997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pulling The Trigger On A New Racing Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Pulling The Trigger On A New Racing Clutch

Decided to pull the trigger on a Sachs Stage II racing clutch with light weight flywheel. Getting it done this week at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach. I will post impressions and a review once the work is done and I pick it up.

I guess I have the mod bug pretty bad now. Does anyone have this clutch system? Is the pedal really stiff? They said it would take some getting used to. Does the engine spool up faster? My research showed that this is probably the best system out there. I am excited about it.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Didn't you take some sort of blood oath against modding??

Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Barrister
Decided to pull the trigger on a Sachs Stage II racing clutch with light weight flywheel. Getting it done this week at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach. I will post impressions and a review once the work is done and I pick it up.

I guess I have the mod bug pretty bad now. Does anyone have this clutch system? Is the pedal really stiff? They said it would take some getting used to. Does the engine spool up faster? My research showed that this is probably the best system out there. I am excited about it.

That is the same kit that we run in our own car. Pedal feel is stock. Only difference you will notice is some gear chatter at idle from the LWFW.

Highly recommend this kit.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
DLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister

NO POWER mods until we run!!

Congrats on getting the new clutch!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DLSJ5
NO POWER mods until we run!!

Congrats on getting the new clutch!
Perfect!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Were you having a slippage issue?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Actually, I was. The clutch would slip slightly in 5th and 6th gears. I think I had too much torque for the stock clutch. It was just a slight hesitation followed by the engine running up and then catching again. It didn't happen every time but it was enough to worry me. So I just got the new clutch. I couldn't even get it to replicate the problem for the guys at BBI. But it was definitely happening. I don't think the clutch is burned or bad. It just can't handle the new hp and tq from the mods. And to think I am only stage II! Whatever the issue, I am excited about the new parts.

Drew, add slipping clutch to my list of excuses as to why I didn't pull harder on the LP640!

Last edited by Barrister; 07-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
That setup is one of the best and feels close to stock as one could want. Should not slip under your feet. It will need to get broken in before you hit it hard. Give it 300 miles. If you hit boost before the 300 miles, only in 4<SUP>th</SUP> or 5<SUP>th</SUP> and when the clutch is sufficiently hot. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O> </O>
Attached is the clutch I purchased. Carbonetics Triple Disk. Way overkill but I got a good deal on it. 11lb LWFW is the bomb! <O></O>
<O></O>

Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
That setup is one of the best and feels close to stock as one could want. Should not slip under your feet. It will need to get broken in before you hit it hard. Give it 300 miles. If you hit boost before the 300 miles, only in 4<SUP>th</SUP> or 5<SUP>th</SUP> and when the clutch is sufficiently hot. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O> </O>
Attached is the clutch I purchased. Carbonetics Triple Disk. Way overkill but I got a good deal on it. 11lb LWFW is the bomb! <O></O>
<O></O>
I have seen it in action - as you sped by me. It's sweet.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I want to get AWE setup,I use the TT for street and track 1 day every mounth so I dont want to get a racing clutch but I want to have a better pedal feel the OEM TT is to soft I dont want a rock but something harder.
Also the LWFW makes a big difference in TT,s ? I dont want the iddle sound typical of LWFW.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
There is no distinguishable difference in pedal effort or feel between the stock clutch and the stage II Sachs. IIRC the clutch disks are the same only the pressure plate is upgraded with heavier springs

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
My triple is not hard to depress (no different from the stock clutch). It has an on/off feel, top of pedal engaement, and is noisy.