997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

to pccb or not to...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Mycab is infamous around these parts
to pccb or not to...

...I did not chose the pccb option,should I have?
I will not be tracking my car but will be doing a lot of driving on country roads in Europe this summer.
Do the steel brakes rust easily,and how much does that detract from the appearance of the car.
I m sure this has been discussed many times,but I just wanted people's latest opinion on the matter.
Thanks for your understanding and advice

Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I doubt people's opinions have changed much. Are you worried about performance, appearance, or both? The steel rotors on the current 997TT are probably the best that have ever come out on a 911 turbo. Yes they will rust, but when you drive, the friction should wear the rust away. Yes they will make dust, but believe it or not, so do the ceramics (just a lot less.) In the wet, they are probably better than the ceramics.

If you are worried about performance, there are brake systems available in the aftermarket...Brembos are very very good.

When making the decision, I felt that the cost was high, but they are one of the few options that work very well, and retain value when selling or trading.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Mycab is infamous around these parts
I am thinking more of performance,and if the steel brakes are better under the rain:I will keep them,cause it has been known to rain often in France...
Thanks for the advice

Old 05-17-2008, 02:46 PM
peter salvatore is infamous around these parts
If you have the money go for it. They are fantastic. You will not regret it and will want them on every vehicle you own in the future, The brake dust is negligable and rust is non- existent giving the car a much cleaner look not to mention better braking performance.
Regards,
Peter

Old 05-17-2008, 03:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
From rennteam.com

I remember folks quoting WR regarding big reds. Saying that if they are good enough for Walter Rohrl they're good enough for them. But have a look at his comment in May's GT PORSCHE:

Chris Harris: "What are your thoughts on PCCB"?

WR: "First I thought it was too expensive then I had it first on a 996 GT3 which I used for one year and did 30,000km. Just before I let the car go, I took it for a service and they said the brakes were like new. But then I go very gently with the brakes and since then I always have PCCB. The car rides much better & you can feel the weight not being there"

I've tried to explain the same thing here a few times. PCCB's are an expensive option but they cost less to maintain over time then Reds do. Porsche recommends changing steel rotors w/ every pad change. Some guys (depending on how much of the pad they've used) wait for every other pad change. My Porsche dealer wont cut rotors. But w/ PCCB's you could go a loooooong time without needing to change rotor's (as long as you dont bust one from doing the wrong thing that is). I've seen info. from sources that say way in excess of 100,000 miles. As high as 185,000 miles before needing to change the rotors. Of course that all depends on the type of driving you do. Tracking the car all the time would deminish that quite a bit. Even if you need a dozen or so steel rotor changes & no PCCB's rotors I doubt it ever completely even's out $ wise, you're not going to re-coupe the $9k cost for PCCB's by not needing to change them but still worth considering imo.

But I just felt that was interesting that Walter Rohrl always gets PCCB's now. Guess the Red's arent 'good enough' for Walter any longer.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
The only thing I miss from my 996TT is my ceramic brakes. Get them!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Upgrading tp ceramics will cost more than its worth and my feeling is that if you did not get them on your car right out of the gate ---let it go . The steel brakes are amazing too .

I have had both and prefer the ceramic but I bought a Turbo off the showroom floor and I was lucky at the time to get one .It did not have ceramics .

Old 05-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if you are not going to track the car...the only advantages are less dust and appearance...don't think that is worth the price of admission...on the other hand...they are a lot cheaper to order new with the car than they are to put on later...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-17-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:59 PM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
My first 4 Porsches did NOT have ceramics. It was until I bought my 05 996tts which came standard with ceramics. Till then my next 2 997tt have had ceramics and I LOVE them. Not only do they feel better, but IMo they look amazing!! I love the ceramics.

DO IT!!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
SG
SG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura aboutSG has a spectacular aura about
I won't ever buy another P without them.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Iron rotors will show rust hours after getting wet.

If you have the car w/steel just drive and enjoy the car!

If you have an order that can be changed, I would

Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 PM
thuggy has a spectacular aura aboutthuggy has a spectacular aura about
I have have the big reds on my TT and they are incredible brakes... however it I had to do it over again I would spec PCCBs.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
On my third Porsche with ceramics. I bought a 997S Launch car off the floor and it came standard with ceramics. Didn't really know much about them at the time. Now, I would not order a P-car without them. On my secong 997 Turbo and custom ordered both with them. Only minus is they can be a little tricky when wet.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:37 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
If I had to do it again, I would definitely get them.

In my experience with just about any car I've had, I've never regretted getting an option, only not getting one.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
Have them, love them, and highly recommend them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to pccb or not to...