997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

M3 beats GT-R and Porsche turbo in C&D comparison test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Diesel350 is infamous around these parts
M3 beats GT-R and Porsche turbo in C&D comparison test

Discuss!!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Why would you want to discuss? I love M3's ( well E30's and E46's ) the E90's has now grown on me one ounce.

C&D LOVES THE M3 - ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL. They add in Price to their equation and that will always put the Porsche out of the points...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Don't you know the C and D is another way of saying B and W?

They said M3 was the most fun to drive, even though it was slower than GTR or 911TT in every performance category except one. (30mph to 70mph) Fair enough, win is win. I can see some people liking M3 better than GTR or 911TT due to RWD and classic approach to performance car.

P.S - They also say M3 is the cheapest and most practical on everyday driving. But since when did the "cheapest" and most "practical" car started to win the "performance" comparison?

Last edited by Akira; 05-28-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Read the review, lol. The two most important categories to the writer are price and which car has the most comfortable rear seats.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Can't say I agree with them, these cars are so different that its unbelievable anyone would actually take the time to compare them. 911 turbo is on a totally different level than M3, I doubt any buyer would ever cross-shop them. After owning E46 M3 for three years and driving the manual 335i extensively, I honestly don't see what is so special about it. Its a great car, especially to use daily, but its nowhere near as fun to drive or as fast as 911 Turbo or Nissan GT-R. In several comparison tests, Mercedes C63 beat the M3, such as this one:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6697

I would agree 100% with this Road and Track test. Sure M3 handles great, especially on track, but it just isn't as fun to drive as any 63 AMG, much less a 911 turbo.

P.S. The only good thing about this test is that it shows how much 911 turbo is faster than a Nissan GT-R. 9:29 at the ring my ***, that car can't even break 12's in the 1/4 mile... there is no way a stock GTR would be fast enough on Nurbrugring's long straights when its top end is so weak. Stupid fanboys

Last edited by Tuskir; 05-28-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
C & D = Cash and Advertising Dollars

Their new slogan is: "What's in your Wallet"....

Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Price and back seats?!?!?!

What a joke! The M3 cant beat the carrera S!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tuskir

P.S. The only good thing about this test is that it shows how much 911 turbo is faster than a Nissan GT-R. 9:29 at the ring my ***, that car can't even break 12's in the 1/4 mile... there is no way a stock GTR would be fast enough on Nurbrugring's long straights when its top end is so weak. Stupid fanboys
You kidding? Can't break 12's? You sound like the fanboy to me. I love the Porsche 997TT, and I like the GT-R. I have respect for any great car. You sound directly opposite.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=126453#1

Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
lol look at the final result numbers. The turbo loses all of its points vs the m3 based on the as tested price, trunk space, rear seat comfort, and rear seat space categories. yay! who cares!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Just so you know, lap time is nothing like 1/4mile. It's all about how much you can carry around your speed through turns, how fast you can stop, and the exit speed plays big role in determining what top speed you will reach on the straight.

That's why GT2 is a lot faster than 911TT on the ring, but not that much difference on the 1/4mile. Or better example, GT3 being faster than 911TT on the track despite being slower on the 1/4mile.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I think the most important paragraph from that article is

Fact is, we asked Chevy for a 2008 Corvette Z06 and we asked Dodge for a 2008 Viper SRT10, but both refused to loan us their cars — presumably because we'd be testing their best metal against the almighty GT-R.

Sniff, sniff. Does somebody smell chicken?

I think that was bad move from GM and Dodge. ZO6 and SRT10 should be able to keep up with GTR or even beat it on the some category. But by not sending in their cars, it makes them look like they didn't want to loose or think their car is not fast as GTR.

Last edited by Akira; 05-28-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
The turbo loses all of its points vs the m3 based on the as tested price, trunk space, rear seat comfort, and rear seat space categories. yay! who cares!

/\
||

Exactly. The same criteria I gave no second thought to what so ever when buying my Turbo.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
If you read the whole article, it says that they have since tested a third GT-R that was as fast as the first. And it was 7:29 around the ring not 9:29!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Akira
I think the most important paragraph from that article is

I think that was bad move from GM and Dodge. ZO6 and SRT10 should be able to keep up with GTR or even beat it on the some category. But by not sending in their cars, it makes them look like they didn't want to loose or is not fast as GTR.
LOL... Dodge and Chevy both know some will drive their cars slower showing others are better quicker/faster.

3800 pound car pushing same AWHP as the Z06 and the Z weighing in 700 pounds less. Right right, that is a close match with two equal drivers (sarcasm emoticon here). Mag racing has been around forever and it is stronger than ever today.

Last edited by Almo; 05-28-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
LOL --I have BOTH cars . http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/yrralis1

First I'd like to say that the M3 is one spicy machine in terms of fun and value . Plus the way the car is released stock is quite impressive .

In contrast the 997tt stock really needed some help and in my case the price tag of those mods to give it that help is about 70K (the cost of an M3) .

But make no mistake --the modded 997tt is a monster and ought not even share the same drveway with an M3 UNLESS one wants that trunk and extra seat in moments when driving becomes more rational .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 beats GT-R and Porsche turbo in C&D comparison test