997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

M3 beats GT-R and Porsche turbo in C&D comparison test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Emor8t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
well said! if youre concerned about cup holders, and trunk space, and rear seats, Porsches, Ferraris, and Lambos are prob not the car for you. its funny when people who drive m3s say, 'well i can hold two adults in the rear' and then subsequently tell you 'i never let anyone sit in the back'
Hell, I have probably larger seats in the back than the M3 Sedan, and nobody rides in the backseat as it is.

Of course... that could be because I of how I drive too.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Let's not discount the M3 in any way. It is a great car in it's price range. I think the new E90 series doesn't feel as connected as the E46 and the E46 did not feel connected like the E36. I have had two E46's, one E36 and one E30 all M's. I should have kept the E30 although I liked the E36 for road feel and connection the most. The E46 M3 is my favorite M3 in design and the E30 a close second.

They will always use an M3 for comparison even when they shouldn't. They are trying to prove that sheer HP doesn't mean feel/connection and overall experience.

997ttt - I am glad that you can afford the 997TT but don't look down at others who are not so fortunate at that moment. They could be your boss someday or the next president. Who knows. They are not wanna-be's - they are just people living within their means and that should be respected. Your car is not superior and you shouldn't take the attitude with those who don't drive one. I am sure a Bugatti or Ferrari Enzo owner might look at your car and say "poor soul" - he couldn't afford one of these - look at him driving that.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
LS7 Thunder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Read the review, lol. The two most important categories to the writer are price and which car has the most comfortable rear seats.
No car can beat the M3 if C & D has any say in it. I remember the last gen M3 winning a "performance" comparison with the C5 Z06, because the Bimmer had a back seat, even though it lost all the categories.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
njcycleguy is infamous around these parts
As loyal M3 owner and the owner of an '08 M3 (and the previous owner of a 997C4), I can admit that when I read this article, I was shocked. How could an M3 dethrone one of the finest supercars of all time?

I picked up a new E92 M3 back in April and had my mind set on selling it right away. I have since changed my mind and decided to keep it for now. I'm happy with that the decision. The more I drive the car, the more I realize just how great of a job BMW did (except for the body design, which is still sort of growing on me).

The M3 is a fantastic car. Am I biased being that I've owned 3 of them? Maybe. But the older ones don't come close to comparing to the E92. The new car is comfortable, incredibly smooth, and in my opinion, much more of a better all-around car than my 997 was. It is ROCK-SOLID at any speed. The engine sounds a thousand times better than the tinny 6 cylinder rasp of the older E46. The car handles far beyond what any normal person is capable of doing safely on public roads. I will admit that calling it "better" than either the GT-R and 911TT is a stretch and most certainly subjective, but at the very least, it shows that from an all-around standpoint, it certainly can hang in this league of impressive automotive performance. Yes, iDrive sucks. Yes, the car could look more agressive. But I think some of you 911TT owners would be quite shocked (and impressed) given the opportunity to drive one for some time, and I'm not talking about a 10 minute test drive with a saleperson in a car that hasn't been properly broken in.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by njcycleguy
As loyal M3 owner and the owner of an '08 M3 (and the previous owner of a 997C4), I can admit that when I read this article, I was shocked. How could an M3 dethrone one of the finest supercars of all time?

I picked up a new E92 M3 back in April and had my mind set on selling it right away. I have since changed my mind and decided to keep it for now. I'm happy with that the decision. The more I drive the car, the more I realize just how great of a job BMW did (except for the body design, which is still sort of growing on me).

The M3 is a fantastic car. Am I biased being that I've owned 3 of them? Maybe. But the older ones don't come close to comparing to the E92. The new car is comfortable, incredibly smooth, and in my opinion, much more of a better all-around car than my 997 was. It is ROCK-SOLID at any speed. The engine sounds a thousand times better than the tinny 6 cylinder rasp of the older E46. The car handles far beyond what any normal person is capable of doing safely on public roads. I will admit that calling it "better" than either the GT-R and 911TT is a stretch and most certainly subjective, but at the very least, it shows that from an all-around standpoint, it certainly can hang in this league of impressive automotive performance. Yes, iDrive sucks. Yes, the car could look more agressive. But I think some of you 911TT owners would be quite shocked (and impressed) given the opportunity to drive one for some time, and I'm not talking about a 10 minute test drive with a saleperson in a car that hasn't been properly broken in.
I own a 335i sedan (and a 997tt) and have put about 7K miles on the BMW. I've also had the opportunity to drive the E92M3 (for about 30 minutes). The 335i is a great sedan and I am totally impressed with it - the M3 didn't feel subjectively all that much better and I disliked the M3's rubbery shifter and the on-center steering feel (or lack of it). IMO comparing the M3 and the 997tt is such a joke that the only way to rationalize the comparison is that C&D wanted to be controversial, both snubbing the GTR and the 997tt.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997

