997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

3M clear plastic film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Mycab is infamous around these parts
3M clear plastic film

Hi,is anyone familiar with this transparent film(or any other for that matter)to protect finish?Is it easy to apply?and replace?
I vaguely remember a post on a similar subject,but could not locate it
Thanks for your understanding and advice

Old 05-19-2008, 09:30 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Go with VentureShield instead. It's a much better product optically and there's no yellowing in the film either. 3M liked the film so much that they bought out the product. I have this material on my entire hood and front fenders and couldn't be happier.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Howdy atomic80.
I will be picking up my car in Germany(less than a month)so I hope they carry Ventureshield there.Sould I buy Venture here and bring to Germany?
Any shield should probably be professionally installed,no?
Or,hopefully the Porsche factory should be able to offer advice,regarding the finish protection.
Isn't finish protection something to be taken care of ASAP?
Thanks for the advice.
Ps:Maybe next year I can join some of you for a west coast trip

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Hmmm....have you asked Porsche if they'd be able to provide VentureShield coverage? It'd be best to have it installed PRIOR to having you arrive since it takes some time to do it correctly. If not, then perhaps bring some with you and take a day or two to sightsee before picking up your car. You're going to have FUN over there! I went to the Porsche factory twice and enjoyed it each time.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
I agree with Atomic. I highly recommend either Ventureshield or Llumar. The "traditional" 3M clear bra does not look very good and has a fair amount of orange peel appearance.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Jfishburn is infamous around these parts
I have the 3m clear bra and wish every day that I did not apply it. Call me picky but I can't stand looking at it.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Atomic 80 thanks alot for the Ventureshield recommendation,I see they have a b unch of certified installers in Germany:so I'll try to contact some.How long does installation last,and how soon can you drive once done?
Cheers

Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
memo is infamous around these parts
I also got the Ventureshield, full hood and full fenders, done by Lil Raja in Northern VA. Very happy with it.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM
You usually can't wash your car for a few days after installation but other than that you're free to drive it right afterwards. They usually last for years to come. 3M had a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure about VS.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Tradical is infamous around these parts
I am very happy with Ventureshield. The installation or application of the material is not easy. You should use an experienced expert.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
+1 on the ventureshield, but the 3m vs. Ventureshield debate may be moot as 3m recently acquired ventureshield.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
I've had both:

Ventureshield Pros: easier to apply (but still needs a professional install), better overall appearance

3M clear bra: not as aesthetically pleasing, but definitely more resistant to tearing or scratching from gravel, etc...

If your car is mostly a street car, I would recommend Ventureshield. If your car see medium to heavy track time, I would definitely recommend the original 3M product.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by atomic80
Go with VentureShield instead. It's a much better product optically and there's no yellowing in the film either. 3M liked the film so much that they bought out the product. I have this material on my entire hood and front fenders and couldn't be happier.
I hate to be disagreeable, but that is not true. First of all, the reason 3M bought out Venture tape was b/c of a metallic tape which they manufactured that 3M wanted to add to their line, not b/c of the PPF. Second, the top-coated Venture is not much better than the 3M. That's just my opinion, but I have been installing PPF for over 8 years and have the Venture, 3M and XPEL film on my personal car as a guinea pig; and not one person can tell the difference between them.

Also, the one fact most people fail to disclose/understand is that 3M actually has a clear-coat and can be compounded/polished to remove any subsequent damage after installation. Venture, as well as Avery, is only top-coated and your ability to remove any damage is nearly zilch. Also, they require much more maintenance than the 3M (which should be a major consideration for those of us who live in regions with high pollution - like the northeast). And finally, there is no film in the world that can be guaranteed not to yellow for a lifetime. That's a ridiculous claim which reminds me of the Ginsu knives warranty. The biggest advantage is that Venture comes in rolls 10" wider than 3M allowing the installer to cover larger panels in one piece.

I hope I didn't come across as attacking you, but as a professional who does this for a living I really get tired of people making blanket statements that one brand of film is superior to others, period. There is no one best film; it is all a compromise which the car owner should consider before making an educated decision.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dtlng. Dynamics
I hate to be disagreeable, but that is not true. First of all, the reason 3M bought out Venture tape was b/c of a metallic tape which they manufactured that 3M wanted to add to their line, not b/c of the PPF. Second, the top-coated Venture is not much better than the 3M. That's just my opinion, but I have been installing PPF for over 8 years and have the Venture, 3M and XPEL film on my personal car as a guinea pig; and not one person can tell the difference between them.

Also, the one fact most people fail to disclose/understand is that 3M actually has a clear-coat and can be compounded/polished to remove any subsequent damage after installation. Venture, as well as Avery, is only top-coated and your ability to remove any damage is nearly zilch. Also, they require much more maintenance than the 3M (which should be a major consideration for those of us who live in regions with high pollution - like the northeast). And finally, there is no film in the world that can be guaranteed not to yellow for a lifetime. That's a ridiculous claim which reminds me of the Ginsu knives warranty. The biggest advantage is that Venture comes in rolls 10" wider than 3M allowing the installer to cover larger panels in one piece.

I hope I didn't come across as attacking you, but as a professional who does this for a living I really get tired of people making blanket statements that one brand of film is superior to others, period. There is no one best film; it is all a compromise which the car owner should consider before making an educated decision.
Matt - You installed the 3M product on my car. Your stament that "the top-coated Venture is not much better than the 3M" is very disappointing. I wanted the Venture material on my hood due to its size and ability to cover the entire hood. You told me it was a defective product and you would not use it. Now you are saying it is a slightly better product, "not much better", but, nevertheless better. I do see a slight orange peel with the 3M on my hood, but what is really offensive is the line across the hood about 10 inches below the windshield. When the light is reflecting off the hood in a certain way, it looks like the hood is two different shades.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
First off I think to many people worry way to much about which film instead of who is installing it. If your installer sucks it doesn't matter which film you use - it will look like crap. I was at my dealership a few weeks ago and saw a 911 with film and the job was so bad it was laughable.

I think many (certainly those in the northeast) would agree that Detailing Dynamics is as good as anyone in the business. I had them do my car and had very lenghty conversations with Matt about which film to use. He would have gladly used either one (would probably prefer to install VS as it's much easier to do) but after speaking with them I was convinced that 3M was the best choice for me. The orange peel is minimal and noticed only at certain angles. I've been at many car meets and have seen people bending and tilting their head looking at my car trying to see the film. It's been on my car a year and has not changed colors at all. White may be a problem but I think it will be a probem with any film.

I've also heard many people say that VS will last much longer - it's only been around a couple of years, right? How would you know?

To the OP - find a great installer and go with the film that makes you comfortable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3M clear plastic film