997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sorry guys-- I couldn't resist the hype: just ordered a GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Sorry guys-- I couldn't resist the hype: just ordered a GT-R

August build/Sept Delivery. Super Silver over black + Premium package.

The plan is to keep the 997TT, so I will offer detailed comparo when I get the car.

I hope I don't regret buying such an ugly car, but I think it will be fun to be one of the first to drive this historic vehicle.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:47 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Congrats and best of luck. Make sure you write a nice review / comparison!!

And this better not be a late april fools

Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 PM
turboheaven is infamous around these parts
Haha I'm sure you'll have fun with it, they seem like great cars.
How much did you get it for?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
No April Fool's-- order is in ; deposit paid. They actually make you prove you can pay for it, and also sign a contract that they send to Nissan. I think they are worried about flippers and about dealers screwing pre-order customers by bumping them for higher-paying "spot" (off the showroom) buyers.

Paying $15K over. Stupid, I know, but not too bad. I was expecting $25K over.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
turboheaven is infamous around these parts
Yeah 15k over doesn't seem as bad as what I was hearing of 25k over.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
i had a slot for 10k over, but am going for TT!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by SRatha
i had a slot for 10k over, but am going for TT!!!
What/who changed you mind? Heavychevy?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RFFG
And this better not be a late april fools

Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
pippen is infamous around these parts
The GTR is truly a beast. Congrats!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, but I'm surprise the line-up is so short...

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Congrats, but I'm surprise the line-up is so short...
As was I. I was expecting longer waits AND higher initial mark-ups. Given the uniformly superlative reviews, I don't think people are cooling on the car (although there is certainly a lot of hype to live up to).

In my market (Bay Area), my assumption is that the "I must have it now" crowd are waiting for the June "launch" cars that many dealers will be auctioning in the "spot" market to the highest bidders.

A chunk of the rest of the buyers (especially in this economy) may be unwilling to pay a premium at all. It is, after all, a Nissan, and the premium will almost certainly be a write off in 6 - 12 months (perhaps minutes).

Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
I also bought a GTR to see for myself if all the hype is BS or real. Paid UNDER retail sticker--has to be a first! It will be for sale as soon as I have some fun with it.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:51 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chrisn
What/who changed you mind? Heavychevy?
i asked around to see how much it would cost over msrp, but i guess when i saw one in real life, i liked the turbo better. if it's faster, am not gonna care

now i just need to get rid of my Range Rover

Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
My condolences.

j/k. It should be a blast. As a matter of principle, I personally would never pay more than MSRP for a car. To me, it's the same as flushing it down the toilet.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrisn
August build/Sept Delivery. Super Silver over black + Premium package.

The plan is to keep the 997TT, so I will offer detailed comparo when I get the car.

I hope I don't regret buying such an ugly car, but I think it will be fun to be one of the first to drive this historic vehicle.
Don't even apologize. Interesting to see someone owning and driving both cars. I have very little doubt that no matter how much better a drive this car might be (I really doubt this), Nissan vs Porsche? Really....

Pardon the analogy, but it's sort of like Hugh Grant and the call girl episode. I am sure that the call girl (GTR) was sexy and performed a little better than Elizabeth Hurley, but come on.... I am sure that we all would end up going home to Elizabeth (997TT!!).

So, I am sure you will end up selling the GTR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sorry guys-- I couldn't resist the hype: just ordered a GT-R