997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Track report: Me in my GT-R versus me in my Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Track report: Me in my GT-R versus me in my Turbo

Well, not on the same day, but I had Traqmate data from my Turbo, which I used to compare myself in both cars.

I took both cars to Reno-Fernley as my first track day in each. Each had about 1500 miles on them. GT-R was bone stock. Turbo had the EVOMS Stage III kit (610HP on 100 Octane, IIRC).

I don't know the track well, so my times are only useful (if at all) on a relative basis.

First, some subjective opinions:

Turbo "feels" faster. Peak TQ is higher and the thrill/fear factor is higher when powering out of turns. Turbo is easier to rotate with a bit of throttle lift. Even on stock suspension / alignment, Turbo seems to push less.

GT-R dual clutch is amazing (see below for more). Power is just an uninterrupted whoosh that never lets up. GT-R pushes like crazy--- need to do late apexes (the "Audi Line") and power out hard. Car is happy to track out by way of four-wheel power drift, even with traction control on (in "R" mode). When in doubt, add throttle.

Unfrtunately, there weren't any 997TTs there, but there were a good collection of capable cars/drivers (many heaviliy modded and on sticky tires): Z06s aplenty, E92 and E46 M3s, 997 GT3, fast WRX's, etc, etc.

I ran in the advanced group, together with some instructors.

Guys: no one could keep up, other than a guy in a Z06 for whom Fernley was his home track (I think he said he had >3000 laps on it). He said he did 2:20s. My best in GT-R was 2:27. Literally no one else passed me all weekend.

Last year in my 997TT, my best was 2:30, or 3 seconds slower. Remember, that was a modded car with 600+ HP.

Now, last year was my first weekend at Fernley (this was my second), so maybe that accounts for it. Both cars are presumably capable of the 2:20-range if that's what fast Z06s run. Or maybe Nissan, knowing that I post on these boards, made sure I got a "ringer car."

I am bringing both cars to Thunderhill (which I know a lot better) on 9/19 for a same driver / same track, back-to-back test, but I think the answer is clear: for me (and presumably other "normal" non-pro DE drivers), the GT-R is probably a bit faster.

-Chris

Some multimedia to make my point:

Look at this Speed v. Distance chart. Green=Turbo; Black= GT-R. Look at the tall slopes, those are the straights. The tallest on the right is the very long front straight. look how the 997's graph is a bit steeper-- until the shift points where there is a little flat spot. The other line is the GT-R. Look Mom! No pause in acceleration.

Here's a screen-cap movie of a Traqmate comparo lap:

http://homepage.mac.com/cnicholson1/...R_Traqmate.mov

Here's some video of me on Track:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/cnicholson/videos/1/

Last edited by chrisn; 09-01-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nice write up. What is your 997TT's configuration?

Last edited by bbywu; 09-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bbywu
Nice write up. What is your 997TT's configuration?
At the above time, I had headers / IC / Exhaust and ECU tune. I now have the EVT 700 kits + Bilsteins + clutch.

FYI, on the GT-R, I bought the Cobb Stage 1 (stock exhaust) ECU tune (+60HP/70TQ on pump gas for $995), but have not installed it yet (just a DIY flash via OBD port).

-Chris

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Great to hear from an actual owner. The GTR's performance is impressive. Thank you for the review.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Looking forward to your review at Thunderhill...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome review. Just picked my black one up today. Will post pictures as soon as I have it looking nice and pretty after my highway trip.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
I second the 'nice write-up' and thanks for sharing. Certainly gives a nice, honest perspective.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
jcr847 is infamous around these parts
Great post! It's nice to see actual owners chime in, especially with metrics.

I think we'll all be eagerly awaiting your results from Thunderhill

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Thanks for the post. The haters will now tell you that Nissan supplied you with a ringer.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Post of the week!

been waiting for real world reports from real world drivers (i.e., not professional race drivers with otherworldly driving skills)! and with GPS to boot, can't ask for much more!

amazing how hard the GT-R pulls. even without the advantage of the DSG box, the acceleration slopes are basically on a par with your Turbo, which as you pointed out has lots more power! I'm sure the Porsche would pull away at higher speeds, but still!

Just curious about a few things-- you generally seem to brake much harder and deeper with the GT-R; i'm assuming this reflects the different "audi line" approach you're taking with the car? basically slowing it down, getting it pointed in the right direction then rocketing out?

Also, what's going on at the very extreme left (start) of the graph, and the middle peak? you seem to carry a LOT more speed in the GT-R vs the Turbo? i'm not familiar with the track lay-out...

again, thanks for the great post!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Great post!!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Chris you need to align that TT to make it more trackable. The stock alignment is a joke

Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison work; very interesting. See eclou's comment above. I could not think of one reputable tuner on this forum who wouldn't recommend that you tune the Turbo's suspension, especially for the track (spring, sway bar, alignment, etc.). Is there any reason why you don't?

Last edited by cannga; 09-02-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 AM
RioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura aboutRioGrandeValley has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Noticed something in the video

At about 2:30 into this vid the GT3 driver is taking the curve way on the outside. Is this right? Seems like I'd want to be in the inside and not way out there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Excellent driving skills Chris!
Excellent Review!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
well done... GTR is phenomenal, but more than anything the track days sound like a lot of fun with either car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track report: Me in my GT-R versus me in my Turbo