997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

turbo forgivness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
tkx62 is infamous around these parts
Hey everyone -- sorry to jump in here as a first post but someone sent me a link to this thread.

Story is not BS -- obviously we didn't know that an 18-year-old would be driving the vehicle (and we still don't know for a fact that he was driving) -- the vehicle was indeed rented to his dad, who either knowingly gave it to his kid or unknowingly had his kid take it -- those details are between the guy, his son, and the insurance company.

But what I can tell everyone is

A) You can rent a GT3 from us (Gotham Dream Cars) -- obviously not this one since it will be totaled out, but we'll be buying a replacement as soon as this matter is settled. It's an amazing car to drive:

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/new-y...che-rental.htm

B) The car is definitely not in a happy place (frame is bent). Sad to see such a fun car take such a nasty spill, but such is life in this business. As was said, we're just glad nobody was hurt or killed. Photo below of the bent metal.

Best,
--Noah

Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
RioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura about
Question 07 Gt2???

Hmmm last year for the 996 GT2 was 2005 true?
First 997 GT2s started to arrive in dealerships in Nov. 07 as 2007 or 2008 year models? I'm pretty sure they came out as '08 models no???

Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
This thread cracks me up! ...

Ok "rent people" on your first post, I have an 18 year old kid can he please wreck another GT3? Your insurance people must love you!

Last edited by Terminator; 09-02-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
tkx62 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Terminator
This thread cracks me up! ...

Ok "rent people" on your first post, I have an 18 year old kid can he please wreck another GT3? Your insurance people must love you!
Our insurance people love us -- it's your insurance people who would probably have an issue

Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
emilgh is infamous around these partsemilgh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tkx62
Our insurance people love us -- it's your insurance people who would probably have an issue
LOL!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM
JAdamz is infamous around these parts
lol....

Old 09-02-2008, 12:41 PM
RPM217 is infamous around these parts
One of the things that you learn either driving a "mid engine", or rear engine car is that if you lift in a turn, the rear end will swap places with the front before you can say GT3! Then, it's too late, learn to drive, learn to drive a stick, take driving instruction seriously, and rent your exotics (when of age) from GDC, but remember, it's your insurance that takes the primary responsibility, not theirs!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned
TommyGargulo is infamous around these parts
its a PY 07 (12/13/07) and MY 08..get a life

Old 09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TommyGargulo
Alpine 997..why would i have to prove to you that i have a car?.. who are you? do i care if you believe me if i have that car.... do i feel cool proving to a stranger that i have a car? NO ....whose to say you have that car? because you take pictures in front of it with your middle finger? and even if you do take pictures.. whose to say its yours and not your neighbors?...maybe ill post the bill of sale.. or the check i wrote to prestige imports in Miami....i wont be able to sleep tonight if you dont believe i have that car..... grow up...
A second great post..keep them up

You are right I don't have the car in my Avatar. It doesn't exist. Neither does the insurance bill and tag bill I pay on it every year. In fact those who have taken pictures of the car really didn't take pictures of it and those who drove it really didn't drive it. I just told them to say those things because I need friends...

Here is a quarter - go buy a clue. The advise given to the young driver is to help him and if the words are harsh then so be it. We all hope it will save his life one day and he can come back to thank us. Some have not been so fortunate in the past when advice was given to them and they thought they could defy the laws of physics as well as their own ability to outdrive the car.

I think I will go out and drive my imaginary car and grow up some before I come back to post.

Bobby please watch this place for me while I am gone.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned
TommyGargulo is infamous around these parts
heres 2 quarters.. talk to me when you have a gt2

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RioGrandeValley
Hmmm last year for the 996 GT2 was 2005 true?
First 997 GT2s started to arrive in dealerships in Nov. 07 as 2007 or 2008 year models? I'm pretty sure they came out as '08 models no???
I was the first one to ask for pics Don't jump ahead of me.

Hey 07/GT2 guy - *cough* *cough* *bull***** - did I say that?

Let's see you put TechArt coilovers on a fully adjustable coilover system already? Hmm interesting. I guess you can drive the GT2 to the point that the OEM suspension designed by Bilstein(TechArt) is not good enough.

Nice upgrades you have there. Care to share some pics. EVOMS, Cargraphics and Etc. Some nice upgrades you got there fella..

Old 09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by TommyGargulo
heres 2 quarters.. talk to me when you have a gt2
Sorry I can't drive a GT2 just quite yet. You see I am still learning to master the Turbo...

How about you? Got pics?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
zjpj is infamous around these parts
Hey everyone -- sorry to jump in here as a first post but someone sent me a link to this thread.

Story is not BS -- obviously we didn't know that an 18-year-old would be driving the vehicle (and we still don't know for a fact that he was driving) -- the vehicle was indeed rented to his dad, who either knowingly gave it to his kid or unknowingly had his kid take it -- those details are between the guy, his son, and the insurance company.

But what I can tell everyone is

A) You can rent a GT3 from us (Gotham Dream Cars) -- obviously not this one since it will be totaled out, but we'll be buying a replacement as soon as this matter is settled. It's an amazing car to drive:

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/new-y...che-rental.htm

B) The car is definitely not in a happy place (frame is bent). Sad to see such a fun car take such a nasty spill, but such is life in this business. As was said, we're just glad nobody was hurt or killed. Photo below of the bent metal.

Best,
--Noah
Your Saleen looks awesome!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Step past the invective here and see the underlying concern. You're too young to drive a car like this. Too young in a couple of senses, and I'm not trying to sound like the old guy shaking his cane at the youngsters here:

1) The parts of your brain responsible for long-term planning and decision-making are not developed yet. I mean, physically, they're not there. Mixing a cognitive state that would only occur in a 35-year old after some kind of traumatic head injury with a high-end sports car is a recipe for disaster. You won't think it could be you, but it could.
2) Driving a car with the performance envelope of a GT3 or Turbo will fool you into thinking you're a better driver than you are. If you want to become a genuinely good driver, get a lower horsepower rear-wheel drive car, and get into track events. If I could have done this at 18, I would have built a lifetime's reserve of skill, that would serve me well when I stepped up to higher performance cars.

By the way, I'm about 99% sure what happened is that you downshifted without rev-matching while you had some steering angle going on, momentarily locked up the rear tires, and that's what caused the spin. Any car will get ticked off at you, a GT3 more than most, but any rear-engined car will be slow to forgive something like that. That said, to throw it into a wall, you were probably not pottering around at 25mph...

We've seen a lot of kids getting hurt driving cars they had no business being in, regardless of their financial situation. Seriously, we get smarter as we get older. We don't turn into doddery old farts until some time in our 60s, or later.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey I am a doddery old fart at 37!! Okay 997 Turbo for sale. I will look into a Mercury Sable or something sporty like that..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbo forgivness?