997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sorry guys-- I couldn't resist the hype: just ordered a GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Congratulation. What color so I can spot you on the road.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997ttt
Pardon the analogy, but it's sort of like Hugh Grant and the call girl episode. I am sure that the call girl (GTR) was sexy and performed a little better than Elizabeth Hurley, but come on.... I am sure that we all would end up going home to Elizabeth (997TT!!).
Seems like an accurate analogy. I vote Liz.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
///M Kevin: it will be Super Silver over Black

Turbodickie: Impressive deal. I have not heard of that in SF Bay Area-- and I did some homework (maybe not enough).

I think the Hugh/Liz perspective might prove accurate, but I am really looking forward to having some fun with the new tranny. Every guy has a secret fantasy of doing two clutches at once.

;-)

I can't imagine selling the Turbo, but I might sell my E60 M5 and keeping both coupes if I like the GT-R and the kids fit in back (they have outgrown the 997TT rear "seats").

-Chris

Last edited by chrisn; 05-25-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
sick car!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Congrats...and subscribing.

Me, I'm waiting for the discounted "pre-owned" GTR's to hit the market. Somebody paid $50k for my s2000 back in 2000, and I paid sticker when he sold it with roughly 4k miles.

Doing two clutches at once...that's awesome....never thought of it that way.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
I think you will love it. It will be great to actually see someone own both. Like I confessed in an earlier thread, I am likely to do the same thing and pick one up. But only because I already have a 997TT. I still think getting the GT-R instead of the 997TT is a mistake.

Good luck to you and enjoy it in good health.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Congrats. Can't wait for the write up.

I'm willing to bet that you will have an absolute blast with the GT-R... and you will point out many of the things that the press has already said (better planted than the Turbo, makes the 911 feel like an old design, GT-R a great device for going FAST).

...but to echo what others have just said above, the luster of the car will fade, and the Turbo will still be a Turbo (i.e., a "special" car).

Not taking anything away from the GT-R. But I think it will be remembered more for how it pushed the technology goalposts forward, than for being a car that people truly loved and aspired to (outside of the hardcore GT-R community).

Kind of like the NSX actually. Nowadays, its no big deal. But remember that when it hit the scene, it gave Ferrari and Porsche a fright, and supercars of today have more owed to the NSX than Honda gets credit for

Oh, and that Liz Hurley analogy is brilliant

Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
You lucky dogs that can afford both cars... congrats! I'll be looking forward to the reviews and comparos

Cheers!!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Sounds great. Enjoy it. Now move this out of the 997 turbo forum.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hesperus
Congrats. Can't wait for the write up.

I'm willing to bet that you will have an absolute blast with the GT-R... and you will point out many of the things that the press has already said (better planted than the Turbo, makes the 911 feel like an old design, GT-R a great device for going FAST).

...but to echo what others have just said above, the luster of the car will fade, and the Turbo will still be a Turbo (i.e., a "special" car).

Not taking anything away from the GT-R. But I think it will be remembered more for how it pushed the technology goalposts forward, than for being a car that people truly loved and aspired to (outside of the hardcore GT-R community).

Kind of like the NSX actually. Nowadays, its no big deal. But remember that when it hit the scene, it gave Ferrari and Porsche a fright, and supercars of today have more owed to the NSX than Honda gets credit for

Oh, and that Liz Hurley analogy is brilliant

I agree with you!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Tupe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JT3
Congrats...and subscribing.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
If you get bored with the GTR, you can upgrade to V-Spec when it comes out.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/news...e_14_05_08.cfm

V-Spec should move the GTR even further ahead of its rivals. Suzuki thinks the car should be as much as 10-seconds quicker than the standard car around the 'Ring.

Last edited by Akira; 05-26-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:36 PM
MIGZ is infamous around these parts
Congrats!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
sub.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Congrats...looking forward to the comparo as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorry guys-- I couldn't resist the hype: just ordered a GT-R