997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

white residue on exhaust - throwing CEL error ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
BTW Chris, I got another CEL yesterday - this is my 3rd set of Cats! I'm starting to lose my patience.
If you were at the dealer recently that could explain it, there is a TSB out there to reflash some 07 and 08 TT cars due to idling problems. I was there Monday, they wanted to do mine, but I told them not to bother it's fine. If they reflashed your ECU they may have done so to the new 08 specs, which tend to be a little more sensitive to the cats. A guy on RL had the same issue.
I have FS, no issues so far, they use the HJS cats.
I'd call whoever you bought the system from and see what they can do.
c

Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
skyytek is infamous around these parts
Okay. Just had the dealer check my car. These are the error codes:

2099 and 2097 - something to do with o2 sensors detecting a rich mixture - one is for bank1 and the other is for bank2.

So - because my car is not having bad gas mileage, no unpleasent odor or loss of power - they are of the belief that I am lucky and all seems fine (but of course they didnt take things apart just yet).

They simply reset the hard codes displayed and I have now driven 100 miles or so since then and no CEL.

What is wierd about all of this - is that I put the leaded fuel in (mixed with unleaded about 2 leaded to 1 unleaded ratio) and nothing happened. It was only about 2 tanks later on normal gas that these codes came up.

I have a horrible feeling I will get the CEL again. But not sure. If I do, the first thing they are going to do is replace the o2 sensors and see if that fixes it. If not, then it is a new exhaust.

I will report back when I am up to about 500 or so miles. But thanks again for all your input - my fingers are constantly crossed now :-)

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Did you tell them what you did or just compalin about the lights?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Did you tell them what you did or just compalin about the lights?
they could tell immediately (my exhausts looks as though they have run hot at some point). I just didnt admit or deny it. I know them pretty well prior to buying cars there. they may give me a break if things take a bad turn - at least I am hoping. I have bought 3 cars recently from that dealership.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by skyytek
---I just didnt admit or deny it. ---
You did well.

That was the very first thing we were taught the very first day of law school!

Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
VSaha is infamous around these parts
they could tell immediately (my exhausts looks as though they have run hot at some point). I just didnt admit or deny it. I know them pretty well prior to buying cars there. they may give me a break if things take a bad turn - at least I am hoping. I have bought 3 cars recently from that dealership.
Holy crap Ray - good luck mate!!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If you were at the dealer recently that could explain it, there is a TSB out there to reflash some 07 and 08 TT cars due to idling problems. I was there Monday, they wanted to do mine, but I told them not to bother it's fine. If they reflashed your ECU they may have done so to the new 08 specs, which tend to be a little more sensitive to the cats. A guy on RL had the same issue.
I have FS, no issues so far, they use the HJS cats.
I'd call whoever you bought the system from and see what they can do.
c
I was at the dealer recently for an inspection - I don't think they did anything to the ECU because I was in and out real fast. I will call and ask though. MIne also has the HJS cats. The first two sets were their non-HJS.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Okay. Just had the dealer check my car. These are the error codes:

2099 and 2097 - something to do with o2 sensors detecting a rich mixture - one is for bank1 and the other is for bank2.

So - because my car is not having bad gas mileage, no unpleasent odor or loss of power - they are of the belief that I am lucky and all seems fine (but of course they didnt take things apart just yet).

They simply reset the hard codes displayed and I have now driven 100 miles or so since then and no CEL.

What is wierd about all of this - is that I put the leaded fuel in (mixed with unleaded about 2 leaded to 1 unleaded ratio) and nothing happened. It was only about 2 tanks later on normal gas that these codes came up.

I have a horrible feeling I will get the CEL again. But not sure. If I do, the first thing they are going to do is replace the o2 sensors and see if that fixes it. If not, then it is a new exhaust.

I will report back when I am up to about 500 or so miles. But thanks again for all your input - my fingers are constantly crossed now :-)
these were the same codes that I had this week: "P2099 and P2097 - Bank 1 and 2 - Lambda correction behind catalyst".

Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
these were the same codes that I had this week: "P2099 and P2097 - Bank 1 and 2 - Lambda correction behind catalyst".
what was/is causing yours ?. cat failure? or sensor failure ? - what caused this ? a modded exhaust ?. it wasnt clear on your post - at least to me.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by VSaha
Holy crap Ray - good luck mate!!
yer - very expensive 6 gallons of gas. or at least could be...

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's not the code for a bad cat, I'll look up the correct one. That might just be a sensor. I bet they reset your ECU, only takes a second once they plug into the OBDII port.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 PM
300 miles. no cel. fingers still crossed !

Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM
That's good news which means you may have only coated the O2 sensors which then read erroneously!

Good going!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
VSaha is infamous around these parts
Sounds like it may not be as serious as you thought...fingers crossed.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM
500 miles and blasted it too for the last 100 with some spirited drives and a PCA event. fingers definitely still crossed. no CEL.

Last edited by skyytek; 08-26-2008 at 07:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: white residue on exhaust - throwing CEL error ?