997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Discussion Time: Porsche's Introduction of the Dual Clutch Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned
<Maciej> is infamous around these parts
Discussion Time: Porsche's Introduction of the Dual Clutch Transmission

As technology is increasing and automotive manufacturers are taking a liking to dual clutch transmissions we've all heard that Porsche will soon be introducing their version into the Carrera line up, and soon there after will introduce the transmission to the 911 Turbo.

Since this forum has been the main discussion spot (aside from Rennlist) about Porsche performance and modifications, what are everyones opinions about the new transmission that will most likely be making its debut next year?

I thought we can keep this on track and have a good discussion about the possibilities of these transmissions, as well as the advantages and disadvantages.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Late 2008 production for 09 models maybe. I am sure if and when the pdk hits the Tturbo or any other P car, it will only make it that much quicker.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Almo
Late 2008 production for 09 models maybe. I am sure if and when the pdk hits the Tturbo or any other P car, it will only make it that much quicker.
I agree that it'll make it substantially quicker.

Unfortunately I've never had the chance to drive a DSG car. How does it differ to Ferrari's F1/Lambo's E-Gear/BMW's SMG?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
I love mine and only driven a couple others and comparing it to an E55AMG and it felt like my Audi is a bit quicker but might just be my mind playing tricks. Unfortunately, I have never driven a tip unless the e gear is similar but I would think the dsg will be very beneficial for the Porsches.

What's more interesting will be the direct injection (di) the Ps are to get and what gains (spec/performance) will be offered in future models. Wondering if the regular Carrera might be able to be bumped to 375 or so with di or at least pushed a little more than what the 4Ss are now seeing how unofficial numbers are being tossed out about the 2009 S.

Edit... seen this one yet?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...smission_spied

By the way, if numbers from di do for the 911s like the Cayenne then the 911 with an additional 3.6 will surely be able to be pushed quite a bit more. Maybe even a bit more than in the above link.

Last edited by Almo; 05-11-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned
I think the direct injection will be a great addition and help significantly on the performance end once it is perfected.

I can't wait to see what Porsche has ready as far as the next generation goes, so far however it looks like all of the things we're hearing will be great.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Another example and it has to be the di...

Check out this link, dated a bit.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche...s-ar27685.html

Although the design is changed, under the hood you will see the same engines as in the current model. The 2009 Carrera will be powered by a six-cylinder unit displacing 3.6 liters and developing 325 hp at 6,800 rpm. Maximum torque of 273 lbs-ft is available from as low as 4,250 rpm. The engine will help the 911 Carrera to sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds.

Also the 3.8 liter Flat-6 engine will be available. It will deliver 355 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and a maximum torque is 295 pound-feet at 4,600 rpm. This will help the Carrera to sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and have a top speed of 179 mph. (Above two paragraphs quoted from the topspeed link above)

Now compare the topspeed link to my above link posted... them speaking of the 3.6 in the S now producing 385. Don't see why not when one looks at the current numbers with the 997 GT3 and it's 3.6. If the 3.8 in NA form finds itself into a 3000 pound Carrera of some sort then it is going to get very interesting what the different models are getting ready to produce. Looking at the 3.8 and adding a simple 15% for di equated off the current 3.6 output and the 3.8 numbers should be able to be pushed (fairly easy) to 460 to 475 in NA form.

Last edited by Almo; 05-11-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:14 PM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
I ordered my Turbo Cab as a 6 speed & would do the same again even when PDK is available. Love the F1 in my F430 but it just isnt as much fun as a stick.

So PDK will be a .1,.2 second advantage over stick you'll never feel it so IMO it's not worth giving up the feel of shifting a stick. Plus you go from skillful shifts in a 6-speed to anyone can do it PDK. If it's about performance you can get a lot more performance from certain mods & not have to give up the feel of a stick. But I could understand why people will go that way, just not for me. PDK will be helpful for the girls to drive & easier to justify to the wives though Just kidding.

Last edited by RTEAMSTRADALE; 05-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RTEAMSTRADALE
I ordered my Turbo Cab as a 6 speed & would do the same again even when PDK is available. Lover the F1 in my F430 but it just isnt as much fun as a stick.

So it will be a .1,.2 second advantage. You'll never feel it so IMO it's not worth giving up the feel of shifting a stick. But I could understand why people will go that way, just not for me.
In my situation as much as I'd love to have a six speed I wouldn't be able to due to the injuries from my motorcycle accident.