997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Shopping for headers.. Advice needed..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 AM
WTT997 is infamous around these parts
Shopping for headers.. Advice needed..

Hi 6speeders,

Planning to change the stock headers to.. Evo, Awe, Fvd, GMG.. etc.. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Ron

Old 06-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Banned
997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all997ttguru is a name known to all
FVD it is..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM
twisted997TT has a spectacular aura abouttwisted997TT has a spectacular aura abouttwisted997TT has a spectacular aura about
I cast my vote to CG, here is a pic stock vs CG before installation. The welding is an art.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !

Some of the important factors on a header are

1)each primary tube should have a port matched to the size of the exhaust port on the head
2)each merge collector should have a proper design and the flange should be matched to the turbine inlet
3)tubes should have smooth bends and no kinks, preferably have equal length tubing

The stock systems I have seen have welding slag inside the tubes which greatly narrow the opening and do not meet #1 and #2 above. Other aftermarket headers I have seen also do not match #1 and #2. The AWE units above do match #1 and #2 - I measured each one with a caliper and the port matching is perfect

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou

Some of the important factors on a header are

1)each primary tube should have a port matched to the size of the exhaust port on the head
2)each merge collector should have a proper design and the flange should be matched to the turbine inlet
3)tubes should have smooth bends and no kinks, preferably have equal length tubing

The stock systems I have seen have welding slag inside the tubes which greatly narrow the opening and do not meet #1 and #2 above. Other aftermarket headers I have seen also do not match #1 and #2. The AWE units above do match #1 and #2 - I measured each one with a caliper and the port matching is perfect

Thanks, Gene.

WTT997, let me give you some quick back-story. We have been in business for 17 years and have installed the good, bad, and ugly. This helped us tremendously when we decided to become a manufacturer. We knew what would impress and what steps we would have to take to go that extra mile to make sure technicians and end users would recommend our product over the competition.

Besides headers that are jigged to fit PERFECTLY, we have a few other little techniques that set us apart.

1. Flycut flanges. When the transition (the initial tube that goes from oblong to round) gets welded to the header flange, a small amount of warpage takes place. This is just a byproduct of the heat from welding. To combat this we then take that flange and put it in a custom fixture in our CNC machine. We then run a fine cutting tool across the flange on the side that will meet the cylinder head. It will take down any high spots from the warpage and even it out so it is perfectly FLAT. This means a perfect fit, no leaks, and no stress to the head studs.

Try taking a straight edge to a competitors product and tell me if it is flat. I am confident that it will not be. How do we know this?

Seventeen years of experience...

2. Cracking is always a concern on a Porsche exhaust. The runners are short and there is intense heat. That is why we use 321 stainless over 304.

Why? Seventeen years of experience...

3. If you notice our headers are made up of small pieces of tubing and welded together. This for some reason has been a topic of debate. We are not sure why, because many custom exhaust builders for upper echelon motorsport teams use this same technique. You are probably asking yourself how we avoid weld slag on the inside of the pipe in an area that cannot be ground down.

Simple, we "back gas" or "purge weld" during construction. We have an intricate jig system that allows us to fill the tube with Argon. This accomplishes two things. One, there is no oxygen penetration which results in a stronger cleaner weld. Second, that weld slag does not build up on the inside so it remains perfectly smooth.

Did we learn this overnight? No, from seventeen years of experience...

4. These headers have been carefully designed to assure that there is equal resistance on each runner.

A quote from our website:
In order to equalize flow across all the cylinders, careful study of the available space was in order. Also in order to provide adequate road clearance while not taking any shortcuts with tubing arrangements, we painstakingly digitized the interface between cylinders heads and turbos and then CAD designed a primary and secondary tube solution that far exceeds in quality any other design currently on the market.

5. Each port is hand finised to assure no weld slag disrupts flow.

Am I proud of our products and heritage? Damn right I am.

You will not be disappointed.

Call or email me for more info. Parts are in stock and ready to ship.

