pavement cooled and no longer hooked.

3. Had they known it was a street tire event, they would have brought the car on street tires and tuned for street tires.

4. That Viper would OBLITERATE the competition had they not been on drag radials and we all know it would walk anything there HARD.

5. art4iza - don't be so sure...did you follow the One Lap? The Viper was beating the P-car by 10-20 seconds/2 laps consistently. Don't underestimate the snake...

Peter

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
that video is horrible, I don't see what it proves.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by houstonT

5. art4iza - don't be so sure...did you follow the One Lap? The Viper was beating the P-car by 10-20 seconds/2 laps consistently. Don't underestimate the snake...

Peter

That's an ACR, different story. And a similar Porsche has beat these same 1000 hp Vipers in recent years with only 450 whp.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
Awesome video. How much power is the Porsche producing?

Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
ANUBIS is infamous around these parts
Wow. Nice Vid.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 PM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
as a former drag racer i've owned, and had plenty of rides in, cars with big hp -- mustangs, porsches, vettes, vipers, whatever. as some have pointed out, the issue here with that viper is traction, not lag. the p car hooks and runs, and squirts ahead, it's well balanced. the viper is spinning it's tires, and you can see the few times that it does hook for a millisecond that it's crazy fast. i bet when the viper leaves the road it's probably blowing off it's tires at 130mph and the driver just couldn't get it back .

from a flying start of any kind from, say 120mph or more, that viper will pack the p car's lunch, and just about anything else you can think of.

but it's a perfect example of how futile trying to put that much power down really is. i just don't get it (anymore). the p car is much more interesting because you can actually use it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Techart GT Street VS 1100hp Hennessey Twin Turbo Dodge Viper SRT10