997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does anybody prefer the 997 Turbo for tracking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Mexico

Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Your car looks tight Raiyu.
Thanks, appreciate it, I think the drop and the wheels really complete the car, doesn't even need anything else.

Originally Posted by docdan
A modded 997 Turbo Coupe sounds like it might be a good idea....do you track your modded turbo?
Yup. So I'll give you a break down of what I feel about the car:

Positives:
Daily Driver: Aside from track its my DD, I drive it to the track, empty it out, track it, and drive it home. That's something you can't do with a track car, and it makes a 300 mile commute to a racetrack something to look forward to instead of dread.

Power: Tons of power. More than I can safely manage (for now ) and an easy platform for getting more if you need it. I have yet to have a car pull on me on any straight.

Suspension: Stock it leans, but a small investment and the car is transformed. After coilovers (Sways being installed this week or next) with cup tires the car is on par with a GT3 imo. I havent had a chance to drive one, but I've had plenty of encounters on the track and its completely a driver's race in the twisties, but then in the straights, obviously the TT pulls. And it still retains most of its daily driveability, although its a lot less harsh if your roads are well paved, in NYC and Brooklyn, ours arent, but the car feels so planted and amazing that I dont mind driving slower and watching for potholes. Coilovers are a must and should be your first mod.

Turbos: Now at first I thought this would be an issue with the non-linear power delivery, but as I've become more aggressive on the track I really havent noticed the minor turbo lag to be an issue. You will subconciously adapt to it, and with the VTGs and how often you end up flooring it, the boost spools up pretty fast. So I think this is a positive because you get a ton of power, so you arent complaining how those Z06s are speeding away from you on the straights and you are on their butt in the turns and they wont let you pass. The turbo will stay on their butt the entire way and half the time you'll end up lifting.

Negatives:
Seats: I dont have bucket seats and I need more thigh support because I end up using my knees to brace. If you could get the GT2 or GT3 seats I would definitely go for it.

Weight: the GT3 and GT3RS aren't lightweight in their own right at well over 3,000lbs, so you cant really throw any of them (GT3 or TT) around. It holds the line well, but weight transfer will limit you on some tracks and specific turns where lighter cars will attack the corners and pivot/slide around them, though depending on skill you may venture to try it, I'm certainly not there.

Price: Although no one wants to crash, its a fact that the race track is dangerous, if you drive with DSC on you limit your chances, but none the less, I dont drive the car near the limit, nor do I push it as much as I would if I had a dedicated track car that I had already written off the day I bought it.

Overview: In the end, this is how I stack up the cars. If you are 100% satisfied with the GT3 or GT3RS out of the box and plan to do NO mods, then this is definitely your car. If you feel that they are lacking in any way, power, suspension, whatever, then you might as well go with the TT. It gives you a better platform for mods. But on the bright side, rest assured that if you end up in any one of those cars, GT3, GT3RS, or slightly modded-TT, it will make a great track car and a pretty liveable DD. So you really can't go wrong.

Personally, if I had to do it over again I would go with the GT3RS as my first choice, because of the killer looks, GT3 as my second choice, and then the TT. But thats also because I personally feel that 400hp is plenty for me on the track. But honestly, the cars are so close that you should just go with whatever you find the most attractive.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
I have run away from quite a few 7GT3's and RS's on the track in my turbo. It is easier to drive at 9/10's on the track and it makes a great street car.

I did the following mods and they made a big difference

PSS10
H&R Bars
GIAC
Fabspeed exhaust
Aggressive alignment
18" CCW wheels
Toyo RA-1's

It is the best choice for a street/track car.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by grussell
I have run away from quite a few 7GT3's and RS's on the track in my turbo. It is easier to drive at 9/10's on the track and it makes a great street car.

I did the following mods and they made a big difference

PSS10
H&R Bars
GIAC
Fabspeed exhaust
Aggressive alignment
18" CCW wheels
Toyo RA-1's

It is the best choice for a street/track car.
Coming from someone who has built perhaps the sickest 997 pseudo-Cup car, that statement has alot of weight. I'm glad you have found it to your liking

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raiyu
Thanks, appreciate it, I think the drop and the wheels really complete the car, doesn't even need anything else.

Yup. So I'll give you a break down of what I feel about the car:

Positives:
Daily Driver: Aside from track its my DD, I drive it to the track, empty it out, track it, and drive it home. That's something you can't do with a track car, and it makes a 300 mile commute to a racetrack something to look forward to instead of dread.

Power: Tons of power. More than I can safely manage (for now ) and an easy platform for getting more if you need it. I have yet to have a car pull on me on any straight.

Suspension: Stock it leans, but a small investment and the car is transformed. After coilovers (Sways being installed this week or next) with cup tires the car is on par with a GT3 imo. I havent had a chance to drive one, but I've had plenty of encounters on the track and its completely a driver's race in the twisties, but then in the straights, obviously the TT pulls. And it still retains most of its daily driveability, although its a lot less harsh if your roads are well paved, in NYC and Brooklyn, ours arent, but the car feels so planted and amazing that I dont mind driving slower and watching for potholes. Coilovers are a must and should be your first mod.

