997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GTR killed by......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 AM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I took your advice and read some of your previous posts. You seem to be a real expert on all high end cars for a guy who drives a TSX and aspires to own an M3. I found that pretty amusing. You have never owned a true high end sports car, yet you talk like you are the authority on them.

This will be my last reply post to you. I realize after reading your previous posts that arguing with you is an abosulte waste of my time. However, I did find something very interesting and very IRONIC. Latez....

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1829602 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->ihatepotholes<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1829602", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Sep 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1829602><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->some of the GTR fan boys should really stay out of 6speedonline really... a lot of people here don't really care about GTR, so no need to show em up. i like porsche, i also like GTR, but its getting kinda annoying that this car gets brought up in every thread. keep it in nagtroc... or ask admin to make a GTR section under other cars.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
get off your high horse already and what did i say make me a fanboy? hahaha, i hope thats the last reply, cause you bring down my class along with your own

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 AM
K-TOWN HUSTLER is infamous around these parts
lol.

I been actin a fool for years and years on the streets and I've been to the track, but honestly. just my personal ignorant opinion to you track only drivers.... taking that **** to the track is kinda gay, if thats your only resort. if the car has registration and a license plate and you drive it regularly on the streets, it should whoop that *** period. no excuses.

I understand the driver makes a big difference, but all this it's better on the track **** is lame; i.e. if we were to box and I said hold up, you beat me down in the streets, let's put on the gloves and fight in the ring! get serious. I'm about safety when you're goin over 120mph, but cmon man, I've been racing motorcycles since I was a teenager and doin the same with cars for a long time, the track is just as dangerous when you're racing period. when do you get a chance to be on a track with just a few cars?

If I'm gonna pay $90 to $100k for a jp car, then I want it to whip some *** everywhere I go. 3.1 seconds is dumb fast. I'm not a genius, but the way that z06 was owning the GTR, whats the z06's 0-60? 2.8 seconds?

I'll admit it, if I can buy a fully loaded premium GTR for $80k, then i'll cop one asap, but I know it'll drop back to msrp by Jan or maybe sooner.

I'd get it just to have fun and let it be my clown car, because even though it's a great performer, it's getting zero respect compared to a TT.

for those dudes who were saying it's gonna hit $120k before it came out??
**** I rather have a 07 TT over that ****

and go back to the mustang forums? HHAHAAHAHAHAA

Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johhnylong
Not necessarily true. I believe "The Stig" on Top Gear ain't too shabby and he turned a lap time almost 3 seconds faster in the GTR (as posted several times in this thread). The car defies the laws physics for sure.
Well I don't believe everything I read in magazines as gospel, but anything is possible I guess? But when an owner of both cars actually races them against one another and tells you that one owns the other I have to believe him, what would that persons incentive be to lie?

Last edited by jamie furman; 07-25-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
I took your advice and read some of your previous posts. You seem to be a real expert on all high end cars for a guy who drives a TSX and aspires to own an M3. I found that pretty amusing. You have never owned a true high end sports car, yet you talk like you are the authority on them.

This will be my last reply post to you. I realize after reading your previous posts that arguing with you is an abosulte waste of my time. However, I did find something very interesting and very IRONIC. Latez....

<table class="tborder" id="post1829602" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="padding: 0px;"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap"><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->ihatepotholes<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1829602", true); </script>

</td><td width="100%">
</td><td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Join Date: Sep 2007

</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- / user info --></td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" id="td_post_1829602"><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->some of the GTR fan boys should really stay out of 6speedonline really... a lot of people here don't really care about GTR, so no need to show em up. i like porsche, i also like GTR, but its getting kinda annoying that this car gets brought up in every thread. keep it in nagtroc... or ask admin to make a GTR section under other cars.</td></tr></tbody></table>
GotBoost, you know I like ya, but come on now.

This forum is for everyone, and anyone. They don't have to have a certain time of car to be able to post. Heck, I might have Porsches and BMW's in my garage, but I don't even have a freakin' license .

But I do agree on the whole, 'acting like you own em' .

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by K-TOWN HUSTLER
lol.

I been actin a fool for years and years on the streets and I've been to the track, but honestly. just my personal ignorant opinion to you track only drivers.... taking that **** to the track is kinda gay, if thats your only resort. if the car has registration and a license plate and you drive it regularly on the streets, it should whoop that *** period. no excuses.

I understand the driver makes a big difference, but all this it's better on the track **** is lame; i.e. if we were to box and I said hold up, you beat me down in the streets, let's put on the gloves and fight in the ring! get serious. I'm about safety when you're goin over 120mph, but cmon man, I've been racing motorcycles since I was a teenager and doin the same with cars for a long time, the track is just as dangerous when you're racing period. when do you get a chance to be on a track with just a few cars?

If I'm gonna pay $90 to $100k for a jp car, then I want it to whip some *** everywhere I go. 3.1 seconds is dumb fast. I'm not a genius, but the way that z06 was owning the GTR, whats the z06's 0-60? 2.8 seconds?

I'll admit it, if I can buy a fully loaded premium GTR for $80k, then i'll cop one asap, but I know it'll drop back to msrp by Jan or maybe sooner.

I'd get it just to have fun and let it be my clown car, because even though it's a great performer, it's getting zero respect compared to a TT.

What did you race?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by K-TOWN HUSTLER
lol.

