997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Join the 2008 Gumball 3000 Rally for FREE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Craig
Lol!! You're right. He is merely promoting others to engage in precisely the same profoundly reckless conduct that led to the prior deaths of innocent bystanders, and will likely lead to additional deaths in the future. Nothing wrong with that, so long as VR does not personally kill anyone.

Craig
so you are better because you street race yourself? don't try to play like a big man when you are a hypocrite yourself

Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Dan/BlahBlah:

Reading comprehension is apparently not one of your strong suits.

Originally Posted by Craig
Ps: I fully acknowledge that my prior occasional stoplight racing was similarly reckless and unwise, albeit considerably less egregious than Gumball.
I previously acknowledged that my individual conduct was "reckless and unwise." Am I a hypocrite? Perhaps. That being said, an organized street race of Gumball proportions is far more egregious and poses a far greater risk of harm to innocent bystanders, than any individual act of stupidity that I previously engaged in. Moreover, I no longer personally engage in such acts, precisely because of the profound risk of injury to innocent bystanders. I have changed my conduct. So should you, before someone else gets killed during a Gumball event. I humbly suggest that you refrain from promoting such a large scale risk of injury.

As to your well chronicled business practices, if there were only a couple of critical comments, I would give you the benefit of the doubt. However, the volume of criticism leveled at Vivid is overwhelming. Since you have taken to posting links, I will post a couple that I just found in three minutes of searching – there are countless other threads I am too busy to read (in no particular order):

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=107100

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40457

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/inde...0&#entry495960

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/review-s...ad-oh-bad.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=337726&pp=25

Why accuse me of having "a ton of money". I am not the one who boasts on MySpace that I earn "over $250,000 a year." That’s you!

Dan/BlahBlah, you strike me as a bright and industrious kid. Notwithstanding the extensive criticism, you have done a remarkable job building up VR. You are a wildly successful entrepreneur and you should be commended for that. You are obviously doing something right. However, you are still young and your lack of maturity hinders you. I hope your business acumen will ultimately prevail over your youth. Gumball is not a good thing and, IMHO, a successful business man such as yourself should not be associated with this event (ask your attorney). Your desire to promote charity is commendable. Find a better charitable event that does not pose a similar risk of harm. If an innocent bystander is killed during this year's Gumball, do you really want the Vivid name associated with the event that precipitated and/or caused the death. I suggest to you that such an association is not in Vivid's best interest. You obviously have keen business instincts. IMHO, this is not good business for you. Promote a safe event that also raises money for a good cause. I can put you in touch with my neighbor, who organizes safe drives of exotic cars to raise money for families of slain Highway Patrol officers. That is a cause that would further Vivid's business interests, without posing such an obvious risk of harm to the general public.

You are done. So am I.

Regards,

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 07-15-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Micha
Ehm, it's not like all the speeding in the world would end just because Gumball 3000 doesn't go. Seriously... I think atleast 95% of everyone in here has done some highway-pulls. Besides, the rally doesn't go in your children's schools so no worries there... Face it, speeding is all over the world all the time.
and the other 4.99% are liars. I am personally a fan of the gumball and the bullrun. Both are for good causes, good fun and a chance to meet other people from all walks of life. Its down to the individual driver as to whether they drive like lunatics or not. It clearly states in both events that its not a race. But in reality some may perceive it as such - and such people will race like idiots - gumball or not. Are they encouraged ? maybe ?. but again, down to the individuals concerned and not necessarily the event.

Regarding the death(s) in the gumball last year - its not exactly clear as to the true cause - many conflicting reports. Accidents happen and they are unfortunate. You have only got to look at any rally/event (professional or not) throughout the world and it has its fair share of deaths - be it drivers, passengers or spectators.

Remember - referring to craig - that there are two sides to this. Phrases like "Reading comprehension is apparently not one of your strong suits." and "your well chronicled business practices" are just personal attacks on someone that likes the gumball rally. And even if its a response to someone attacking you - you should know a bit better I think. Vivid racing are obviously doing something right - and their view on the gumball is just as important as yours.

Regarding publishing postings of criticisms against a company (founded or not) for the sole purpose of "beating" on a fellow poster (out of context) is somewhat unprofessional and a classic case of backing up a good argument with a very bad one.

Last edited by skyytek; 07-15-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Dan,

What date is the San Diego event? I'd love to go but is my car too plain to be a display car?

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by rwilliamtaylor
Dan,

What date is the San Diego event? I'd love to go but is my car too plain to be a display car?
actually a very nice looking car. bar being stickered up - you will fit in for sure.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skyytek
Are they encouraged ? maybe ?. but again, down to the individuals concerned and not necessarily the event.

