997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Toyo Proxes 888 vs Michelin Pilot CUP !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Toyo Proxes 888 vs Michelin Pilot CUP !!!

I've got stock 19s wheels that came as a part on the deal with my car...

So am planing to use them for Track and for Drag racing events...Therefore I am thinking replacing the tyres with racing slicks or whatever they called...

There 2 tyres options that I found..that have proper sizes 235/35 19 and 305/30/19...Toyos 888 and Michelins Pilot Cups !!!

Both have great reviews and good reputaions, work good on track and hook up quite well from a dig...

Pilot CUPs used by Porsche on GT2 and GT3 models..

Here is some info:

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...category=sport

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ult...lot-sport-cup/

Has anyone used those kind of tyres on thier car and what you think about them ???...I know AWE had them on thier cars...

I know Pilot CUP required some kind of cutting and some heating up or something like, I am not sure what exaclty...

Which tyres set would you choose and why ???

Which tyre will last longer and preform better on rain and sometimes can be used on a street...??? and can be used easy without any additional work done..

May be there are some other tyres manufactures that offer those sizes for our car that I dont know about...???

Thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Haven't used the toyos, but the cup sports will wear very quickly with drag racing. I had them on my 996TT...and despite AWD, I did not find them inspiring in the rain.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Thanks...for the info...

Old 05-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
I would choose michelin.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Try the PZero Corsa System, not as extreme as Sport Cups or 888s, but still very consistent on the track over temp range and time, and wear is very reasonable. They also come as OEM equipment on 997 GT3s, mine had them.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:36 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I have been using the toyo r888's this track season in 245/335 for my gt2! They out perform the pilot cup sports in EVERY CATEGORY, I no longer have traction issues either and man do they heat up fast. Tons of members on here and rennlost are using r888's and love them (tomkerr, stu997gt3) Stu is getting rid of his stock pilot cups for another set of r888's after him using them for a bit on his track wheels, do it. Another option is nitto nt01 , comparable to r888 some people like them even better!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I have been using the toyo r888's this track season in 245/335 for my gt2! They out perform the pilot cup sports in EVERY CATEGORY, I no longer have traction issues either and man do they heat up fast. Tons of members on here and rennlost are using r888's and love them (tomkerr, stu997gt3) Stu is getting rid of his stock pilot cups for another set of r888's after him using them for a bit on his track wheels, do it. Another option is nitto nt01 , comparable to r888 some people like them even better!
Hey man, when's your next track day, would ove to check out that Ruf. I'm heading to the glen on tues/wed with metropca.
Where are you finding the r888s, TR never seems to have them. Currently, I'm running the corsa R cmpds.
C

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Hey man, when's your next track day, would ove to check out that Ruf. I'm heading to the glen on tues/wed with metropca.
Where are you finding the r888s, TR never seems to have them. Currently, I'm running the corsa R cmpds.
C
Hi Chris, I was suppose to be at vir this weekend but my new wheels and parts didn't come in yet, been a few weeks I could have gone anyway but want to tweak my car again especially with the toe links , at vir in the Esses it can get a bit scary feeling at 130+ LOL !

I am doing mid Ohio with nnjr June 6-8 and have tons of other days planned, I'll pm you a list, do the same for me as I would love to head to a few local tracks with someone!

Are you free in the am tomorrow? I might take a ride down to the beach and would love to meet up . Btw lynmor ordered my r888's and all of my tires, ill find out who his tire supplier is!

Martin

Last edited by iLLM3; 05-24-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
GT RUS, go for the Toyo R888, you will love them!

I have been using the toyo r888's this track season in 245/335 for my gt2! They out perform the pilot cup sports in EVERY CATEGORY
You are making a bit too strong statement here.

I have driven countless sets of Pilot Cups and R888s to the cords and would like to know what is your difference in lap times between these tires?

And I mean similar driving on a track you have driven for years and know the lines great. I am also very interested about your friends lap times because what we have got is that Toyo's are a bit slower than Cups.

