997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dension Customers, ready for Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Look like many of us are getting these issues. I have two. One in the TT and one in the Cayenne. Mikes are located at the recommended position in the Cayenne (near globe light) and under the steering column. In both positions the problems remain the same. Echo - unless I turn the speakers down on the PCM to an inaudable level. Microphone pickup - people cannot hardly ear me.

So IMO - location is not the issue and hardly makes a difference.

It also seems to me that its across several phones - in my case the iphone. So I doubt that is the issue too.

So that narrows it down to a software issue or a hardware issue with the mike itself. Has anyone tried another mike ?. does one even exist ?. or is it unique to the unit itself. I saw mentioned that the OEM mike was hooked up on one case ?. Does the other end of the OEM mike simply unplug from the PCM and plug into the dension ?. I wouldnt mind trying that myself as a stop gap.

Last edited by skyytek; 07-14-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
rscholl is infamous around these parts
looks cool.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
LemmyCaution is infamous around these parts
We have a TOOKI in our 2008 Cayenne - it works about 80% of the time. Then it just decides to carry one side of the conversation only. I have not found a way to replicate the problem or to prevent it.

On the suggestion of Jamey Rawlings, I tried the Dension unit as I already have a GW500 with iPod integration.

What a difference! In two weeks - no sync problems however, mic gain/volume is so low as to be nearly inaudible on the other end so, back to the TOOKI until the volume problem is resolved or until an update fixes the sync problem on the TOOKI.

The fact that the Dension allows Voice calling is awesome. It works great with both my wife's razr and my Q9h (they're both VoiceSignal as licensed by Motorola).

We are using the aftermarket TOOKI mic. Moving it to different locations had no effect on the outgoing mic volume. It must be an impedance or current mismatch.FYI - mounting the mic inside a structure may be the cause of echo - the mics as supplied typically have noise cancellation ports in addition to the primary port - when these are covered, they can cause echo. Just my 2 cents -

Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LemmyCaution
We have a TOOKI in our 2008 Cayenne - it works about 80% of the time. Then it just decides to carry one side of the conversation only. I have not found a way to replicate the problem or to prevent it.

On the suggestion of Jamey Rawlings, I tried the Dension unit as I already have a GW500 with iPod integration.

What a difference! In two weeks - no sync problems however, mic gain/volume is so low as to be nearly inaudible on the other end so, back to the TOOKI until the volume problem is resolved or until an update fixes the sync problem on the TOOKI.

The fact that the Dension allows Voice calling is awesome. It works great with both my wife's razr and my Q9h (they're both VoiceSignal as licensed by Motorola).

We are using the aftermarket TOOKI mic. Moving it to different locations had no effect on the outgoing mic volume. It must be an impedance or current mismatch.FYI - mounting the mic inside a structure may be the cause of echo - the mics as supplied typically have noise cancellation ports in addition to the primary port - when these are covered, they can cause echo. Just my 2 cents -
are you saying you have the mike problems on the dension ?. or the tooki ?. or both ? The location has little effect really - I have tried it everywhere. In fact, the factory position (just over the steering column in the TT) - under the grill - is the best location - but ever so slightly.

I too am waiting for a resolution to this low pickup and echo.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Spoke to Dension today. They are hard at work on this issue (echo) and what is really strange is outside the US, there are zero reports of echo. Not sure if that has anything to do with the US spec vehicles, head units, or anything, but just an interesting tidbit. And the majority of BTA customers have no echo. Not sure if it's a product issue, installation issue, conflict in wiring, interference or what. But that's why they are working on this and it's taking some time.

From what we understand, they are toying with the wiring, mic options, and firmware.

As most of you know, when they dig in, they dig in deep, and won't 'early' release a fix until it is proven to work.

We have a test bed set up for the fix, so we're just waiting now. Everyone who has emailed me about having the echo will hear from us as soon as we know, and we'll post anything new as soon as we have it.

Appreciate the patience. I am hopeful we'll have a fix very soon. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Eric -

Just to add to the data points that you listed above to help track this down:

I had my BTA1500 mounted up next to the GW500, which is next to the Nav DVD in the front trunk. The mic wire routed up to the firewall grommet and then up to the steering column and later to the dome light locations.

Phones: Palm Treo 700P and iPhone 3G
Car: 2007 997 TT (PCM)

Problems:
1 Echo
2 Weak voice pickup (hard for listener to hear me)

Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We are assembling a data package for Dension. If you are having the ECHO issue (and/or the low voice pickup), please EMAIL ME the following:

Model/Year of vehicle<o></o>
Model of telephone<o></o>
Wireless service<o></o>
Location of Bluetooth mic
Echo problem - yes/no
Low voice pickup - yes/no
<o></o>

We’re going to try to get this pieced together in better fashion. Thanks.

Please do not reply on the board, just email me the details as listed above.

eric@bumperplugs.com
<o></o>