997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Collective Wisdom on Clear Bras?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Remember if you want chips eradicated call my good friend and master chip eradicator, Luis Lopez, at www.lmcartouchup.com (408) 230-5440

He is the Bay area wizard and I'll attest to that.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM
shnapps is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AmexBlackG5
Do you plan on putting the 3M on the whole car or just the front,hood fenders and mirrors?
I would just put in on the front bumper, fenders, hood.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by shnapps
I would just put in on the front bumper, fenders, hood.
It's such a crap shoot. You think you have everything covered and then it hits somewhere else!

With such an incredible mobile touch-up paint person we have here in the Bay area I am tempted not to go with the film.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
2 years ago picked up my M3 on the way to the beach..nickel size rock from a flat bed put a gash in hood the first hour I got the car. It bums me out still to this day. I will be putting one on my p car when I get it. To each his own..in the end it's you that has to live with or without it. My friend has it his on his turbo, which he just sold..he said it did help the sell because there was not a chip on the car because of the clear bra..

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
memo is infamous around these parts
I have it on my tt, ventureshield installed by RAJA full hood and full fenders. Best thing you can do on a new car.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
father&sons is infamous around these parts
Ok guys, here is my Question is this the same thing they are putting on windshields?
here in LA they are installing for chips on glass, is this all the same material? is it optical grade? does it scratch when wipers are needed? any answers.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by father&sons
Ok guys, here is my Question is this the same thing they are putting on windshields?
Similar concept but not quite the same material.

The widshield material was developed for military helicopters. It's slightly heavier and pricey.

Not many are doing it, becasue the material and installation in some instances far exceed the cost of replacement glass!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
I’ve posted miles of type about clear bras on detail sites. Seems almost all the basics are covered if you read through this thread – except the one that causes quite a stir. “Most” of the installers don’t know anything more about the variety of brands, quality, orange-peel variations between brands, how improperly mixed adhesive can advance the yellowing … and … WHAT THEY’RE REALLY INSTALLING! I am aware the sleaze-ball installers will tell you they install the specific brand and type you want, but most will say they install what you’re asking about as they believe it’s all the same. In the North Jersey/NY Metro area, I visited with 8 shop owners/mgrs who looked me right in the eye and told me they installed VentureShield, and knew the correct adhesive/wet-down ratios. Yet when I checked their product it wasn’t VentureShield. While in the shop, the installers were using tap water mixed solution instead of distilled (mineral/contaminant free) water!
Three of the shops had the VentureShield paperwork, yet didn’t carry the product. When I questioned them, they said 3M had bought VentureShield (true) and the entire product line is exactly the same (not true). One of them wasn't using 3M either!
As stated by others, make sure you get an installer who’s authorized (call the manufacturer to see if the installer is approved) to install the product you choose. In my (humble) opinion there is no better Clear Bra than VentureShield. It’s got very low orange peel (the lowest), they do large sheets for full coverage on the hood with no seam/edge line. They’ve got very accurate templates for precise coverage, and they will suggest a dealer in/near your area. However, don’t just accept who the manufacturer says covers your area! There are two authorized VentureShield installers in my area, however, after seeing both their work … I wouldn’t let one of them near my car, even if they paid me to put it on!
I know I sound like I’m spamming … I swear that’s not the case. I’m just too **** for my own good and expect nothing less than what I call ‘perfect’. So here’s a little more about how I covered my first sled and how the new one will be done. The entire nose of the car, rockers (painted), and side mirrors is covered in “VentureShield”. However … there are areas of the car that take a beating from road-spit and I cover those in 3M’s thicker, tougher clear even though it has significant orange peel. Those areas are the lower rear edge of the wheel wells and the entire lower end of the rear valance.
I polished the car in 3 stages before the bra went on, only using ‘glaze’ as a finish coat … NOT WAX … (some waxes will advance yellowing over time when the soap-based adhesive is applied). Once the car has been Clear Bra’d, let it sit for a day or two. If you can, put it out in the sun for those days, this helps cure the adhesive. A few days later, wax the car and bra. Do not use terry-cloth on the bra to wash, dry or wax, only use (‘fluffy’) microfiber towels. The clear bra does show ‘spider-webs’ faster than clear-coat does. Try to stay away from automated car washes too.
I think Clear Bra’s are amazing technology, decide what you consider acceptable tolerances for orange peel and choose between 3M and VentureShield. As I said before, I’m not a dealer, installer or distributor … just a guy who knows waaaaay toooo much about the product and is willing to share that knowledge with a site that supported me during my troubled lemon and replacement. <O</O
Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
I have ventureshield, love it, but yes it's yellowing after about 1 year.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
If he's an "authorized installer", he should replace it for free. When you go to replace it, have them remove all the wax on the paint before replacing it, and make sure they use the correct mix (both solution and distilled water) on the adhesion wet-down.
I haven't seen any yellowing on a white metallic Infinity in over 2 years now.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Similar concept but not quite the same material.

The widshield material was developed for military helicopters. It's slightly heavier and pricey.

Not many are doing it, becasue the material and installation in some instances far exceed the cost of replacement glass!
I tried the windshield film right when my car came in. I was hoping to save my original windshield. It is called proline windshield film. You could hardly tell it was on the car, and it did protect my windshield on several occassions. Unfortunately I did take a rock and it went right thru the film and cracked my windshield anyway - just had it replaced. My installer offered to put on a new one and I elected not. I was somewhat unhappy with the slight flaws in the film that you can see thru the glass and also I live where there is alot of rain and my windshield wipers acted sticky over the film (you do put plexus on it, but it wears off quick in rainy weather with heavy wiper use).

Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM
That is a bummer indeed.

The military application is for helicopters and has about 6-8 layers. They get peeled off as they degrade. It has saved tens of thousands of $'s for the government.

However helicopters in the desert are one thing: cars are another and I don't think it makes sense as you found out.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:35 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Film Cleaning

To clean the film edger use Stoner's Xenit cleaner

It really works great...

It's citrus based and My Venturesheild dealer is said what to use...

Iam going 3M on the side skirts and headlights on tuesday

I need thicker material there....

Gee-Bee

Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 PM
car enthusiast is infamous around these parts
Okay guys im going to give ya’ll my .02 cents worth. I’m a clear bra installer so ill let you in on some of what I have found out over time. First what im going to tell ya’ll is 100 percent non bias and is just based on what I have found to work the best. I have installed/used most of the film out there on the market (VentureShield, Clearshield, Xpel ,Avery, 3M) and I have found that Clearshield is the hardiest and longest lasting film out there to date. Clearshield is my go to film when it comes to clear bra-ing white cars, this film is a must because it the most yellowing resestant of the bunch. 3M comes in at a close 2<SUP>nd</SUP>. Problem with 3m is it has a more orange peel look and also is a pain to remove if ever needed. VentureShield comes in in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> place. It is by far the smoothest looking film, but sometimes stains, and is very soft.(but still its a good film) The reason its so popular with the installers is because its real easy to install. The other two films take more practice and patience to install but in the end will net the best result over time.
<O</O
If ya’ll have any questions feel free to pick my brain.
Thanks

Last edited by car enthusiast; 08-23-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=GEE-BEE;2009250]To clean the film edger use Stoner's Xenit cleaner

It really works great...

It's citrus based and My Venturesheild dealer is said what to use...

BeeGee: Where do you get this? Do you just take a q-tip to clean your edges? What are you using for scuffs (I have VS on my door sills and occassionally get shoe scuffs).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Collective Wisdom on Clear Bras?????