997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

turbo forgivness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
ai91 is infamous around these parts
turbo forgivness?

A few weeks ago i rented a gt3 for the weekend and downshifted on the highway and spun out into a wall. it was deffinantly my fault ( it was the second time i ever drove stick).i but ive herd the car is unforgiving and i see alot of videos of gt3's spinning out even with pro drivers. i want to get a porsche and was wondering if a turbo is more forgiving and any safer or is it the same as a gt3?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
hmm.....?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:46 AM
i know a few people that own a gt3 and have had the same thing happen to them on a track with it spinning out. i want to know if this happens in the turbo or does it all depend on the driver

Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
It has nothing to do with "forgiveness." You downshifted, and then crashed? You need to take learn how to drive. And please let me know when you are on the road.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-30-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
GT3s will spin with a bad shift. Ask some DE instructors. The turbo should be much less prone to that. The turbo is less tail happy.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM
SAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura aboutSAFE4NOW has a spectacular aura about
Question

I'd think most any rear wheel drive car, manual transmission, would get unstable if you downshifted " too far " Speed, gear, road condition, it really does not matter what car you are in GT2, GT3, Miata....

Next time out, I'd suggest taking it to the track and learn there, what happens when you do " x "

Good Luck

S

p.s. Where did you rent a GT3, that would allow an 18yo with no experience take it out on the open road? And how much...

Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Suggest you get a GT-R.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
suggest you get a good cab co #, no offense but seriously learn to drive. Listen to what your asking, is a TURBO a safer choice....what world do you live in?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 AM
badkarma is infamous around these partsbadkarma is infamous around these parts
Wait.

You crashed a GT3 into a wall and now you want a turbo?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
mja 996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
hmm.....?

...... who would rent a GT3 to an 18 year old??????????

Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
badkarma is infamous around these partsbadkarma is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mja 996TT
...... who would rent a GT3 to an 18 year old??????????
who would buy an 18 year old a turbo after crashing a gt3 into a wall?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
suggest you get a good cab co #, no offense but seriously learn to drive. Listen to what your asking, is a TURBO a safer choice....what world do you live in?
**** that. i know i have to learn how to drive its obvious it was the second time i ever drove stick . i thought that the turbo might not be as tail happy with the all wheel drive.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Any 911 will do that if you try and shift during a high speed turn, PSM and AWD cannot save you, it's the laws of physics. Even though the Turbo may appear safer, when you start pushing these cars at a track they behave like any other rear engine 911. Always complete your downshifts in a straight line with rev matching (and later heel-toe downshifting) techniques. But these techniques are best learned on the track. Please attend a DE or the Porsche Sport Driving School for your own safety and those around you, not to mention the Porsche.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
notjustshrawan is infamous around these parts
I think you should probably exercise a little care when driving something like this one. One moment you feel like God, next moment you might feel like you're going to meet him in person

Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Where can I rent a gt3?
Honestly, if this post is for real, a gt3 is not the car to be learning a stick on, rent a miata or some other POS if you must. A turbo will not defy the laws of physics any more than a gt3. I would suggest you attend some basic driving schools, followed by a sport driving school before you 'rent' another poor gt3. I've said it before, a gt3 or turbo is generally way to much car for most novice drivers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbo forgivness?