Mike@awe-tuning.com

or

888-565-2257

Please visit our web site for more detail.
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...L=997ttheaders

Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Sie_motor88 is infamous around these parts
What does the headers do exactly? Does it increase the exhaust sound ? or just performance?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sie_motor88
What does the headers do exactly? Does it increase the exhaust sound ? or just performance?
Performance only. No change in sound.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
how is the install on these guys? Looks simple when you check out their location but you know how that goes...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by gmoney
how is the install on these guys? Looks simple when you check out their location but you know how that goes...
SIMPLE

Just ask eclou. He installed his himself.

No prybar needed!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
amg e55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Thanks, Gene.

WTT997, let me give you some quick back-story. We have been in business for 17 years and have installed the good, bad, and ugly. This helped us tremendously when we decided to become a manufacturer. We knew what would impress and what steps we would have to take to go that extra mile to make sure technicians and end users would recommend our product over the competition.

Besides headers that are jigged to fit PERFECTLY, we have a few other little techniques that set us apart.

1. Flycut flanges. When the transition (the initial tube that goes from oblong to round) gets welded to the header flange, a small amount of warpage takes place. This is just a byproduct of the heat from welding. To combat this we then take that flange and put it in a custom fixture in our CNC machine. We then run a fine cutting tool across the flange on the side that will meet the cylinder head. It will take down any high spots from the warpage and even it out so it is perfectly FLAT. This means a perfect fit, no leaks, and no stress to the head studs.

Try taking a straight edge to a competitors product and tell me if it is flat. I am confident that it will not be. How do we know this?

2. Cracking is always a concern on a Porsche exhaust. The runners are short and there is intense heat. That is why we use 321 stainless over 304.

Why? Seventeen years of experience...

3. If you notice our headers are made up of small pieces of tubing and welded together. This for some reason has been a topic of debate. We are not sure why, because many custom exhaust builders for upper echelon motorsport teams use this same technique. You are probably asking yourself how we avoid weld slag on the inside of the pipe in an area that cannot be ground down.

Simple, we "back gas" or "purge weld" during construction. We have an intricate jig system that allows us to fill the tube with Argon. This accomplishes two things. One, there is no oxygen penetration which results in a stronger cleaner weld. Second, that weld slag does not build up on the inside so it remains perfectly smooth.

Did we learn this overnight? No, from seventeen years of experience...

4. These headers have been carefully designed to assure that there is equal resistance on each runner.

A quote from our website:
In order to equalize flow across all the cylinders, careful study of the available space was in order. Also in order to provide adequate road clearance while not taking any shortcuts with tubing arrangements, we painstakingly digitized the interface between cylinders heads and turbos and then CAD designed a primary and secondary tube solution that far exceeds in quality any other design currently on the market.

5. Each port is hand finised to assure no weld slag disrupts flow.

Am I proud of our products and heritage? Damn right I am.

You will not be disappointed.

Call or email me for more info. Parts are in stock and ready to ship.

Mike@awe-tuning.com

or

888-565-2257

Please visit our web site for more detail.
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...L=997ttheaders

Fantastic info and education, thanks!
It's easy to see why you guys have the best products and service.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Install is VERY simple. Basic hand tools and a little mechanical know-how, and youre good to go!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Install is VERY simple. Basic hand tools and a little mechanical know-how, and youre good to go!
and a lift (or ramps)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Looks nice Gene, how much power is there to be had(or lost) with stock turbos I wonder.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Looks nice Gene, how much power is there to be had(or lost) with stock turbos I wonder.
see dyno chart above. appears to be with stock turbos.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Alot of the headers I have seen advertised have almost no "collector" on them - the collector is where the 3 pipes merge into 1 prior to connecting to the turbo. The collector design is very important to allow the exhaust gases to mix back together with minimal flow disruption. I have seen some where the 3 tubes join together at the flange with no true collector - this is suboptimal.

Chris I think that for a stock car without software or exhaust the headers will be unlikely to add any power. I might consider it for a stage II car, but it is mandatory for a modded VTG car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shopping for headers.. Advice needed..