Regarding the death(s) in the gumball last year - its not exactly clear as to the true cause - many conflicting reports. Accidents happen and they are unfortunate. You have only got to look at any rally/event (professional or not) throughout the world and it has its fair share of deaths - be it drivers, passengers or spectators.
Of course speeding is encouraged. When you see the "highlight" videos why are the highlights of expensive cars FLYING past other cars and many of the participants weaving in and out of traffic? Media promotes the gumball run as a ***** out no speed limit who can get the most tickets race from start to finish. The crowd cheers people who arrive first... how does that not promote speeding?

Regarding last years gumball run, yes accidents do happen and they are unfortunate but multiple people driving off the road and running into other cars and last but not least killing people in such a short amount of time within a small group is unusual. I also do not see unaware mothers with kids participating in rally races or typical race car events... not a good comparison for safety.

I just dont like when people say it doesn't promote speeding and people dont die from it. Its much worse than a closed off/empty street race where the conditions are clear of innocents.

I would never participate in it but the cars do look good. If you guys meet up in LA i'd be down to meet up and check out the stickered up cars.

Last edited by SSMugen; 07-15-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
San Diego is on the 10th. http://www.vividracing.com/blog/rand...free-aug-8-10/

These cars are to be displayed out front of the venue securely parked and protected. They will not be stickered.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by ssmugen
Of course speeding is encouraged. When you see the "highlight" videos why are the highlights of expensive cars FLYING past other cars and many of the participants weaving in and out of traffic? Media promotes the gumball run as a ***** out no speed limit who can get the most tickets race from start to finish. The crowd cheers people who arrive first... how does that not promote speeding?

Regarding last years gumball run, yes accidents do happen and they are unfortunate but multiple people driving off the road and running into other cars and last but not least killing people in such a short amount of time within a small group is unusual. I also do not see unaware mothers with kids participating in rally races or typical race car events... not a good comparison for safety.
I think your paying too much attention to sensationalism and media.

Again - you dont have to participate in speeding. I didnt say it wasnt encouraged. But if you look at some of the cars too - they wouldnt be able to go above 70mph either. eg. a london taxi. But thats besides the point. Heck - a friend on mine in europe entered in a citroen 2cv - his passenger was a mother of 3.

Akin to going out hunting in large groups. Is it dangerous - yes. Only if your reckless - clearly some people are.

But it seems our friend here who is commenting and making rather sweeping statements - is one who also raced a viper at 130mph - mmmmm. guess thats not as dangerous. :-)

Last edited by skyytek; 07-15-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Exactly. While the event organizers will disavow any encouragement of racing, or reckless driving, the facts prove otherwise.

Exactly!

Its much worse than a closed off/empty street race where the conditions are clear of innocents.
Agreed. I have participated in dangerous street races. Most of the time (albeit not always), they were conducted on empty streets, late at night, after ensuring that no other cars were present. Moreover, these bursts of speed lasted no more than 10 seconds. In contrast, Gumball involves MULTIPLE CARS racing at over 100 mph on crowded freeways, in the middle of the day, weaving in and out of cars that have no idea what is going on, for sustained periods of time -- they drive on the shoulder, and in the emergency lane -- they drive at well over 100 mph for as long as traffic permits. Don't take my word for it. Watch the videos. As dangerous as my prior street races were, and they were admittedly dangerous, they pale in comparison to what goes on during the Gumball. Perhaps I am being a hypocrite and I am slicing the onion too fine. I concede that I am not the best spokesman for my message. Nevertheless, the fact remains that Gumball is an order of magnitude more dangerous than any street racing that I ever engaged in.

But it seems our friend here who is commenting and making rather sweeping statements - is one who also raced a viper at 130mph - mmmmm. guess thats not as dangerous. :-)
Reading comprehension???? Read the thread again my friend. I was not driving the car. In fact, I was not even in the same state when that occured. Nevertheless, I am guilty of similar transgressions and, as acknowledged above, my conduct was most certainly dangerous, although far, far less dangerous than what occurs during Gumball.

Craig

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
SBrown is infamous around these parts
Vivid... sounds like it will be a great time! Wish I could make it, but I live pretty far away. I have always wanted to participate in a Gumball Rally (hopefully will one year!)

Yes, that was a terrible accident, however one person's poor decision should not ruin it for the rest. Gumball is great, to bring enthusiasts together for an amazing car oriented vacation is an awesome idea. As for Craig, you are entitled to your opinion...but Vivid didn't kill those people, he is just promoting a gathering of vehicles at a Gumball stop this year. You need to relax and SHUT UP. Get off the internet and go find that white 997 to do some highway pulls with.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
San Diego is on the 10th. http://www.vividracing.com/blog/rand...free-aug-8-10/

These cars are to be displayed out front of the venue securely parked and protected. They will not be stickered.

is there anyway to get the stickers ?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 AM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SBrown
Vivid... sounds like it will be a great time! Wish I could make it, but I live pretty far away. I have always wanted to participate in a Gumball Rally (hopefully will one year!)

