997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Lowering springs, adequate amount but not excessively low...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Off Topic:
Your car looks great!! I even like the decal!
Have you already posted pictures of the whole car? If not please do!

Originally Posted by dubaudi
Here's a good pic to show you the new ride height with H&R's. The ride is great, slightly stiffer than stock, but maintains a lot of the good characteristics of the stock setup while adding a nice sporty look and feel.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
I recently made the mistake of driving a GT2 and now think even more that the Turbo's suspension is too soft & sloppy for me.
LOL, def a mistake... drove my first 997GT2 today, great car.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM
dubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cannga
Off Topic:
Your car looks great!! I even like the decal!
Have you already posted pictures of the whole car? If not please do!
Thanks Can. The car actually belongs to a friend of mine. Here's one pic I could find of the whole car. There will be a lot more soon, just need some time to sort and edit some of them.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Can. The car actually belongs to a friend of mine. Here's one pic I could find of the whole car. There will be a lot more soon, just need some time to sort and edit some of them.

That car is absolutely gorgeous, I adore the GT silver over all black wheels. Your friend has a very tastefully modified turbo and props for him for having a very sportive theme.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
dubaudi, what wing is tha? Misha?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
dubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by atomic80
dubaudi, what wing is tha? Misha?
Thanks for the compliments, I'll forward them to the owner.

As for the wing, PM on the way, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Ok, springs and sways installed. Will go put some miles on it now and report back my findings. Tomorrow I will post pics and alignment settings along with the review.

The drive home already proves it was money well spent. The car responds to steering inputs quicker and taking bends at speed require less correction. Stay tuned....

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gmoney
Ok, springs and sways installed. Will go put some miles on it now and report back my findings. Tomorrow I will post pics and alignment settings along with the review.

The drive home already proves it was money well spent. The car responds to steering inputs quicker and taking bends at speed require less correction. Stay tuned....
Excellent. Mine goes in for springs on Monday. Will be interested in your alignment settings.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Gentleman

Thanks for your compliments and comments.

I wanted to address a few common questions and shed some light on some topics.

Our WC Sport lowering springs and sway bars are fully compatible with the standard PASM damper. The spring itself has a stepless pitch design and a truly progressive rate offering you the comfort on the road during day to day use. When pushed into a corner as the spring compresses the rate goes up offering you the handling you desire.
Matched with the sway bars this is a very nice compromise for a street car that may see an occasional track day from time to time.
We have spent a considerable time working with Eibach on a solution that would allow the spring to work in standard mode and yet have enough rate to improve sport mode without overpowering the damper.

Add to that our GMG GT dog bone kit, GMG toe steer kit and GMG thrust arm bushing kit you have a car that is signifigently more responsive than stock with out transmitting road harshness into the cabin.
It can easily deliver a lap time that is quicker than a damptronic equipped vehicle.

As an FYI- H&R lowering springs have a softer rate than stock on the 997TT. Thus the reason why many of you are experiancing the "harsh" ride.

The PSS damptronic damper set has a linear spring installed onit and has a single rate, the ride quality or comfort is controlled by the damper when it is on soft of sport mode.

Ultimately it all depends on what you are truly after. Our WC spring set is certainly not the end all be all. It is however an excellent option for those of you who drive your car on the street and want the look, performance and handling without going over board with a coil over kit.

If you wish to go lower than 20mm than a coil over kit is in order for you and the damptronic is great way to go. If you are tracking the car seriously than I would recommend a Moton kit, but you need to re code the car and eliminate PASM.

If you have any further questions about our suspension components or suspensions in general please do not hesitate to contact me directly,

I hope that sheds some light on the topic.

As always thanks for the feedback and your continued support throughout the years.............

Here are few pictures of some cars with the lowering kit installed:

Our silver WC-Turbo has 20" Champions and then is later shown with 19" Dymags for refernce.

And last but not least............. The Family

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 06-05-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I put a few more miles on the car last night, pretty much driving the same roads I do on my short weekend drives I am familiar with so I can draw some comparisons.

Alignment settings shown below, rear sway full hard, front full soft.

stock vs. GMG - PASM off
Floatiness is reduced considerably as is body roll. The car still rides comfortable, no harshness, but clearly more lively than before. While suspension travel is reduced with the new springs its still plenty of travel to absorb poor road surfaces, small bumps etc.

This is exactly how I wanted the Turbo to feel right out of the box and was the biggest let down for me upon purchase. Car is very responsive to steering input even in this setting which alone creates a much better feel when driving this car.

stock vs. GMG - PASM on
Not such a dramatic difference as it was with the factory setup where I felt the stock shocks were working very hard to handle the soft factory springs creating harshness and noise over everything but the smoothest of roads.

The GMG springs feel much better matched. Small bumps and poor road surfaces are handled much better with the GMG springs even in this setting. While the stock setup tended to skip around a bit now shes a bit more compliant on such roads.

Misc.
I feel alot more confident driving the car with this setup, the connection between myself and the car has been shortened. Its no GT3 but the fun factor has been increased considerably and I can easily recommend this for the daily driver as well.

Its a small 20mm drop and as the pics show easy to live with if your worried about speedbumps or driveways.

Pics

Last edited by gmoney; 06-05-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Excellent. Thanks for the follow up.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
Excellent write up on the goals of various suspension options. Can you tell describe the goals of the next step up that you describe:

Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Add to that our GMG GT dog bone kit, GMG toe steer kit and GMG thrust arm bushing kit you have a car that is signifigently more responsive than stock with out transmitting road harshness into the cabin.
It can easily deliver a lap time that is quicker than a damptronic equipped vehicle.
Or, put another way, why would I not consider doing this with the sways and springs right away?

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I've gotten my GMG springs, sways, dog bones, thrust arm bushings and toe steer kit. James and Fabryce have been very helpful. I've got an appointment at FarnbarcherLoles week after next for install and realignment to GT3 specs. Will report back but based on the feedback here and in Excellence it should be a great set of mods. Heading to Calabogie for two days right after picking up the car. Psyched!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
I have a set of new in box techart springs i never put on my car>>>save from new...PM me if interested

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Hello 6speedonline 997 Turbo owners,

Today I am seeking your advice on lowering springs, a buddy of mine has a 2008 911 Turbo and has just installed some 19" Antera Wheels and it looks normal as the height of the car instock form is killing its killer stance from the wider rear wheels. The problem is that the car in stock form usually scrapes the front plastic front valance when exiting and entering his garage and I think that issue can be resolved by parking to the far right where their slope is better in his garage; however with the new springs will that be a drawback for speed bumps and the garage?

Which suspension or let say springs are great, are reasonably priced and dramatically improves the cars image. We've been eying on the Techart White springs and the H&R's, since the Techarts are more expensive are they worth the difference and which one's have the lowest drop. The car is a daily driver most of the time, sticking to the slightest drop is better as it clears bumps and other limitations a person has to face in a day to day basis.

Thank you in advance,

Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 PM
MAR997TT is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the compliments, I'll forward them to the owner.

As for the wing, PM on the way, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.
+1 what wing is that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs, adequate amount but not excessively low...any suggestions?