997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM
C4RRERA is infamous around these parts
997.2 and TTs?

First of all thanks to all for a really wonderful thread. Does anyone know if the issues with the softer handling and squatting etc was ameliorated in the 997.2 turbo or turbo s? Have a great c4s now with similar issues and am seriously considering a switch to a 997.2 TT. thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks. I've driven a 997.2 Turbo with PDK back-to-back to my 997.1 Turbo. While there were a number of revisions to 997.2 suspension, most notably PASM gen 2, stiffer rear spring, and stiffer rear bar, overall it is still for me too soft and the car still does squat a bit with acceleration, maybe even more because of the stupendous PDK acceleration.

There is one major advantage to 997.2 suspension that should be mentioned: its generation 2 PASM system. 997.1 generation 1 PASM has a design flaw: Normal setting is way too soft, and Sport Setting is way too stiff, jittery, and un-useable for street driving. Porsche actually acknowledges this at the time of 997.2 release and sure enough, 997.2 PASM is better, particularly the Sport setting: it is much less jittery.

In the end, IMHO, 997.2 Turbo is more similar to 997.1 Turbo, than to Bilstein Turbo. In other words, it is a perfect Grand Tourer, but those looking for more "GT3" blood will be disappointed. Were I to own one, yes, I would replace stock with a stiffer coilover.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Update,

I now have the Bilstein Damptronics and H&R sways installed. It was completed today so I don't have a lot time driving it and I think there will be some settling however my first impressions are very good.

No question the ride is more stiff and a little bouncy on some bumps but that is to be expected. The positive is that I can live with it and I was actually expecting worse.

I can also state emphatically that the turn in and cornering feel much more stable and what little bit of sway there was in a turn seems to be non-existent now.

One of the best benefits I can easily tell is the lower stance than before. I immediately do a double take when looking at the car because what used to be a great looking car is now ever greater. It has a more aggressive bad *** look to me.

I'll have more and some pictures a little later. In the mean time, again, many thanks to Cannga for all the great information within this thread as well as the little nudge I needed to get this ball rolling.

Walt

Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute

Nikon D800 and Nikkor 24-70 2.8

Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Earl, you are very welcome, congrats and drive safely. Regarding lowering, I know, once anyone has seen their car lowered (if driveway permits), it would be extremely hard to go back to stock height. The effect is even more dramatic when you park the 2 cars next to each other: the non-lowered car will positively has an SUV look to it.

For anyone interested: I don't care how Bilstein does and how many they sell, but for the love of motorsports, if you are looking for tighter and more precise handling, I cannot emphasize a switch to the Damptronic enough. The transformation is unmistakable and IMHO will be the single most important thing you do for the Turbo (yes more important for me than exhaust and ECU tune - Porsche is about handling first and foremost to me).
Here also is one of the very few examples of something we do that benefits both cosmetically and dynamically. Lowering car also reduces weight transfer, a major benefit for high speed cornering, real science and no snake-oil :-). Lowering btw is the only thing we have within our power to reduce weight transfer. The other 2 parameters, car weight, and track width, are beyond our control (now you know why race car is wide, low, and light - it's about reduction of weight transfer).

Very nice pics and camera/lens - thanks for sharing. I am actually fairly off-the-chart crazy about photography - worst example of pixel peeper you'll run across. I have Canon system but recently has been playing around with Nikon cameras and the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 zoom: very nice, but big and bulky, and still just one notch below Contax Distagon 21 f/2.8 for those nutty enough.

Last edited by cannga; 08-02-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM
As some have noticed I swapped out the aero-kit front lip for the turbo lip as a temporary "curb-feeler" to see what issues I will have driving the local area as well as getting in and out of my driveway. The Turbo front lip is about 1/4 the price of the painted aero-kit lip.

One level surface the aero-kit lip was 6 inches above the ground before the Damptronics install. The turbo lip is 5.5 inches above the ground measured now. I think the aero-kit lip would be about 5-5.25 inches above the ground however it also comes forward over an inch so when the nose is down that becomes critical.

Walt (but some call me Earl :-)

Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
FasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these partsFasPilot is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WaltB
As some have noticed I swapped out the aero-kit front lip for the turbo lip as a temporary "curb-feeler" to see what issues I will have driving the local area as well as getting in and out of my driveway. The Turbo front lip is about 1/4 the price of the painted aero-kit lip.

One level surface the aero-kit lip was 6 inches above the ground before the Damptronics install. The turbo lip is 5.5 inches above the ground measured now. I think the aero-kit lip would be about 5-5.25 inches above the ground however it also comes forward over an inch so when the nose is down that becomes critical.

Walt (but some call me Earl :-)
Very prudent using the cheaper front lip as a trial horse. Even at the higher standard clearance, in the hilly town I live I have a lot of effort to avoid scraping mine (I'm on my second lip; the first didn't last long).

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
does anyone know if theres a way to "revalve" the shocks ? Normal really is waaay to soft, and "sport" just doesnt feel right. the rear likes to hop around over bumps. should i soften my sway bar ? its currently set to medium.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
does anyone know if theres a way to "revalve" the shocks ? Normal really is waaay to soft, and "sport" just doesnt feel right. the rear likes to hop around over bumps. should i soften my sway bar ? its currently set to medium.

Stock shocks of the Damptronics? The other solution is the non-coilover route. Bilstein sells the better valved PASM compatible struts and one could use them with Eibachs or another aftermarket fixed spring.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Damptronics and some other goodies.

I just got the call that my car is done. I left it in the very capable hands of guys over at Boardwalk Porsche to give her a little upgrade. List of mods include:
  • Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic Coilovers
  • H&R Sway Bars
  • GT3 toe links
  • New track meat (Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires) 245 front/ 325 rear (can you say wiiiiide)
I'll add more pics when I pick up the car, but here's a before and after

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000779.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	267108  
Attached Images  

Last edited by White Rock; 08-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
White rock, your car looks great. Boardwalk has one particular expert who is the only person allowed to touch my car. No other companies, no other people. Especially with suspension setups, but for everything really. Assume he had a hand in your car. We are lucky to have his help.
Enjoy the ride!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RNS
White rock, your car looks great. Boardwalk has one particular expert who is the only person allowed to touch my car. No other companies, no other people. Especially with suspension setups, but for everything really. Assume he had a hand in your car. We are lucky to have his help.
Enjoy the ride!
Me too. John Gladwill personally did the work on mine. I assume we have the same guy.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 AM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
Before:

After:

[/QUOTE]

Can,

Beautiful car... Never really thought I was a big red fan but it looks great on yours...

Congrats and thanks for sharing the great photos. This coming from another photo nut.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	08AE09381200comp.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	267261   Click image for larger version

Name:	08AE4913-1com1200.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	267262  
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about

Walt,

Loving your Turbo S. Especially the aero tail! Great job...

Do you know the cost and what it would take to change out the standard tail for the aero one on the 997 turbo?

Cheers,

Jim

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute

Car looks great, wheels are a perfect complement. Nicely done!

Now you just need some spacers to push those wheels out and give it a nice aggressive stance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo