997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

safe to jump start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
safe to jump start

long story short, went away to europe for a while and didn't realize it had been 4 weeks since driving. is it safe to jump start a 2008 turbo?

tia,

emturbo

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Never tried, but I did invest in the battery charger from suncoast! Suggest you consider that next time you abandon the Turbo!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche makes a charger that goes into your cigarette lighter if you are going to leave the car sitting for more than 2 or 3 weeks. There are electronics on the car that continue to use energy.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would call roadside . They came to me in less than an hour when I had a flat tire .
If an owner never touches the engine then a warranty claim won't be denied as a result.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Larry, just had my first flat too - fortunately was next to a gas station so they put air in so I could get to the dealer. Took in a rivet. Had to buy a new tire (only had 1600 miles on it). Oh well!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gretapass
Porsche makes a charger that goes into your cigarette lighter if you are going to leave the car sitting for more than 2 or 3 weeks. There are electronics on the car that continue to use energy.
+1 on getting a charger...in fact, you can buy the OEM charger from Phil at detailer's domain for about $40 less than from Porsche.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=153

Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 AM
appreciate the tips on the charger and saving $40.

when i called roadside they said they would have to flatbed it to my local dealer and then do everything (charge it, check diagnostics, etc) there. sounds pricey. thats why i'm asking about jumping it.

Anyone else have input?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
What does the manual say? I haven't looked at it thoroughly but I think there is something in there about it. You should be able to jump it following the "book" I would think.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Just jump start.. You think a porsche has never been jump started before?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
never mind. found a guy up the street with a charger.

guess i'll charge it and see what the dealer says on Friday.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
why would you be worried about jumpstarting a car?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM
read some things online that said in newer/higher end cars the electronics can be damaged if too much power is run through the system.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emturbo
read some things online that said in newer/higher end cars the electronics can be damaged if too much power is run through the system.

I'm of the philosophy that if owners never touch the car then all repair concerns fall onto ONE party . I even think that companies like BMW took a dipstick out of their models so that owners would stop going under the hood --lol .

Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meaker
Just jump start.. You think a porsche has never been jump started before?
What he said. I had to jump mine a month ago. Washed car and left key in ignition over night.

Some helpful hints:

http://mobile.coochas.com/

Also read the manual. There is a section about jump starting.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
What he said. I had to jump mine a month ago. Washed car and left key in ignition over night.

Some helpful hints:

http://mobile.coochas.com/

Also read the manual. There is a section about jump starting.
I did the SAME exact thing last month - couldn't even get the damn key out of the ignition. What a pain in the *** to jump this car - first jump the fuse box, then the car LOL.

Anyone know why it's set up this way?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: safe to jump start