AMEN.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jamie furman
Well I don't believe everything I read in magazines as gospel, but anything is possible I guess? But when an owner of both cars actually races them against one another and tells you that one owns the other I have to believe him, whats would that persons incentive be to lie?
I agree with the sentiment that an owner of both is a good source to determine which car is better, but there is one small flaw in determining which car is truly faster.
An owner probably lacks the skill to drive both machines 10/10 in relation to each cars ability. Whereas the Stig is a professional driver that continually goes out lap after lap until the car is basically being driven 10/10 by the driver and 10/10 in terms of capability of the machine.
So when the Stig runs these times they are about as consistent and comparable as any test could be IMO. Which is why I think everyone was waiting until Top Gear ran a test as they truly have so much funding that they are all but untouched by the industry in terms of bias and they have a top professional driver to do their yardstick work.

The owner's opinions are much more relevant when you are comparing the 2 in livability, ease of use, fun factor, and all the things that Top Gear tends to exaggerate and need to be taken with a grain of salt. Track times/speed should be their (Top Gear's) expertise.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 07-24-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
MKS
MKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of lightMKS is a glorious beacon of light
the GTR is as fast as a stock bmw m5 in a stright line! i was shocked too cuz we all heard those stories and there is noway a stock GTR would beat a stock 997TT.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
Gtr

Listen guys, I am a humble 996 C2 owner...modest mods including fabspeed headers, mufflers, K&N intake (soon to switch to sealed-box unit), and PSS9 system. There is a certain respect that comes along with driving a Porsche, and there will always be cars out there that can take you, me, etc...gotta keep the status quo, and respect machines like the GTR back.

just my humble opinion. (P.S. - I LOVE the look of the 997s, especially the turbos)

Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gtr
Due to funding and the high prices of the 997 GT3, I think i'm ordering a GT-R this week or maybe buying a M3 with DCT. Haven't 100% decided but I really wanted to check out the GT-R and compare it with my old X50 Turbo.

Driving one for some time is the only way for me to decide if the GT-R is a better sports car than my old Porsche.
Other than for a grocery getter, I bet you'll be hard pressed to take the GT-R
over your S2000.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lamvince
i heard the gtr will activate itself into sport mode when the gps detects it is on a track. forgot where i heard that from. could that cause it?
From Top Gear

Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
K-TOWN HUSTLER is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
What did you race?
in the old school days by dodger stadium.... mazda RX-3's and toyota starlets(yes I said starlet lol) these cars were doin believe it or not 12 second 1/4miles. but I've always been a fool with racing. I get to acting a donkey and have fun with it.... I've been to track days before with my old m3 and remember my first bob bondurant racing school classes, etc. I have tried to race everything in every car I've had.

most recently, I dragged alot with my hayabusa and my gsx-r's which both did/do over 210mph.
I was doin low 9's at LACR....

I've had damn near everything from bmw's to porsches to rari's to american muscle, jap power, etc etc.
there is a lotta talk and not a lotta new back up talk on this GTR. I just wanna know whats good with this new GTR?
can it take a 997TT out? straight up? roll ons? around the turns? if so, then thats impressive.

I'm just tired of all the track talk. what can this ***** do on the city streets at night time when it's just you and the other guy and some stop lights? or in the canyons on a weekday? gimme a damn lotus elise or a trex and i'll whoop on dudes all day in the twisties.

Last edited by K-TOWN HUSTLER; 07-24-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
GotBoost, you know I like ya, but come on now.

This forum is for everyone, and anyone. They don't have to have a certain time of car to be able to post. Heck, I might have Porsches and BMW's in my garage, but I don't even have a freakin' license .

But I do agree on the whole, 'acting like you own em' .

I hear ya. I could of put it differently, but I had to throw in that jab beacuse it was Mr. Potholes. I wouldn't have gone there if it was anyone else. You get my point though....

If you never drove it or owned it, don't talk like you know everything about it. That's my $.02. Reading his and Tool's posts, you would think that they engineered the frickin GTR themselves.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I agree with the sentiment that an owner of both is a good source to determine which car is better, but there is one small flaw in determining which car is truly faster.
An owner probably lacks the skill to drive both machines 10/10 in relation to each cars ability. Whereas the Stig is a professional driver that continually goes out lap after lap until the car is basically being driven 10/10 by the driver and 10/10 in terms of capability of the machine.
So when the Stig runs these times they are about as consistent and comparable as any test could be IMO. Which is why I think everyone was waiting until Top Gear ran a test as they truly have so much funding that they are all but untouched by the industry in terms of bias and they have a top professional driver to do their yardstick work.

The owner's opinions are much more relevant when you are comparing the 2 in livability, ease of use, fun factor, and all the things that Top Gear tends to exaggerate and need to be taken with a grain of salt. Track times/speed should be their (Top Gear's) expertise.
I have to disagree, because magazines frequently favor a particular car especially if its in there best interest to do so (money). Not only that many times a ringer is brought out and runs much better times than the street cars the public is buying are actually running when they get to the track. And as far as your theory about the driver not being to get the most out of the car, if that is true he is leaving the same amount of performance on the table for both cars. If anything its got to be much easier to drive the automatic in the Nissan than the clutch and stick in the Z06. I am sure the Nissan is a great car but probably not nearly as great as the most magazines are claiming now.

Last edited by jamie furman; 07-24-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
I hear ya. I could of put it differently, but I had to throw in that jab beacuse it was Mr. Potholes. I wouldn't have gone there if it was anyone else. You get my point though....

If you never drove it or owned it, don't talk like you know everything about it. That's my $.02. Reading his and Tool's posts, you would think that they engineered the frickin GTR themselves.
if you had shown some respect we would've a real nice conversation... you assumed i didn't drive these highend sports cars. i had enough seat time in a modded 996tt and a 360 to know what highend sports feels like, might not be experienced as you, but its not like i've never touched one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.