997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Toyo Proxes 888 vs Michelin Pilot CUP !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Thanks man...I will check Nittos out...do they those 19s sizes ???
I do believe they have 19's, yes... I want to try them but they dont make 335 rear

Originally Posted by raiyu
I was wondering for people who do autox and track, do either the cups or r888 heat up fast enough to give better performance than street tires during autox?

Im thinking of getting a more racing slick tire for the summer so that I can use them at the track and autox events, but still be fairly safe since it would be my daily driver for the summer as well. Obviously I'd avoid monsoons but I would want to be safe in normal rain.
R888's heat up FAST man, I can't even spin them on the street really unless temps are real cold, and even then they heat up within minutes of driving enough to give you good grip, could aso be the width of the tires too.

I auto x'd at Tobay March 30th and it was in the 30's, I pulled the 2nd best time of the day on those tires and with my car being setup for DE's not auto x, my first time autocrossing either and Demitrios who co drove my car with me who races his 914 beat me by 4 10th's of a second, the car didn't slip or slide and was fantastic on the R888's!

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Martin I'm doing the airshow at jones beach tomorrow...in the truck.
I'll be heading to pocono on July 4 with metrony, WGI again with pda July 14-15, then Thunderoad(nj) in the fall and Montcello in August with pda.
C
Chris awesome man, i'll see you at WGI on the 4th, im going with my buddy Demitrios from Habberstad BMW!!! We are also going to the Concours tomorrow at Old Westbury Gardens, he just called me and told me it was tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
What website can I get a set of R888's from? Tirerack doesnt carry them right?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Have looked at Nittos...there are no right sizes in 19s...

Pirelli Corsa system, looks to be more road use then for track...but I am not too sure about that...

Anyone esle used them and how to do they compare to Toyos ???

Now Toyos seem to be the best choice...

Last edited by GT RUS; 05-25-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:41 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Gt Rus, have you run any R compound tires at the track before? If not I would strongly suggest learning on street tires first as they are much more forgiving and will let you know when they are being pushed too hard. R compounds have a much higher performance envelope and will give good traction right up until the point of loss with very little (no) warning, moreso for slicks. Aside from that R compounds are very expensive will quickly wear out, another good reason to learn on street tires.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Whats a good vendor to get the R888s from?

I was also wondering with the TPMS units inside the wheels, do I need to goto a particular shop to get them mounted and balanced, or is it pretty straight forward? I have one tire shop that I trust, but this is my first time dealing with TPMS and I dont know what their experience is.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thanks for you suggestions...I never runned R compound on track before !!!

I might do it just like you said...since my stock wheel have tyres already...will see...

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Gt Rus, have you run any R compound tires at the track before? If not I would strongly suggest learning on street tires first as they are much more forgiving and will let you know when they are being pushed too hard. R compounds have a much higher performance envelope and will give good traction right up until the point of loss with very little (no) warning, moreso for slicks. Aside from that R compounds are very expensive will quickly wear out, another good reason to learn on street tires.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by raiyu
Whats a good vendor to get the R888s from?

I was also wondering with the TPMS units inside the wheels, do I need to goto a particular shop to get them mounted and balanced, or is it pretty straight forward? I have one tire shop that I trust, but this is my first time dealing with TPMS and I dont know what their experience is.
Yes..I am intersted in this as well...

Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
I have pilot cups on my supercharged SLK55 and honestly wouldn't recommend them unless you plan on running 19's, as they are the only R-compound tire available in 19's. They don't hook up worth a damn when cold and take forever to warm up. Even when they are warmed up, my car has poor traction at WOT in 1st and sometimes even 2nd (~550hp)! They are, however, very good in wet conditions, which is a major plus if you live where it rains a lot (like Miami lol). I don't think there is any other R-compound tire that even comes close to Pilot Cup's traction in wet conditions, even standing water. I just wish more R-compound tires came in 19's...

Last edited by Tuskir; 05-26-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Go With The R888 I Have These On My Evo/track Car And There Great.....but I Like Nitto Nt01.....BUT NT01'S REALLY DONT HAVE ENOUGH SELECTION IN SIZE.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I have the Michelin now and I'm looking to get new tires. What's the price of the Nitto vs. the Cup? And what's a good vendor to buy them?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
RUS,

As I understand you are mainly looking for acceleration/traction advantages and not road racing. If so, find the lightest weight tires. The Toyos are very heavy and the lightest tire you will find in 19" will be a Hoosier R6, next the Michelin Cups.

If you are looking to road race, I would recommend against learning the sport in the 997tt, especially one that has been bumped to >>700hp.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks for you reccomendations...I want the tyres that I can go on the street with + Hoislers dont have correct sizes...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I have been driving a bit on the street with my R888's, the grip is fantastic and no joke you wouldn't be able to tell you are on R comps, it's like they don't even have to heat up, I have no issues really with traction!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Just put a few miles on the R888s. Sticky out of the box. Got a little greasy after ~20-30 minutes of lapping at Pacific Raceways. Part of the problem was me overdriving them a bit (I also boiled my brake fluid )

Autocrossed with them on Saturday. Surprisingly good (it was a pretty hot day by Seattle standards though) They didn't feel nearly as sticky as a V710 or Hoosier auto-x compound but pretty good overall.

On the street - other than being more noisy than my PS2s or RE050s - very nice.

I'd recommend them for someone looking for an dual purpose r comp.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lig
Just put a few miles on the R888s. Sticky out of the box. Got a little greasy after ~20-30 minutes of lapping at Pacific Raceways. Part of the problem was me overdriving them a bit (I also boiled my brake fluid )

Autocrossed with them on Saturday. Surprisingly good (it was a pretty hot day by Seattle standards though) They didn't feel nearly as sticky as a V710 or Hoosier auto-x compound but pretty good overall.

On the street - other than being more noisy than my PS2s or RE050s - very nice.

I'd recommend them for someone looking for an dual purpose r comp.
What's the price of the R888 compared to the PS2 and Michelin Cup?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 888 vs Michelin Pilot CUP !!!