997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather Treatment / Cleaning Interior TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The best cleaner, one that we've used since 1997, is Autoglym Interior Cleaner. It's an excellent multi-purpose interior cleaner that works on all leathers, vinyl, and carpets. It's imported from England and isn't too expensive. For really worn leather that's neglected, Leatherique or LeatherMaster works well. For most interiors though, I only recommend all-natural Zymol Treat. It has a satin finish and contain beef tallow as a main ingredient. We've had clients that have used the autoglym/treat combo for years and their car still smells new and has that distinct porsche leather scent.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
carlover08 is infamous around these parts
I have used Lexol before and I was very happy with it. I might try some of the others mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
KevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by carlover08
I have used Lexol

Same here.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Maison is infamous around these parts
So, do we use the same conditioner everywhere in the car or two different types for the seats vs other areas like doors, dash, and back of seat where the leather is hard?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 PM
TT23 is infamous around these parts
Lexol ++++ to me the best

Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM
JohnnyD is infamous around these parts
The leather in the Porsche is almost a matt finish with no glossy shine. Every protective leather product I've tried always adds a shine to the leather that doesn't appear right to the car. Do any of the above mentioned leather products not add that shine?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
The leather in the Porsche is almost a matt finish with no glossy shine. Every protective leather product I've tried always adds a shine to the leather that doesn't appear right to the car. Do any of the above mentioned leather products not add that shine?
Zymol Treat is an all-natural leather conditioner and has a flat and satin look to it. Here are some pictures:

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Maison
So, do we use the same conditioner everywhere in the car or two different types for the seats vs other areas like doors, dash, and back of seat where the leather is hard?
It all depends on if you have full leather package or not. Rule of thumb; if it has stitching around it, it's real leather. You can use leather conditioner on vinyl as well. This way, even if you have partial leather, it won't hurt to use the same product on leather as vinyl. Remeber this though, you shouldn't use vinyl conditioner on leather.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Zymol cleaner and 'Smart Leather' for conditioner. Smart Leather doesn't leave any residue or surface film that can get absorbed into clothing.
As earlier posted, for great advice on cleaning/detailing, hit autopia.org for just about any question you could imagine.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Hey Moe, I've ben using the Adam's conditioner. It's slightly more shiny than I want and it doesn't smell good at all. Between the Autoglym and the Zymol, which one provides the leather smell? I definitely want a better smell. Thanks dude.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by ELMEL
Hey Moe, I've ben using the Adam's conditioner. It's slightly more shiny than I want and it doesn't smell good at all. Between the Autoglym and the Zymol, which one provides the leather smell? I definitely want a better smell. Thanks dude.
The Autoglym Interior Cleaner is first used to remove dirt, grimme, previous products from all interior surfaces. You then, after the surfaces are properly cleaned, apply the appropriate conditioner. In the case of leather, we only use Zymol Treat or einszett Leather Conditioner. The einszett does have a strong scent that goes away after a few hours. The Zymol has a subtle banana and leather scent.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 PM
votrix is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The Autoglym Interior Cleaner is first used to remove dirt, grimme, previous products from all interior surfaces. You then, after the surfaces are properly cleaned, apply the appropriate conditioner. In the case of leather, we only use Zymol Treat or einszett Leather Conditioner. The einszett does have a strong scent that goes away after a few hours. The Zymol has a subtle banana and leather scent.
New porsche owner here ... So Amazon has two Zymol leather conditioners:
1. Zymol 301 Treat leather conditioner - $31
2. Zymol Premium Products - Leather Conditioner - $8

Which one should I be getting?