997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Allowing Your Kids To Drive your 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Pauly is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by cclarkporsche
hey guys i was just wondering if you allow your kids to drive you 997 turbo. I have a 16 year old son that covinced me to buy the car in the first place and hes the only one that ever drives the car. Sometimes i let him take it out by himself but i know that he wont go and crash or screw around with it because i personally think he loves the car more than i do.
Do you ever dive the car?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
LamboRick is infamous around these parts
Personally, I wouldn't. I've seen too many kids here that get cocky just because dad them take out dad's pride and joy. They also tend to think they're now some kind of big shot, and like to show off.

I, honestly, wouldn't want to take that risk with my son.

But, your son maybe different, and you know him better than any of us do.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Big difference . The teen is not only in many ways considered a minor but also happens to be the child of the parent who hands him the key .

The parent has to live with the risk choice he could hedged by saying no .
The kid does not get that choice in the most tragic example.

the same can honestly be said about any car he is behind the wheel of. What do you think the percentage of kids who crashed daddies powerful car vs kids who didn't? You think more then 1% actually crashed? What percent do you think died? .01%?

There are so many things out there that can end your life. Whether it's chocking on a cheeseburger or the guy in the lane next to you driving into your lane and putting you in the barrier. You can only be so careful and cautious about "what if's"

But as I said in my last post....it is a case by case instance. If you trust your kid, you trust him. If you feel he's responsible enough then right on. I know my dad trusted me...but I also know many kids that weren't trusted and rightfully so. Bottomline is YOU know your child better then anyone else. There is no across the board answer for this question.

I have friends with kids who race go karts at 80+ mph.....but on the ride home from the track they are still in child seats......

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 06-06-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
every time my father drive my 997TT i've to repaint the spoiler lip

Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
GT3 Kid is infamous around these parts
I am only 19 but have been driving my Dads 996 GT3 since I was 17. I actually got to learn to drive stick on it. I think that it is important to get at least a year of driving experience before you hop into something like a turbo. I know that I would not have felt comfortable driving the GT3 at 16. But now at 19 I'm the one that keeps the batteries charged on the GT3 and RS. I would say that I drive them more than my Dad.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT3 Kid
I am only 19 but have been driving my Dads 996 GT3 since I was 17. I actually got to learn to drive stick on it. I think that it is important to get at least a year of driving experience before you hop into something like a turbo. I know that I would not have felt comfortable driving the GT3 at 16. But now at 19 I'm the one that keeps the batteries charged on the GT3 and RS. I would say that I drive them more than my Dad.
yea, I probably drive all of our garaged cars more then my father. I put roughly 10,000 miles on his C5 corvette

Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
I'm not allowing my daugther (who is 16) to drive my P-car, YET. Its not a question of "Do I trust her?" not to abuse the car. Its due to a lack of experience and potentially getting into a situation that causes an accident and/or injury.

She has her own car and drives it every day to school. Allowing your son/daughter to drive your car puts a burden and undue pressure on them worrying about getting into an accident.

Once a couple of years experience is under her belt, if she wants to take it out, I won't have the same reservation as I do today.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
ChadC is infamous around these parts
The thing we all must realize in this is gradients. You dont do algebra before addition and subtraction. As a pilot we all start in single engine pistons and work up to faster more advanced aircraft. Age has little to do with experience. Probably not wise to put a brand new driver in a complex automobile just like not wise to put an inexperience pilot in a complex aircraft. FYI my wife even though I trust her will not drive my 997TT because she is not comfortable with the power. Truth is we all learn best with gradient steps age 16 or 60.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Lockheed911 is infamous around these parts
I let my 21 and 23 year old drive my pcar...but only with me in the passenger..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
jstrauch is infamous around these parts
I would have jumped at the chance when I was 16, but I don't think I could have handled it and I have considered myself a great driver since day one.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
SFGT3 is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't do it, even if they don't crash...they will just get used to the power. What's next?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:06 AM
RMT
RMT is infamous around these parts
foot tilt

Last edited by RMT; 06-07-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
father&sons is infamous around these parts
I just picture you going on vacation, you can fill in the rest of the story....

Old 06-07-2008, 01:21 PM
barev is infamous around these parts
Actually thinking back....when I was 16..some of the coolest cars I drove were girlfriends' dads' cars. So a little warning to all those with daughters.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM
hatnlvr is a jewel in the roughhatnlvr is a jewel in the roughhatnlvr is a jewel in the roughhatnlvr is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sparkhill
He's 16... We were all there and no matter how responsible he is with you next to him, he is at an age where we all tested the limits. Unless he has been racing since a young age, it is a lot of car for someone with very little driving experience.

I am not saying he is incapable of handling the car, just that I would have been in trouble if I was allowed to drive one at 16 without adult supervision.
+1
Been there, done that. No 16 year old is responsible enough to be given the keys of a supercar. Peer pressure is a b1tch!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Allowing Your Kids To Drive your 997 turbo