997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

to pccb or not to...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Aren't stopping distances longer with the ceramics unless they're fully warmed up, something that can't happen during normal road driving?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
My previous 997S with Reds.
Current 997TT with ceramic. worth the extra 8500. no doubt...

Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 AM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Definitely PCCB's

I really think that there should be no question about this option.
Think about it.

You are buying a high performance car that accelerates 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. You might be going in excess of 170mph at some point in time. You will be accelerating with g-forces around turns that can be dangerous. With 480 hp? spending an additional 8500 on a 997tt that is already 50,000 more than a 997?

dude, if you are going to spend the additional 50,000 on this SUPERCAR, it only makes sense to get PCCB's. Even more important than accelerating is being able to bring that baby to a quick stop!

I had both, and I will never go back to anything less than PCCB's on a performance car. (definitely does not make sense on my Lexus LX450 or my Jeep)

Like I said, if you are going to spend 125,000 (more commonly with options and a possible Cab, 140k+) spend the extra 8500.

Now, if you have already opted out for the PCCB's on your order or you are already driving a TT with REDS, I truly believe that your first upgrade should be Ceramics of some brand. Again, it only makes sense.

Life is so sweet...
So fortunate to be Porsche owners!!!
Enjoy!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 AM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
I would get them because of the low dusting....I clean the brakes on my S4 twice as often as I clean my car. Gets old!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997ttt
I really think that there should be no question about this option.
Think about it.
Before you go further, consider this...The first generation PCCBs were problematic...cracking, chipping, pitting. For $8K, most people were dumping the gen I brakes for steel rotors, especially at the track.

Second generation PCCBs have been problem free...but for many routine track rats, aftermarket may still be key.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Interesting all this talking up of the ceramics responses; however, in the wet on a cold day I braked once in friend’s car (ceramics equipped) from 120mph, nothing happened for the first 2 seconds! For the street I believe the 1st application is the most important one. What good is a superior brake once hot if it performs worse than a steel brake in an emergency?<O</O

Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Terminator
Interesting all this talking up of the ceramics responses; however, in the wet on a cold day I braked once in friend’s car (ceramics equipped) from 120mph, nothing happened for the first 2 seconds! For the street I believe the 1st application is the most important one. What good is a superior brake once hot if it performs worse than a steel brake in an emergency?<O</O
When driving in the rain w/ PCCB all you need to do is occasionally tap the brakes and they respond tremendously when you need them. I'll agree the 1st time can be scary. The braking is not reduced, you just need to get on the pedal harder, at least that's what I've found.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
I agree with 997ttt. When I spec'ed out my '08TT I was already up to 145k without the PCCBs. Then I spent days agonizing over whether to get them or not. After putting it into perspective, I finally wised up. It was obvious at that point that I was way beyond pinching pennies! So for another 6%, I got a world class braking system to go with the world class performance. I figure you have to work both sides of the performance equation.

I say get them and don't look back.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 PM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
I think at time of order it makes a lot of sense to go pccb. I recently bought a used 07 997TT with reds and the cost to upgrade to pccb now is around 16k!!! My question is if you have reds today would you do brembos instead for $7.5k? and does anyone have any opinion on brembos vs pccb?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Doesn't anyone care about performance? The PCCBs should make your car accelerate fatster and handle better since the rotors are 1/2 the weight of the regular brakes.

Let me explain this a little further. PCCBs weigh about 1/2 as much as regular brakes. I believe regular 997 rotors weigh 24 pounds, hence you are saving 12 pounds in each corner. 48 pounds of rotational weight is equal to 480 pounds of static weight which is equivalent to about 48hp. I would bet that in a straight line race starting from 0 that a stock 997TT with PCCBs would start to walk away from a stock 997TT without PCCBs.

Last edited by SleeperX; 05-18-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Totally Sleeper. It seems as though people often overlook this advantage. Some people try to save a few pounds of unsprung weight with lighter rims... pccbs save almost 50lbs.

Originally Posted by SleeperX
Doesn't anyone care about performance? The PCCBs should make your car accelerate fatster and handle better since the rotors are 1/2 the weight of the regular brakes.

Let me explain this a little further. PCCBs weigh about 1/2 as much as regular brakes. I believe regular 997 rotors weigh 24 pounds, hence you are saving 12 pounds in each corner. 48 pounds of rotational weight is equal to 480 pounds of static weight which is equivalent to about 48hp. I would bet that in a straight line race starting from 0 that a stock 997TT with PCCBs would start to walk away from a stock 997TT without PCCBs.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Totally Sleeper. It seems as though people often overlook this advantage. Some people try to save a few pounds of unsprung weight with lighter rims... pccbs save almost 50lbs.
But are you going to notice this on a car that's pushing 3500 lbs?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
But are you going to notice this on a car that's pushing 3500 lbs?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
If you don't think weight matters race a GT2 to 170mph.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
The first generation PCCBs were problematic...cracking, chipping, pitting. For $8K, most people were dumping the gen I brakes for steel rotors, especially at the track.
What year TT's have the first gen PCCB's??

Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
2001-2004

2005 porsche switched to gen 2s.

Originally Posted by HRTC
What year TT's have the first gen PCCB's??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to pccb or not to...