997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension Customers, ready for Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Not a 911, but the guys at caymanclub.net did an install:

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...duct=202&cat=5

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
I just ordered 2 off eric. delivered promptly and I will post next week (install is happening on 2 cars on monday) as to how it performs. On one of the cars I am going to attempt satellite into aux as well.

will let you all know. installing onto a TT 08 and a Cayenne 08.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 AM
iwamas is infamous around these parts
just placed my order.... still haven't gotten my car yet... it should arrive on thursday.... so i can't freaking wait

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Precisely.
I want to double check this: iphone right Eric? So with the Denison I can use a single device, my iphone, not my iphone + ipod, but iphone for both bluetooth calls and music simultaneously. That would be awesome.

My experience to date with an iphone and an ihome has been less than stellar. The iphone can sit on the cradle and play music if you put the device in airplane mode (i.e., no phone). Just want to make sure this issue doesn't replicate itself with the Denison unit.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Subbie is infamous around these parts
I had the BTA1500 installed last week in an 07 997TT that has the Gateway 500. After some trial and error we decided to install the Dension Mic where the OEM mic resides on the steering column. I haven’t tested the unit to much seeing its over 100 degree's here this week. I strongly suggest you and your installer test a few places in the car to hard wire the mic, as we found there were some echoing on the 'other' persons phone when they spoke the closer the mic was to the speakers. The sound was great inside the car and once I set my phone to have the bluetooth paring on 100% of the time, the phone and the car automatically pare nicely.
<O</O
<O</O
The software integration is a bit different then the Porsche OEM phone (my other car has that) but the unit works fine once I got use to the differences. I'm sure Dension will tweak and upgrade the software as they have done with the Gateway 500.

<O</OOn a side note, I asked my installer to try to hook up the OEM mic in the steering column (even tho I did not order the phone module the OEM mic was there) and after some McGivering we tested the OEM mic with the BTA1500. We found the OEM mic to be at 15 ohms (think its ohms) and the Dension mic to be 10 ohms. The OEM mic was louder and clearer but unfortunately every word spoken from the 'other' persons phone had an echo so we went with the Dension Mic.

I'm very interested to hear other peoples experiences with the unit.<O</O
<O

Last edited by Subbie; 07-08-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
cayenne-tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Subbie
I had the BTA1500 installed last week in an 07 997TT that has the Gateway 500. After some trial and error we decided to install the Dension Mic where the OEM mic resides on the steering column. I haven’t tested the unit to much seeing its over 100 degree's here this week. I strongly suggest you and your installer test a few places in the car to hard wire the mic, as we found there were some echoing on the 'other' persons phone when they spoke the closer the mic was to the speakers. The sound was great inside the car and once I set my phone to have the bluetooth paring on 100% of the time, the phone and the car automatically pare nicely.
<O</O
<O</O
The software integration is a bit different then the Porsche OEM phone (my other car has that) but the unit works fine once I got use to the differences. I'm sure Dension will tweak and upgrade the software as they have done with the Gateway 500.

<O</OOn a side note, I asked my installer to try to hook up the OEM mic in the steering column (even tho I did not order the phone module the OEM mic was there) and after some McGivering we tested the OEM mic with the BTA1500. We found the OEM mic to be at 15 ohms (think its ohms) and the Dension mic to be 10 ohms. The OEM mic was louder and clearer but unfortunately every word spoken from the 'other' persons phone had an echo so we went with the Dension Mic.

I'm very interested to hear other peoples experiences with the unit.<O</O
<O
Subbie,

Are you in the bay area? What shop did you go to install? Do you mind sharing the cost? I'm interested in this setup but want to know what I would be in for. Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
will this work on my GTS? what do i need in total and what is total cost? what is the gateway 500?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I used ...

Ask for Ernie. They do hi-end audio/video and were recommended by the boyz at Sharkwerks. Please tell him Gail sent ya, as for the cost, very minimal because the unit is plug n play to the Gateway 500 and all he had to do is run the Mic. If you dont have the Gateway 500 preinstalled it will run you more, thats a bit more complicated.