This is the same conclusion Sport Auto mag got as well as my track driving friends from various European countries with CSL's and GT2's etc. We have measured the lap times with PerformanceBox and RaceChrono (www.racechrono.com).

The Toyos though are grippy when they are cold and they have no problem when wet. They are also a lot cheaper at least in here and that's why I have driven a couple of sets of them. I also recommend them for many, they are very easy to drive. I will use them in future as well.

But still the Toyos behave more like a street tire than Pilot Cups and when pushing the car with correct pressures etc. a bit greater corner speeds are still achieved with the Pilot Cups...

As an overall sports car tire I like the Toyos a lot, except the noise. Great tire for track use too. It has a lot of great features (ease of use) so I would not stress the fact that Pilot Cups are a tiny bit faster in the correct hands...

Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kaizu

You are making a bit too strong statement here.

I have driven countless sets of Pilot Cups and R888s to the cords and would like to know what is your difference in lap times between these tires?

And I mean similar driving on a track you have driven for years and know the lines great. I am also very interested about your friends lap times because what we have got is that Toyo's are a bit slower than Cups.

This is the same conclusion Sport Auto mag got as well as my track driving friends from various European countries with CSL's and GT2's etc. We have measured the lap times with PerformanceBox and RaceChrono (www.racechrono.com).

The Toyos though are grippy when they are cold and they have no problem when wet. They are also a lot cheaper at least in here and that's why I have driven a couple of sets of them. I also recommend them for many, they are very easy to drive. I will use them in future as well.

But still the Toyos behave more like a street tire than Pilot Cups and when pushing the car with correct pressures etc. a bit greater corner speeds are still achieved with the Pilot Cups...

As an overall sports car tire I like the Toyos a lot, except the noise. Great tire for track use too. It has a lot of great features (ease of use) so I would not stress the fact that Pilot Cups are a tiny bit faster in the correct hands...
I cannot compare solid laptimes due to different setups, tweaking, climates , tracks and so on, i'm sure you can understand!

Pilot cups ports never gave me the grip my gt2 needed, heated up way too slow, just never gave me that confidence too push to the limits where the car should be... They always had some slip in them, I stil have a set sitting that I will never ever use.. What I DI like better about the cups although, is the turn in was a bit more crisp, but again camber and different tweaks can fix that.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks man...I will check Nittos out...do they those 19s sizes ???

Old 05-24-2008, 04:47 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I was wondering for people who do autox and track, do either the cups or r888 heat up fast enough to give better performance than street tires during autox?

Im thinking of getting a more racing slick tire for the summer so that I can use them at the track and autox events, but still be fairly safe since it would be my daily driver for the summer as well. Obviously I'd avoid monsoons but I would want to be safe in normal rain.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by ze_shark
Try the PZero Corsa System, not as extreme as Sport Cups or 888s, but still very consistent on the track over temp range and time, and wear is very reasonable. They also come as OEM equipment on 997 GT3s, mine had them.
I will check thanks...when I looked at the sizes before they didnt have 19s...may I wasnt looking in the right place...

Old 05-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Thanks...I will research more and make my mind up...If they heat up faster may be they will be better for Drag racing as well...

Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Hi Chris, I was suppose to be at vir this weekend but my new wheels and parts didn't come in yet, been a few weeks I could have gone anyway but want to tweak my car again especially with the toe links , at vir in the Esses it can get a bit scary feeling at 130+ LOL !

I am doing mid Ohio with nnjr June 6-8 and have tons of other days planned, I'll pm you a list, do the same for me as I would love to head to a few local tracks with someone!

Are you free in the am tomorrow? I might take a ride down to the beach and would love to meet up . Btw lynmor ordered my r888's and all of my tires, ill find out who his tire supplier is!

Martin
Martin I'm doing the airshow at jones beach tomorrow...in the truck.
I'll be heading to pocono on July 4 with metrony, WGI again with pda July 14-15, then Thunderoad(nj) in the fall and Montcello in August with pda.
C

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 888 vs Michelin Pilot CUP !!!