997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dymag Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
At the moment 5 of my friends have these Dymag wheels...At least 3 of those sets are leaking!

The quality control of that firm should be a lot better...

Better to buy TUV approved wheels (BBS,Cargraphic,Gemballa,Techart etc.) always if you actually drive the car!

Old 06-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Prestige is infamous around these parts
They sure are beautiful

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01440.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	72113  
Old 06-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The pic posted by member Prestige is my GT3. I have had the Dymags for 11 months and the only issue has been a slow leak from the right front. These wheels have stood up to all the tests of aggressive driving and competition.
The performance improvement is unbelieveable. The most noticeable effect has been in braking. The effort to decelerate the car greatly decreased.
The fronts (19x9) are 16 lbs. and rears(19x12) are 18lbs. I know so other member has stated higher weights well the answer is NO. I have the friggin wheels and I weighed them my friggin self!!!

I've had these wheels to 170 - 180 mph and I'm still here, I know some want me dead.
Another member mention he'd prefer other wheels of more quality. Those mentioned, ie Techart, Cargraphic and some other well they weigh a TON.
The only one stated that I acknoledge as quality was BBS.

The leak will be solved and life moves on.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:41 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I have to agree with Kaizu - the quality control could be better. I have a few VERY small blemishes in the paint on the magnesium centers. Probably the only person that would notice is the person that wrote the $9,000.00 check. No leak problems. As far as weights go - see below. These are with stems and valve caps but without tire pressure monitors.

Rears 20.5

Fronts 16.8

Last edited by imcarnuts; 09-26-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Here are some pics of the GT3 with Dymag wheels.

Great wheels. Any negative comments come from those who do not have them have no ideao the wheels quality.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
JP66 is infamous around these partsJP66 is infamous around these parts
I eventually plan to get a set of the same Dymags as imcarnuts, when I get a TT.

Do they come with a warranty, if so, how long?

What is the wait time to get the wheels, once ordered?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Wait time

I have a set on order 7/8 weeks A.R.O.

Getting the center spokes painted / than a clear coat

Gee-Bee

TI lug's about 900.00

Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
so, I have a set of champion RS98s. Are the dymags really that much lighter? I think the weight is about the same.

Forgedwheeler: what's your opinion on the quality and strength of champion rims?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Personally, I bought them for their appearance. Not because of weight. All of the talk about unsprung weight and less rotational mass is just icing on the cake for me. Now, if that translates into the effect of more hp then wonderful.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Dear Dymag customers,
<O</O
It is very regrettable that in some isolated instances some of our valued customers have experienced air leakage problems with our new Carbon Magnesium wheels. Dymag takes customer service and quality very seriously and we are continually reviewing and improving our product options. As you would expect, prior to product launch Dymag conducted a thorough and extensive test programme both within our test facility and with target race customers over a full season. However, it is clear that an intermittent air leakage problem does exist and our engineers are working hard to identify the cause and implement the solution. All customers that have been affected will be taken care of and should contact Dymag or its representatives accordingly. Dymag always has and always will stand behind its products
In a further development, Dymag is working with our importers Wheel Enhancement to put together a US based service centre, which will enable us to provide a faster response time to meet our US customer needs.
Best regards
Andy Goswell
CEO
Dymag Racing UK Ltd
<O></O>
Wheel Enhancement is the new US importer for Dymag wheels. We feel that Dymag makes an excellent quality, technologically advanced product. However there have been some questions raised that we feel are important to address and resolve. Because of this, representatives from our company visited Dymag’s factory in mid June to discuss some of the problems that have come up. As you see in Dymag’s response they are committed to identifying the problem and implementing a solution. We feel that developing a US based service center for Dymag wheels in our facility in the near future will offer much better service for repair and warranty needs. Please call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Wheel Enhancement

Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Alan Baylis
Dear Dymag customers,
<o></o>
It is very regrettable that in some isolated instances some of our valued customers have experienced air leakage problems with our new Carbon Magnesium wheels. Dymag takes customer service and quality very seriously and we are continually reviewing and improving our product options. As you would expect, prior to product launch Dymag conducted a thorough and extensive test programme both within our test facility and with target race customers over a full season. However, it is clear that an intermittent air leakage problem does exist and our engineers are working hard to identify the cause and implement the solution. All customers that have been affected will be taken care of and should contact Dymag or its representatives accordingly. Dymag always has and always will stand behind its products
In a further development, Dymag is working with our importers Wheel Enhancement to put together a US based service centre, which will enable us to provide a faster response time to meet our US customer needs.
Best regards
Andy Goswell
CEO
Dymag Racing UK Ltd
<o>></o>>
Wheel Enhancement is the new US importer for Dymag wheels. We feel that Dymag makes an excellent quality, technologically advanced product. However there have been some questions raised that we feel are important to address and resolve. Because of this, representatives from our company visited Dymag’s factory in mid June to discuss some of the problems that have come up. As you see in Dymag’s response they are committed to identifying the problem and implementing a solution. We feel that developing a US based service center for Dymag wheels in our facility in the near future will offer much better service for repair and warranty needs. Please call or e-mail if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Wheel Enhancement
Congratulations on your appointment as distributor of Dymags. Once your US based service center is in operation can I send mine for refinishing, on your dime, to fix the small blemishes I mentioned in my previous post? Sorry to "welcome" you with a problem but........

Thanks

Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Duffy,

Please send pictures of the blemishes to my e-mail alan@wheelenhancement.com

Thank you

Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
The Dymags are light, about 17-18 pounds for the front and 20-21 pounds for the rear. (19x9, 19x12).
However, there have been widespread reports of breakage, not of the rim, but the magnesium center. Theory is that the rim stiffness, AND IT IS VERY STIFF, forces the center to do more of the work on rough surfaces or hard cornering than on a regular alloy wheel.
IMHO, forged aluminum would be a better choice for the center. It has more inherent ductility than magnesium and is WAY less expensive. There would also be only a tiny weight penalty, a few ounces maybe.
Forged aluminum is also far less susceptible to corrosion, not that any of us would drive our cars on a day without sun.
Widespread reports, can you give us one report of failure? If your going to make a statement like that give us some proof.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
cobalt94T is infamous around these parts
Just curious, if the magnesium alloy used is not proprietary, is it ZE41AT5 as used on the F1 wheels. Is it cast using a form of rare earths alloy or is it a standard Aluminum, zinc based alloy? Is it even cast?

I would assume you need an alloy that offers a high yield strength. I have seen Yield strengths as high as 24KSI out of AZ91CT6 but there are no guarantees you will see consistent results. 18KSI is more the norm. ZE41AT5 will yield about 20KSI on average but has other issues. I am assuming every wheel is Xrayed? How long do you warranty these for and what coating is used to prevent corrosion? For what must be put into these wheels the price sounds fair.

Just a point to what others had mentioned, if the center weighs 10 of the 16 pounds and aluminum was used in lieu of magnesium, figure that would add 3 pounds to the overall weight of the wheel.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Dymag's

Two more weeks for me....

Tires are sitting there with a new set of sensor's and the N2 tank has a full charge, now I will take my time and spray the new stem's black before the install.....

Now where are my Ti Lug nut's ?

Gee-Bee

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dymag Rims