I dont know if the is the end all BT/Ipod answer, I'd love to compare it head to head to the new Mobridge unit for sound and usability.

Sound Innovations
30872 Huntwood Ave. #2
Hayward, CA 94544
510-471-9062
www.soundinnovations.com

Originally Posted by cayenne-tt
Subbie,

Are you in the bay area? What shop did you go to install? Do you mind sharing the cost? I'm interested in this setup but want to know what I would be in for. Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fantasma
will this work on my GTS? what do i need in total and what is total cost? what is the gateway 500?
Yes it will work assuming you have PCM with the telephone buttons (IF you want bluetooth). Otherwise GW500 is the main Dension unit (on our ORDER page). It will allow iPod integration to the system directly to the fiber optic loop.

Originally Posted by OT997
So with the Denison I can use a single device, my iphone, not my iphone + ipod, but iphone for both bluetooth calls and music simultaneously. That would be awesome.
No. When docked, the iPhone/iPod is a slave to the Dension.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 07-09-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
OT997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
No. When docked, the iPhone/iPod is a slave to the Dension.
Does that mean that when its a 'slave to the denison' it can or cannot be playing music and receive or send phone calls through bluetooth? Or is it like the ihome where when docked and a slave to the ihome the device needs to have the phone/wifi turned off in order to play music, at which point it's basically an ipod slave unit, sans phone.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
todthebod is infamous around these parts
Hey Stubbie,

I have suffered from the echo problem you are referring to and have never found a mic location that solves the issue. Can you post pics and a description of exactly where you placed the mic to eliminate the echo?

Thanks!
t

<o></o>
<o></o>

<o></o>On a side note, I asked my installer to try to hook up the OEM mic in the steering column (even tho I did not order the phone module the OEM mic was there) and after some McGivering we tested the OEM mic with the BTA1500. We found the OEM mic to be at 15 ohms (think its ohms) and the Dension mic to be 10 ohms. The OEM mic was louder and clearer but unfortunately every word spoken from the 'other' persons phone had an echo so we went with the Dension Mic.

I'm very interested to hear other peoples experiences with the unit.<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Both the OEM Mic and the Dension Mic are under the cover. He placed the Mic under the slots.

On some calls the Mic volume is to low, when we tested it, it was ok. Now I'm unsure if this is gonna be the right spot.... grrr

Originally Posted by todthebod
Hey Stubbie,

I have suffered from the echo problem you are referring to and have never found a mic location that solves the issue. Can you post pics and a description of exactly where you placed the mic to eliminate the echo?

Thanks!
t

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Hehe and btw ... Stubbie must be your nickname (ducking)... lol

Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
todthebod is infamous around these parts
haha, sorry Subbie... that was an innocent typo for a firstimer. Some have said that all who drive fast sports cars might have a stubbie.. Good thing its not true (achem)

Everywhere I move the mic, the other party either hears an echo or can't hear me well. I can hear them fine, but haven't been able to solve the mic placement issue. I wonder if a higher quality mic would work than the one they provide.

On the otherhand, maybe its an issue with our type of phone and not the BTA. I have a blackberry, what do you have?

Does anyone else have experience solving this issue? With the CA handsfree law, this became a higher priority for me now.

Hehe and btw ... Stubbie must be your nickname (ducking)... lol

Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM
As I mentioned, we tryed the OEM mic in the same position, sounded great but was worst on the echo bit. I'm hoping this is an issue that Eric and Dension can work out with a software patch.

I have a Motorola Razor as the host phone.

Btw, you can turn the stereo volume way down and that will help with the echo a tad. Of coure you will go deaf trying to hear the other person.

Help us Eric

In a perfect world, have Dension make a connector that works with the OEM Mic and then fix whatever is making the echo so bad. The OEM mic sounded really good.

Last edited by Subbie; 07-11-2008 at 06:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Customers, ready for Bluetooth?