997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Pic (Face lifted 911 Turbo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
gprso is infamous around these parts
But guys are you sure that the 2009 997 turbo will have the 9A1 engine

Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
It's all about the money. Porsche marketing wants to maintain their profits with the weak US dollar, true they are hedged against the dollar but that won't last forever. This way they can appear benevolent and charge the same price for the FL Turbo when in fact they are laughing all the way to the bank. This move will save/make them $25K per car easy.
They will supposedly still make the GT1 for their more serious sports cars, the RS and GT2.I wonder if the US market will even see them? Something tells me the 2008 "last of the dry sumps" will be hard to come by. I'm keeping mine forever.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gprso
But guys are you sure that the 2009 997 turbo will have the 9A1 engine
To the best of my knowledge:
  1. no face-lift in MY2009 for the Turbo
  2. the MY2009 3.6L engine/crankcase will be unchanged
  3. minor changes to MY2009 include updated PCM, Bluetooth, rumored PASM tweaks
  4. no known allocations for MY2009 past December, 2008
  5. MY2010 to be released in early 2009 to include new DFI 3.8L engine and face-lift
It seems like the days of cheaply tunable German cars has passed as the manufacturers move to modern engine designs (DFI, higher compression, etc.) that leave little room for tuning. Sure you can probably pick up 25 HP with an exhaust and a few more here and there, but the days of an extra 100-150 HP with few relatively inexpensive mods seems to be almost gone.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
It's all about the money. Porsche marketing wants to maintain their profits with the weak US dollar, true they are hedged against the dollar but that won't last forever. This way they can appear benevolent and charge the same price for the FL Turbo when in fact they are laughing all the way to the bank. This move will save/make them $25K per car easy.
They will supposedly still make the GT1 for their more serious sports cars, the RS and GT2.I wonder if the US market will even see them? Something tells me the 2008 "last of the dry sumps" will be hard to come by. I'm keeping mine forever.

Not to say that my car is a garage queen, but this won't hurt resale either. I think I'm going to get a vanity plate..."GT1 4EVR"

Last edited by bbywu; 07-05-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
To the best of my knowledge:
  1. no face-lift in MY2009 for the Turbo
  2. the MY2009 3.6L engine/crankcase will be unchanged
  3. minor changes to MY2009 include updated PCM, Bluetooth, rumored PASM tweaks
  4. no known allocations for MY2009 past December, 2008
  5. MY2010 to be released in early 2009 to include new DFI 3.8L engine and face-lift
It seems like the days of cheaply tunable German cars has passed as the manufacturers move to modern engine designs (DFI, higher compression, etc.) that leave little room for tuning. Sure you can probably pick up 25 HP with an exhaust and a few more here and there, but the days of an extra 100-150 HP with few relatively inexpensive mods seems to be almost gone.
I agree. We have no idea if the pictures of that cab and others of the turbo with the LED tail lights really represent 2009, 2010 or beyond. What we do know, is we do know is when the facelift occurs, the engine will change.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:39 AM
miamicls550 is infamous around these parts
like the subtle changes

Old 07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
I agree. We have no idea if the pictures of that cab and others of the turbo with the LED tail lights really represent 2009, 2010 or beyond. What we do know, is we do know is when the facelift occurs, the engine will change.
Do we know that? I have been trying to decide what to do, buy tt cab this fall or wait until spring. I have till July 23rd to decide if I want to do european pick up in Oct. Wanted PDK, but not interested in a non GT1 engine.

So far it looks like nav/bt/pcm upgrades will be here this fall. Possible that leds/ cosmetic changes akin to 997 Coupe may also be here this fall.

My best guess is DFI, new Engine, PDK are for late spring/summer as a 2010 model.

If anybody has hard data or input I would appreciate the info. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
v0nster is a jewel in the roughv0nster is a jewel in the roughv0nster is a jewel in the roughv0nster is a jewel in the rough
Lol!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
High Pressure is infamous around these parts
love the new tails

Old 07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Do we know that? I have been trying to decide what to do, buy tt cab this fall or wait until spring. I have till July 23rd to decide if I want to do european pick up in Oct. Wanted PDK, but not interested in a non GT1 engine.

So far it looks like nav/bt/pcm upgrades will be here this fall. Possible that leds/ cosmetic changes akin to 997 Coupe may also be here this fall.

My best guess is DFI, new Engine, PDK are for late spring/summer as a 2010 model.

If anybody has hard data or input I would appreciate the info. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do.

Dude, if you're in the market I would not wait. Get a GT1 derived turbo while the gettin is good! Don't be stuck with a red headed stepchild turbo and it's glorified boxster motor.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes Doug!
Notice how there are now about 4 cars pictured on line with the oilpan....that means to me that they re already tooled up for production, these are not oneoff cars. 2009 might even be too late!
I am F@cking keeping mine!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Definetely not a GT1 crankase although the cab in the picture does seem to have twins on it as i believe i can see the sumps for the turbos.What gives?Don't tell me Porsche is gonna turbo the base engine.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
Is it my imagination, or do the rear wheels have extra negative camber?
it is not your imagination... i see the extra negative camber in the rear

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
2009 Turbo (not a full year production) is to keep the same engine as '08. Relax everyone, take your meds. Engine change is NOT due until the '10 model appears, probably spring of 2009.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
2009 Turbo (not a full year production) is to keep the same engine as '08. Relax everyone, take your meds. Engine change is NOT due until the '10 model appears, probably spring of 2009.
Any info on the rear LED lights?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Pic (Face lifted 911 Turbo)