997ttt - I am glad that you can afford the 997TT but don't look down at others who are not so fortunate at that moment. They could be your boss someday or the next president. Who knows. They are not wanna-be's - they are just people living within their means and that should be respected. Your car is not superior and you shouldn't take the attitude with those who don't drive one. I am sure a Bugatti or Ferrari Enzo owner might look at your car and say "poor soul" - he couldn't afford one of these - look at him driving that.
+1

Amazed at the hubris demonstrated by so many on this board

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Not only that, but many people can "afford" to drive ferrari's but choose not to. It all depends on what's important to you. Just because someone is driving a less expensive car means nothing except that they prefer that automobile.

I drive an Infiniti G37S, does that mean I'm scum of the earth? If it does to you, I find that truly pathetic.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
The test is laughable. Iam glad to see that the GT-R cant always run with the 911TT in the quarter!
Who cares about rear seat space and comfort... Not even the C&D readership... If its all about rear seat space and comfort they should have put a Lexus LS600h L in the test to whip all their *sses!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
laj_c4s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997ttt
FUNNY!!!!

To all M3 owners...
When I pull up to you at a traffic light, I have no desire to race. I know that I have a car that you could only wish you owned. You chose to buy a car that was "more affordable" than a 911.
pretty interesting post.
i am curious as to what is your age, level of education and occupation?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 PM
timeattack07gt is infamous around these parts
Let's not discount the M3 in any way. It is a great car in it's price range. I think the new E90 series doesn't feel as connected as the E46 and the E46 did not feel connected like the E36. I have had two E46's, one E36 and one E30 all M's. I should have kept the E30 although I liked the E36 for road feel and connection the most. The E46 M3 is my favorite M3 in design and the E30 a close second.

They will always use an M3 for comparison even when they shouldn't. They are trying to prove that sheer HP doesn't mean feel/connection and overall experience.

100% agree. Well said in both respects.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:36 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by laj_c4s
pretty interesting post.
i am curious as to what is your age, level of education and occupation?
I was wondering the same thing. Kind of sounds like daddy bought the car, but who knows, maybe he's just a jerk?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997ttt
excuse my ignorance,
what is a 'fanboy'?
A fanboy is anyone who disagrees with your view point. A term of disrespect and derision applied to those who like the GT-R, for example.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 AM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Alpine,
Absolutely. I agree. And I have many friends with Miatas and Saturns and Pontiacs. The drivers that get me all worked up are "characters" that rationalize why they did not buy a 911 and boast about how their car has better reviews on C&D and then tail me on the freeway or rev their engine at a stop light. And you must admit, many are M3 owners or Corvette owners. I have no respect for these "characters" and I am sure you feel the same way.
On the other hand I do respect Bugatti and Ferrari's 100% for their exclusivity. No doubt. They may look down on me, but really, how much can you look down on a 911 owner. And no matter how many car lengths I know I can have on a drag race against a Bugatti or a Ferrari, I WILL NOT tail them and egg on a race... It just looks pathetic... And this is the way I feel about aggressive M3 and Corvette owners that I frequently encounter on a nice peaceful Sunday drive.
Sorry if I offended anyone...

Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
it would be nice if the flaming and derogatory posts that have followed the GTR here could be toned down just a smidge. I know I myself have been caught in this wave of sensationalism before but it really detracts from the community here. It's just a downer. We all should be grateful to drive what we have and be happy that others are auto enthusiasts as well, regardless of make. If we all drove the same thing it would be less interesting! Cheers everyone!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
The only thing that all these turbo vs GTR posts and doing track days has made me realize, is that I should have got a GT3RS lol.

I guess I'll know better for next time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 beats GT-R and Porsche turbo in C&D comparison test