997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Break In - Bulls**t or Reality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Break In - Bulls**t or Reality

Has anybody "abused" their Porsche during 2000 mile break in and ever had a problem that the dealer or Porsche blamed on not following proper break in procedures? I've heard everything from "drive it like you stole it" to never exceed 4000 rpms, shift every five minutes, & constantly vary rpms. Personally I am somewhere in the middle.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Abuse is cold zinging or standing on it before the oil's warm. I never do any of those. I think varying the rev's during run-in is most import.

It ain't no wall-flower, mine saw many full throttle runs during the first 500 kms. but only after the oil was thoroughly warm.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
My friend's 997TT with "hard" brake in. After 10K, engine running strong and without any problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jamie
Abuse is cold zinging or standing on it before the oil's warm. I never do any of those. I think varying the rev's during run-in is most import.

It ain't no wall-flower, mine saw many full throttle runs during the first 500 kms. but only after the oil was thoroughly warm.
+1. Get the oil up to temp and vary the revs.

I would take porsche's "hints" (which is what they're called in the manual) a lot more seriously if these "hints" were the same everywhere else in the world. I believe only the US market has these hints.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !

I agree.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
It's bull****.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Thanks guys. It's good to get some real world feedback. My new TT is coming next month and I wanted to get off to a good start but I always hear conflicting advice on how to break it in. Seems like if the oil is up normal temp then that engine ought to be ready for whatever comes.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
i never did break-ins... drove it like i stole it from the moment i left dealership. (salesman only told me to take it easy on the tires and brakes for the 1st 1000km, and when i asked whether i had to drive it easy, he shook his head and he was like that all bull**** they already run the cars before u even get them) I havent had any engine issues with both cars (thanks god) only minor other unrelated stuff. and i drive the car HARD, daily. At times i do go full on even when oil temp is cold (i know im not supposed to but sometimes i just cant wait), however i did notice with my previous C2S that the CEL would keep flashing when i did that on a cold engine but once i slow down it would go away. This has never happened to me with the turbo (YET)

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Warm it up and break it in hard.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
khaosai is infamous around these parts
Hi,

just looking at the TT drivers manual here in Dubai.

It basically says that the wearing in of moving parts mainly occurs in the first 3000 Km's (1865 miles).

During that mileage, preferably take longer trips and avoid high engine speeds, especially when the engine is cold.

Bedding in of brakes takes several hundred Km's.

Tyres should be broken in by driving at moderate speeds for the first 100 - 200 Kms.

Trying hard to follow the manuals advice...

Rgds.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
I lease & could care less...

Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !

I wouldn't do that until oil is warm whether I had 200 or 20,000 miles.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:47 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Warm it up and let her rip. I was easy(sorta) for the first 500miles or so. Then it was wide open when it was warmed up when I could find an open stretch. I think your car will appreciate you for it

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Do not do it. Run the car soft and easy for the first 2000 miles. 0-500 miles do not run over 3800 RPM. 500- 1000 miles do not run the car over 4200 RPM. 1000 - 2000 miles do not run over 4700 RPM. Always let the car warm up before hitting the gas hard. After 2000 miles, change the oil and filter.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:33 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbojohn54
Thanks guys. It's good to get some real world feedback. My new TT is coming next month and I wanted to get off to a good start but I always hear conflicting advice on how to break it in. Seems like if the oil is up normal temp then that engine ought to be ready for whatever comes.
Bad assumption. ????? listen to a $20 per hour sales man on how to run a $140,000 car. Good advice??? Be smart! It takes 2000 miles to fully breakin the car. All of mine rip a$$ because I do it right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break In - Bulls**t or Reality