997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HRE inner lip problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:20 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
HRE inner lip problem

OK this is the situation and I want your opinion.

I have a set of HRE 20" P43 front 8.5" rear 12" wheels with front 245/30/20 rear 315/25/20 Michelin CUP tires and when mounted they make this "Wheel Chair" look like if the tires where to narrow for the wheels specially in the front.

I have the idea of removing 4mm rear and 5mm front material from the inner part of the outside lip of the wheel to allow the rubber to expand more inside the wheels and reduce or eliminate the wheel chair effect.

I cant buy the next tire size since the Michelin 20" Cup tires are only made in the sizes I already have.

What do you think it is really stupid,crazy or possible to do this?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 AM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Very possibly life shortening.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Darwin Award material right there, dont mess with it unless HRE give some sort of all clear.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Yes I wount do anything I hope Michelin makes 325 CUps in the future.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
HREs have a bad track reputation as it is(do a search), I wouldn't do anything to weaken them at all.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
TT - i was waiting for you to say that They had a couple of hiccups but then again they never have certified their wheels either. Yet we continue to give them tons of business. I have had 5 sets and unless I can get a killer deal on them I won't buy them again.

There should be someone(sponsor) who is going to introduce a GB on a wheel that I hope that will come to market for the 997TT. One Piece, Lightweight, Forged(8k) and an all too familair look - but still classic.

I will wait for the Sponsor to say something first.

I am up for a set in 19's.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
hdm
Banned
hdm is infamous around these partshdm is infamous around these parts
Don't even play around like that. Not only it will weaken the wheel but you will not achieve anything better by doing that. Although I have notice that same thing on all the HRE one piece "monoblocks" I don't think it affects the overall appearance of the wheels I would keep it just like that, they look perfect. They made it like that for a reason.

C@HDM

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
luiscarlos I can not understand your thinking. What exactly are you referring to , "wheelchair look" ?
All GT3/RS's come with 305/30/19's on a 19" x 12" wheels and they look great. Now why would a 315 not sit right in the 12" wide rim?

Regarding other comments about HRE's, well I certainly disagree to the core. I have purchase 14 sets of HRE's over 12 years and NEVER a problem. The quality of the product has never waivered plus the tech support and service are second to none.
HRE has built for me wheels with specific needs as one-offs items.
My E60 M5 with 15" rear rotors and big Brembo calipers needed 18" wheels to run Mickey Thompson drag radials for the 1/4 mile. They built C20's (18 x 11") for me that cleared the brakes.
HRE has never dropped the ball on me.

Cheers,

Ranger

Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Can you take a close up photo to show us what it looks like?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
HREs have a bad track reputation as it is(do a search), I wouldn't do anything to weaken them at all.
I thought it all proved to be a "myth"

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I don't think so, I remember metropca not allowing hre's on the track at one point, going back a couple of years.
Yes alpine997tt I've been bitting my lip. Check out champion or champion/pes gp7 wheels, all light and strong, no stories.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Yeah bite your lip.
PES wheel fugly. The Champion is a good product, good Japanese forging.
I know the wheels very well and they have a great wheel design and selection. The Champion wheels are no less expensive than HRE and you do not get all the design choices as HRE.
Regarding customer service just go ahead and push it and see what happens.
Ask the Japanese to build you something exclusive? Go ahead and hold your breath.
None of these companies can hold a candle to HRE customer service.
Believe it or not, frankly I do not give a crap.

Ranger

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Why are you so defensive ranger?
I've never heard of any issue with champion wheels, the reverse is not true with hre, sorry.
The japanese also make the bbs rims too. Aside from the p40s I find most of the hre fugly too, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
luiscarlos I can not understand your thinking. What exactly are you referring to , "wheelchair look" ?
All GT3/RS's come with 305/30/19's on a 19" x 12" wheels and they look great. Now why would a 315 not sit right in the 12" wide rim?

Regarding other comments about HRE's, well I certainly disagree to the core. I have purchase 14 sets of HRE's over 12 years and NEVER a problem. The quality of the product has never waivered plus the tech support and service are second to none.
HRE has built for me wheels with specific needs as one-offs items.
My E60 M5 with 15" rear rotors and big Brembo calipers needed 18" wheels to run Mickey Thompson drag radials for the 1/4 mile. They built C20's (18 x 11") for me that cleared the brakes.
HRE has never dropped the ball on me.

Cheers,

Ranger
GT3 R cant believe you don't know the concept of wheel chair after all the wheels you had.
It means the tire looks stretch in the wheel like if the inner lips that hold the tire where to wide and leave some metal exposed in all the circumference.

The weird thing is that yes OEM GT3 wheels are 12" and look very good with 305 Michelin Cup tires and HRE P43 with 315 Cup tires look narrow.

Of course I have to admit that it was crazy to even think about machining the inner lip.

I hope HRE will take care of this situation for me.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I had several Champion wheels and they are great ,8000T forged super light, strong and great design the same can be said of HRE, PES and RAC wheels.

If the idea is to hard track the car I will use HRE Comp wheels for moderate track use any HRE and of course Champion wheel will work very nice.

I think HRE will find a solution to my wheel problem since they are a hi end wheel company.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE inner lip problem