Turbos: Now at first I thought this would be an issue with the non-linear power delivery, but as I've become more aggressive on the track I really havent noticed the minor turbo lag to be an issue. You will subconciously adapt to it, and with the VTGs and how often you end up flooring it, the boost spools up pretty fast. So I think this is a positive because you get a ton of power, so you arent complaining how those Z06s are speeding away from you on the straights and you are on their butt in the turns and they wont let you pass. The turbo will stay on their butt the entire way and half the time you'll end up lifting.

Negatives:
Seats: I dont have bucket seats and I need more thigh support because I end up using my knees to brace. If you could get the GT2 or GT3 seats I would definitely go for it.

Weight: the GT3 and GT3RS aren't lightweight in their own right at well over 3,000lbs, so you cant really throw any of them (GT3 or TT) around. It holds the line well, but weight transfer will limit you on some tracks and specific turns where lighter cars will attack the corners and pivot/slide around them, though depending on skill you may venture to try it, I'm certainly not there.

Price: Although no one wants to crash, its a fact that the race track is dangerous, if you drive with DSC on you limit your chances, but none the less, I dont drive the car near the limit, nor do I push it as much as I would if I had a dedicated track car that I had already written off the day I bought it.

Overview: In the end, this is how I stack up the cars. If you are 100% satisfied with the GT3 or GT3RS out of the box and plan to do NO mods, then this is definitely your car. If you feel that they are lacking in any way, power, suspension, whatever, then you might as well go with the TT. It gives you a better platform for mods. But on the bright side, rest assured that if you end up in any one of those cars, GT3, GT3RS, or slightly modded-TT, it will make a great track car and a pretty liveable DD. So you really can't go wrong.

Personally, if I had to do it over again I would go with the GT3RS as my first choice, because of the killer looks, GT3 as my second choice, and then the TT. But thats also because I personally feel that 400hp is plenty for me on the track. But honestly, the cars are so close that you should just go with whatever you find the most attractive.

Great review. You had me sold on the modded 997 Turbo up until the last paragraph where you did the fosbury flop and ended up endorsing the GT3RS! What happened to the rogering of the Z06's down the straights???

j/k....it just shows what a tough choice this can be.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by docdan
Great review. You had me sold on the modded 997 Turbo up until the last paragraph where you did the fosbury flop and ended up endorsing the GT3RS! What happened to the rogering of the Z06's down the straights???

j/k....it just shows what a tough choice this can be.
I would personally choose the GT3RS because the TT's 480hp is too much for me for now. I would prefer RWD because thats what I've driven all my life, and I love the look of the RS more than the TT. Plus with the RS I could keep it completely stock, which is something I said to myself when I got the TT, see how long that lasted.

But on the bright side, like I said, either car you end up with you will enjoy immensely. So yeah I would take a GT3RS instead, but Im not at all even the slightest bit unhappy with my TT on the track.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Raiyu had a very good summary, it's all a compromise. A modded TT is a great DD and an animal on the track. Doing gmg springs on mine soon. I could never not mod one of these cars, that's boring!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree 100% with grussell. Although grussell appears to have lots of track experience (and I don't), my recent experience at Pocono confirms that a stock TT driven very hard will beat a similarly driven stock GT3 (and on the straights the TT will simply walk away from the GT3). The GT3s certainly sounded fast and looked really cool wailing away while the drivers were rowing through the gearboxes. But do you want to be really fast at the track or simply look like your going really fast ? Obviously the GT3 is unequivocally fast on the track, but the TT, at least in my observations, is faster. To make matters worse for you "purists" my TT is a tip ! I'm hoping some new rubber and suspension mods will further enhance the TT's advantage on the infield area (where the GT3 has a distinct advantage).

I really see the TT as the ultimate track car as the engine can be easily tuned to 700-750 hp. I don't think you need to spend $50K to mod the TT into a track beast, but $50K can not make a GT3 into a 700hp car (or a 2400 lb. 590hp RSR for that matter). Yeah it may cost $200K for a heavily modded TT (ie. proper rubber, suspension system, sway bars, big engine tuning pkg., etc.), but it really is the ultimate daily driver/track weapon, its still classy enough for client meetings/nice dinners and it is not so ostentatious that your blurting out to the world "here I am/I've arrived". Bottom line - whether you drive your TT every day like me, or not, I would opt for the TT. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Nothing like the feeling of the GT3 at the track. I love my turbo, but the GT3 was so much more involving.

My instructor drove my GT3 and walked all over the turbos, but he was a great driver. Definitely need higher skills to drive the GT3 to the limit.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Nij
Nij is infamous around these parts
I am sure you checked out the GT3/GT2/GT forum also...many mods available/discussed for the GT3/RS to make a track day more fun.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
I've got 5 track days on my 997TT with 6 more coming in the next few months. I frankly didn't love it "out of the box" but went with a GMG stage 2 suspension setup (springs, sways, dog bones, etc) and effectively GT3RS alignment and the car is transformed. I've just picked up some BBS RS-GTs with Pilot Cups and look forward to trying that. The car is an absolute blast on the track. Tons of grip, killer in the wet (nothing stays with it), lots more power than I can use, etc. In the spirit of transparency I'm sort of a 7/10ths track driver. Done about 15-17 DEs and am in the advanced group but I don't need to be the fastest guy out there. The car can do much more than I ask of it!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
A,
Did you do the GMG bushings as well?
About to pull da trigger!

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 07-24-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
A,
Did you do the GMG bushings as well?
About to pull da trigger!
Yes Chris I did. I'm around this weekend btw if you want to try the car out.

ab