997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Allowing Your Kids To Drive your 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Tradical is infamous around these parts
Way to much car for 99.9% of under 20 drivers. It is a supercar for an experienced driver.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Micha is infamous around these parts
I myself is 19 years old and see myself as a pretty responsible person. I drove my fathers old 360 spider sometimes but he knows I wouldn't drive with the dick, even though he knows I would put the pedal to the metal on a broad and nice highway so I can learn how the car is reacting, but not on some new roads I've never been on.

But letting a 16-year old kid behind the wheel in a 997TT sounds crazy in my ears. Alright, he might know how to drive but... One misstake and the kid is gone. You can always buy a new car but never replace a 16-year old kid. So no, I wouldn't let my kids drive a car like 997TT.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
No way am I letting my kids drive either my sl55 or 997TT. I didn't let them drive my M6 either. My eldest is 18 and she has her own car. But this is just too much power to put into her hands. I couldn't live with myself if anything ever happened and I was the one that let her have the loaded 500+hp gun.

In case your wondering have a look at this thread from the M5/M6 board and now tell me if your still game to let your kids take it for a ride. AmericanM5 was sure that he was a careful driver as well.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...ght=americanm5

Very sobering. Letting our kids drive it on a track with proper instruction is fine by me, but letting them out on the street with friends+ego+who knows what else, can be lethal; not only to your kid.

One tiny error in judgement from a lack of experience can change everything. It's not worth it. Besides let them earn it like I had to.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 PM
TripleInboard is infamous around these parts
In my honest opinion it is not a good idea to let your son drive the car alone. I had written out a long reply as to why but I just deleted it all and decided to leave it at that.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
As early as 15 years old I would sneak my parents cars out when they would go day trips. I would pick up my buddies, cruise around and do burnouts. I can't imagine having a 500HP Turbo to take out! Good thing I didn't or I may not be typing this right now. I was a good kid too.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I didn't have the time to read through all the posts, but I'll add my two cents anyway. As responsible and good intentioned as most young drivers are, as parents I don't feel it would be responsible of us to allow any of them to drive a car this powerful or expensive. Even for those kids who can resist the temptations of these cars, or those who have had track or autocross training, they lack the understanding of consequences and experience. Should an unfortunate event happen, the parent will partly be to blame. The consequences will be for the entire family to burden, whether that be in a courtroom, insurance problems or cancellation, or worst of all if your son or daughter were to be injured, mamed or killed. I would never be able to forgive myself if I handed my son a weapon this powerful. It's just not worth it just so they can be "cool" or so we can be the cool parents. There are just too many stories to support this. Traffic accidents is the number one killer of kids under the age of 20. Statistics don't lie.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Cclarke, show your son how much you love him ... just say no.

If he's as level headed as you hope, he will understand when you explain it.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:58 AM
cclarkporsche is infamous around these parts
this has been great info everyone i am really going to reconsider letting my son drive the car unless its on a track or a drag by himself. I hope everything worked out fine with that kid in flordia that crashed his m5. I didnt read the whole thread on it but i hope it wasn't him who died.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Bucks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cclarkporsche
this has been great info everyone i am really going to reconsider letting my son drive the car unless its on a track or a drag by himself. I hope everything worked out fine with that kid in flordia that crashed his m5. I didnt read the whole thread on it but i hope it wasn't him who died.

Thanks
He did die, along with I think 3 friends

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cclarkporsche

Thanks
Don't forget when you are on the track, no insurance. I had a friend who was in a crash and not only does her vehicle not get covered, but her medical insurer won't cover track injuries so she ate it all. Big risks for a parent.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Just Say No

Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 PM
eaglesbasketbal is infamous around these parts
Hey guys this is my first post but I thought I could give some insight on this issue. I am 17 years old and I wrote my high school senior thesis on why teenagers are bad drivers. Our brains are not fully developed and thus we cannot make the right decisions in the heat of the moment. For the average teenager, this would be way too much car to handle. Unless the teen has had a lot of experience with cars having similar power to weight ratios, it would not be a good idea. The risk of losing your child is far too great compared to the benefit of allowing your child to have a great time. I drive an Audi A4 2.0T, and can only dream about what it is like to drive a close to 500 hp beast.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:45 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eaglesbasketbal
Hey guys this is my first post but I thought I could give some insight on this issue. I am 17 years old and I wrote my high school senior thesis on why teenagers are bad drivers. Our brains are not fully developed and thus we cannot make the right decisions in the heat of the moment. For the average teenager, this would be way too much car to handle. Unless the teen has had a lot of experience with cars having similar power to weight ratios, it would not be a good idea. The risk of losing your child is far too great compared to the benefit of allowing your child to have a great time. I drive an Audi A4 2.0T, and can only dream about what it is like to drive a close to 500 hp beast.
Good points. And welcome to the 6!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:28 AM
RaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the roughRaminGTI20 is a jewel in the rough
first time i got to drive my dads porsche was about a month ago....and im 18 now, ive driven the car a billion of times with him but he never wanted to give me the keys to it alone, not because im reckless/irresponsible (ive been driving since i was 8 with my grandpa) but he has the mentality that he worked hard for it and doesnt want anyhting to happen to it-rightfully so (yes he is the type that parks in africa when going to any public place).ive driven a handful of nice cars like aston martin, bentley, W12 audi, maserati's so its not like ive never driven a nice car. i was really excited to drive it alone to push it a little, i hit maximum 80 in a straight. then a ducati came up to me and tired to race me....believe me my will power was strong that day, i just ignored the guy....i knew i didnt know the limits of the car because i drive civilized with my dad so i knew that would be dumb. but if i were to drive the car a lot by myself, then i can see myself getting cocky but not to a completely crazy extent. just follow your kid candidly next time he drives to see how he's doing and is not getting cocky- cars can be replaced....16 year olds cant

Last edited by RaminGTI20; 06-14-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Another data point: Hulk Hogan's son (17) driving his dad's 1000HP Supra, almost killed himself and put his passenger in a persistence vegetative state.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Allowing Your Kids To Drive your 997 turbo