997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

turbo forgivness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
What happened is that he is an inexperienced driver period. We cannot teach driving over the internet.

If he wanted more info like he said - well HELLO welcome to the world of internet forums and google. I am sure it is less costly and more informative than crashing a GT3 on the highway. Unless you are going to be a Crash Test Dummy when you grow up - I think having your parents invest in a few driving classes will pay off in aces for you.
Common, give guy a break about how he can’t drive. Dropping gear down or two in any 911 on a highway would rarely end up in a spin. He says it happened on a highway so, I presume he was pointing relatively straight and there was no hairpin in sight. These cars are very forgivable unless on the limit whilst cornering, especially the turbo. To answer his question yes turbos are more forgiving being 4 wheel drive, with initial under steer characteristic built into the equation and with the help of PMS to boot. In a straight line dropping two cogs would never equal a spin, it would probably result in a type 2 over rev limiter situation and possibly engine damage depending how high engine was rev-wise in the first place. The reason I asked what happened was to find out if his story has some merit to it or is it actual a total BS.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
ai91 is infamous around these parts
What happened is that he is an inexperienced driver period. We cannot teach driving over the internet.

If he wanted more info like he said - well HELLO welcome to the world of internet forums and google. I am sure it is less costly and more informative than crashing a GT3 on the highway. Unless you are going to be a Crash Test Dummy when you grow up - I think having your parents invest in a few driving classes will pay off in aces for you.
thats why i joined this forum so i could hear what people who have these cars have to say about them . im taking a 2 day skip barber stick class then a 2 day high performance driving class

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
to get this post back on track... you can still get the backend out of a Turbo if you try to re-write physics. Take more lessons, find an old civic on ebay, destroy it's clutch, then buy your next car.

anyone looking to rent "exotics". free plug below... I've done the dream car tour. Def worth every penny.
http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/?gcli...FQpxHgodk2QwQQ

Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Terminator
Common, give guy a break about how he can’t drive. Dropping gear down or two in any 911 on a highway would rarely end up in a spin. He says it happened on a highway so, I presume he was pointing relatively straight and there was no hairpin in sight. These cars are very forgivable unless on the limit whilst cornering, especially the turbo. To answer his question yes turbos are more forgiving being 4 wheel drive, with initial under steer characteristic built into the equation and with the help of PMS to boot. In a straight line dropping two cogs would never equal a spin, it would probably result in a type 2 over rev limiter situation and possibly engine damage depending how high engine was rev-wise in the first place. The reason I asked what happened was to find out if his story has some merit to it or is it actual a total BS.
the stories not bs. it wasnt a hairpin it was a long turn, not to sharp. i was doing around 70 in 5th and tryed downshifting to 4th and all i remember is the back went out to the right then to the left then went backwards. im not trying to waste your time with bs stories i just want to see what people had to say about that happening and my question about the turbo.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Banned
TommyGargulo is infamous around these parts
let me ask you all a question.. why would a kid come on here and brag about smashing up a porsche?... if the person was lying they obviously wouldn't BS about a story of smashing up a car.. they would probably make up a kill story... how stupid are all of you?... In no way does the story glorify the person writing it so why do you all assume its BS?

It sounds more like all of you are bitter that an 18 year old kid can get a car that most of you had to work your whole life for... get a life all of you...

AI91.. enjoy your car..just be careful driving it... take some lessons first

Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TommyGargulo
... how stupid are all of you?...
Great first post. Welcome to 6speed...

Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
Great first post. Welcome to 6speed...
Bobby

From 5th to 4th gear at 70mph would not even flinch it let alone upset its balance. There is always more than what is being told.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
let me ask you all a question.. why would a kid come on here and brag about smashing up a porsche?... if the person was lying they obviously wouldn't BS about a story of smashing up a car.. they would probably make up a kill story... how stupid are all of you?... In no way does the story glorify the person writing it so why do you all assume its BS?

It sounds more like all of you are bitter that an 18 year old kid can get a car that most of you had to work your whole life for... get a life all of you...

AI91.. enjoy your car..just be careful driving it... take some lessons first
When did they make an 07 GT2? Post some pics please...we would all enjoy them. In fact put your middle finger in the picture..

Your great first post....

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 09-02-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
what did you do, downshift from 6th to 2nd?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
what did you do, downshift from 6th to 2nd?
that's my guess.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned
TommyGargulo is infamous around these parts
Alpine 997..why would i have to prove to you that i have a car?.. who are you? do i care if you believe me if i have that car.... do i feel cool proving to a stranger that i have a car? NO ....whose to say you have that car? because you take pictures in front of it with your middle finger? and even if you do take pictures.. whose to say its yours and not your neighbors?...maybe ill post the bill of sale.. or the check i wrote to prestige imports in Miami....i wont be able to sleep tonight if you dont believe i have that car..... grow up...

Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Alpine 997..why would i have to prove to you that i have a car?
ummm, because there is no such thing as a 2007 GT2? And a GT2 owner would know it?

Last edited by bbywu; 09-02-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Bobby

From 5th to 4th gear at 70mph would not even flinch it let alone upset its balance. There is always more than what is being told.
i wrote i tryed to go from5th to 4th, but i probably went to 2nd

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM
noah677 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ai91
**** that. i know i have to learn how to drive its obvious it was the second time i ever drove stick . i thought that the turbo might not be as tail happy with the all wheel drive.
EXTREMELY bad attitude. You have received some excellent advice. Of course a All wheel drive may be more stable. But that is not the point. You ain't ready for prime time. More money than brains

Old 09-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ai91
the stories not bs. it wasnt a hairpin it was a long turn, not to sharp. i was doing around 70 in 5th and tryed downshifting to 4th and all i remember is the back went out to the right then to the left then went backwards. im not trying to waste your time with bs stories i just want to see what people had to say about that happening and my question about the turbo.
Unless there was a pool of oil on the road car wouldn’t even twitch going from 5<SUP>th</SUP> to 4<SUP>th</SUP> at 70 on a slight curve. So I have no idea what you were doing mate? For your info 4th in a turbo takes you to nearly 130mph. You can do nearly 70 in second gear! Same goes for GT3 with less torque to wheels.

Ups, I have just seen your 5th to second statement. Don't buy Porsches yet learn to drive Lada first... however @ 70 you would still just be ok with type 2 over-rev probably and PMS sorting you out.

Last edited by Terminator; 09-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbo forgivness?