997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Collective Wisdom on Clear Bras?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 PM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
got it on my blue car.......love it and barely visible.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Film

After nine month's my Venturesheild has yellowed , I did the Gt2 rockers with the 3m and I was told it wont yellow...

Iam going to do the side's next that taper into the inlet's next...

Gee-Bee

Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 AM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
I personally did not care which I did, I just simply told them to put on some clear bras and ship my car out. now its on a ship somewhere in the ocean, cuz i know when it gets off the ship, I will definitely need the clear bra and not care one bit about it yellowing. Anyone visit a country rural as mine should know how bad it is here...

Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I have one on my white GT2, covered the whole car (see avatar) it yellowed a little bit,but the car looks pretty cool.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I hate that I have to have it but it is a neccessary evil, esp in Houston. I have the 3m and it's fine, very installer dependent.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Just had it installed on my new Meteor Gray TT. New Orleans dealer brought in local 3M installer who did a beautiful job. A lot of roads here in Louisiana aren't top notch, so I was worried about the risk of flying crap every time I drive. On balance, it was the way to go for me and it's really not that conspicuous.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gcalo
I wish more women would wear them!
Agreed. I have the 3M on my meteor grey TT. I see the line occasionally, but I'm glad I got it. I had chips on my BMW and wished I had got one everytime I saw the chips.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
AmexBlackG5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shnapps
Just got my midnight blue TT. Would like to stick a clear bra on it, but wondering what everyone's experiece has been? What percentage of TT owners put one on? PROS and CONS? Is Ventureshield the way to go?

Many thanks.

Do you plan on putting the 3M on the whole car or just the front,hood fenders and mirrors?

Last edited by AmexBlackG5; 08-19-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Ajcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud ofAjcut7 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I have one on my white GT2, covered the whole car (see avatar) it yellowed a little bit,but the car looks pretty cool.
Too funny, I just got a used Cobalt Blue 997tt that came with clear bra on it. The lines are visable which I am not a fan of but on my old M6 I had no clear bra and the rock chips really bothered me. I think its a trade off that is worth making.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
hidalgo is infamous around these parts
It is all in the installer. It does prevent the chips but the line really bothers me. I think you could get a lot of chips repaired for what it costs also.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
My 3M installer says the ventureshield indeed has less visibility (meaning less orange peel look), but it yellows more easily and lacks the 'clear coat' finish of the other 3M product which means it can't be polished and buffed to address problems. I have a complete love/hate relationship with clear bras but won't drive any new car home until installing one. I'm just one of those guys who hates rock chips more than the look of the bra.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by M3 S3-R
Drive fast let the chips fly. No plastic on my car.

To each his own, but the end of the story is do you want to spent hundreds to thousands to repair the chips and dings or do you want to just peal off some plastic and redo? Also I don't think that people are all that understanding when they see dings and chips on a car they may want to buy

Obviously I have the plastic and I love it, line, potential yellowing and all. Mine is on silver grey metalic. I am fascinated by the above thinking in the quote

Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
rbc997t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by justatoy
I do not have a turbo but rather a black C2S(guess that is irrelevant) but on black,EVERY person who came to see my car commented/and asked how I got the scratch !
Not a scratch but the edge of the "shield".
I peeled it off personally.My car is just a sunny day cruiser so rock chips will not happen as much as maybe a daily driver but most people will not comment on chips(as they are sort of expected on a car).
If you can live the "line" it defiantely stops the chips !
Just my $.02
that is why i had my entire hood done!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
I don't have it on my black S4 and really wish I did. The front end looks horrible and only a repaint will rectify it. Needless to say, I have it on my 997TT and will never do without again. You can see the line, but it doesn't bother me one bit. If it annoys you, do the whole hood. I had 3M on my C2S and really hated the orange peel. I went with VentureShield on my current car and think it looks a LOT better.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by noah677
To each his own, but the end of the story is do you want to spent hundreds to thousands to repair the chips and dings or do you want to just peal off some plastic and redo? Also I don't think that people are all that understanding when they see dings and chips on a car they may want to buy

Obviously I have the plastic and I love it, line, potential yellowing and all. Mine is on silver grey metalic. I am fascinated by the above thinking in the quote
amen brother....I have had 3M on mine for 2.5 yrs on a Artic silver 996 and apsolutely no yellowing at all, even in Georgia Summer heat humidity. The line is not a big deal - a rock ding or many rock dings and a front end repair, rematch - and repaint is a BIG DEAL (good luck for a perfect match)
Seems to me to be a no brainer for a TT owner...after several years, just pull it off and have it redone....you TT owners spend so much more more money on other crap for your cars why not protect the frontend paint from the start...best 750 bucks I have ever spent....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Collective Wisdom on Clear Bras?????