Yes, that was a terrible accident, however one person's poor decision should not ruin it for the rest. Gumball is great, to bring enthusiasts together for an amazing car oriented vacation is an awesome idea. As for Craig, you are entitled to your opinion...but Vivid didn't kill those people, he is just promoting a gathering of vehicles at a Gumball stop this year. You need to relax and SHUT UP. Get off the internet and go find that white 997 to do some highway pulls with.
i love it how everyone is telling craig to "relax and shut up" and how vivid never killed anyone....obvioulsy vivid wasnt responsible for any deaths. any idiot knows that. its called an opinion. its just the promotion of an event (indirectly or directly) that should have been cancelled by now b/c of not just one tragic event but more than one is irresponsible. all those pro-gumballers may not admit it but if a family member of their's were killed, i highly doubt they would be participating in anything remotely associated with the gumball "rally".

there are many other rallies that are unknown to others (ie supercar rally of 2003) but have better cars, and no fatalities. they are not self promoters like the gumballers...

Old 07-16-2008, 04:22 AM
ninenineseven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RPM
i love it how everyone is telling craig to "relax and shut up" and how vivid never killed anyone....obvioulsy vivid wasnt responsible for any deaths. any idiot knows that. its called an opinion. its just the promotion of an event (indirectly or directly) that should have been cancelled by now b/c of not just one tragic event but more than one is irresponsible. all those pro-gumballers may not admit it but if a family member of their's were killed, i highly doubt they would be participating in anything remotely associated with the gumball "rally".

there are many other rallies that are unknown to others (ie supercar rally of 2003) but have better cars, and no fatalities. they are not self promoters like the gumballers...

+1

Be safe and enjoy it.

Last edited by ninenineseven; 07-16-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by RPM
all those pro-gumballers may not admit it but if a family member of their's were killed, i highly doubt they would be participating in anything remotely associated with the gumball "rally".
If a family member got killed hunting, I probably would be anti guns - If a family member got killed surfing and eaten by a shark - probably would be anti surfing - and wouldn't eat shark either. If a family member got hit on the head by space debris from a shuttle launch - probably wouldn't be too keen on the space program. Get my point ?. weak argument.

So if a family member of mine got killed in the gumball rally - would I enter the gumball rally - probably not. But that doesnt mean I would condone it as an event - two completely different things.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
If a family member got killed hunting, I probably would be anti guns - If a family member got killed surfing and eaten by a shark - probably would be anti surfing - and wouldn't eat shark either. If a family member got hit on the head by space debris from a shuttle launch - probably wouldn't be too keen on the space program. Get my point ?. weak argument.

So if a family member of mine got killed in the gumball rally - would I enter the gumball rally - probably not. But that doesnt mean I would condone it as an event - two completely different things.
"But that doesnt mean I would condone it as an event - two completely different things." i think you meant to say "wouldn't" instead of "would"...that being said, youre telling me that if a loved one perhaps your son or your wife who entered the "rally" and got killed or in this case, your wife/son/daughter were just driving on the street going to the grocery store and a gumballer moron hit them and they were killed. you mean to tell me that you would NOT attend the gumball rally but it ..."doesnt mean that wouldnt condone it as an event" ??! are you f%$king kidding me?! you would probably spend every waking moment bad-mouthing the event. everything directly (the rally itself) or indirectly (vivid racings event) would re-open an emotional wound anytime the name "gumball" is uttered. if you think im wrong, then obviously you really dont have any loved ones or your really insensitive..
this is not about you liking the event specifically, its more out of respect for those who were killed who had no affiliation or were innocent bystanders..it just gives max cooper another reason to go on every year.

i was invited to attended the gumball 3000 movie premier in LA a few years ago with my brother. alot of the invitees were those who actually participated on the rally that year. my bro and i were really surprised and annoyed at some of these guys and what they were doing from the time we left CEC until the time we arrived at the mann chinese theater. just coming out of the cec lot, there was this guy who thought it would be brilliant to power slide a corner on to the main street. he ended up almost hitting the curb. at the theater, not everyone could fit in the outdoor car parking area so most of us had to park in an underground garage. when we got down there, a couple in an M5 were "trying" to do donuts! with his moron friends egging him one. its a public underground parking lot for goddsake. two accidents waiting to happen but fortunately did not. this was just the move premier...you can imagine the inane things they do on the actual rally

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Join the 2008 Gumball 3000 Rally for FREE