997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Snow Tires with winter wheels or stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
Snow Tires with winter wheels or stock wheels?

I need to get snow tires for my DD TT. I don't know if it is worth the expense of getting after market 18" wheels and tires from Tire Rack (the only quality brand they offer is BBS) that will cost more than $5,000 with TPMS or just get 19" Pirelli 240 Sottozero tires for the stock wheels. Any thoughts?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Pick up a set of used TT wheels. They can be had for about $1500.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:51 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
How are they in the snow...realistically? I am trying to sell my wife on the idea of a 996tt dd.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Used the stockers for winter, and get a set of aftermarkets for the warmer weather.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PHIL2
How are they in the snow...realistically? I am trying to sell my wife on the idea of a 996tt dd.
I drove mine in the snow in Pittsburgh (hills everywhere) with summer tires and the car was manageable. I can only imagine how it would be with some proper tires.

Im going to put either A/S or winter tires on my stock rims and use them after track season is over.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by il nino
I need to get snow tires for my DD TT. I don't know if it is worth the expense of getting after market 18" wheels and tires from Tire Rack (the only quality brand they offer is BBS) that will cost more than $5,000 with TPMS or just get 19" Pirelli 240 Sottozero tires for the stock wheels. Any thoughts?
Do you have PCCBs? Most 18in wheels won't clear the brakes...

Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
They are great in the snow, no issues at all. I used some c4s rims last yr, this yr I'm going with my stock rims, saving my gp7s for warm weather.
There is nothing wrong with the replica rims Tr sells for snow tires. Don't waste your money on bbs wheels for snow tires. The smartest thing to do would be to order the whole package from TR with replica wheels ~2200 at your door.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
BradPete is infamous around these parts
First of all, if You really drive in snow like we do here in Finland, go for Conti WinterContact TS810 Sport, they are really great & Porsche recommended!! I have them in my TT, I am really happy with them in the snow, also they are great when the roads are dry!

I have them in 19'', You can survive with OEM set, maybe use Your money better & buy next summer new set for the summer tyres??

Old 08-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
I have the Pirelli Sottozero on my stocks but have not had a chance to use them in the snow yet. From what I've heard and read, the Pirelli's perform pretty well in the snow and cold pavement. This method with the stockers will save me a ton of time and some money each winter.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
We sell many high quality wheels for the cars other than BBS. Most wheels we sell are low pressure cast and heat treated. Not forged, but not $500 each, either. For snow use they work fine and hold up to the elements much better, too. Some of them take the Porsche crest cap as well, too.

I can do winter sets wheels, tires, sensors, mounted, balanced and delivered ready to roll for less than $2500. Call or PM for assistance.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
^Listen to the man!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
What tire does Porsche recommend and I would think that if I am going to get separate winter wheels they should be 18s.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
what wheels are you running for the summer? Aftermarket or your stock 19s. I didn't catch that.

If you are running OEM in the summer, I would get a set of 18's and winter tires to match, maybe the C4s wheels as TT surgeon said. But if you are running Aftermarket for summer, then I would do what dynamic motoring said.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Go aftermarket summer wheels, use stockers or c4s rims with N rated 19 snow tires (or 18s if you wish). The TR combo deal is very attractive, it will cost you as much or more on your own, ask me how I know!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Is there any difference in snow performance with 19s vs 18s? I actually like the stock wheels for summer and didn't intend to change to after market wheels but if 19s are as good as 18s in the snow then I might actually think of changing my summer wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires with winter wheels or stock wheels?