997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbo or turbo cab impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
myphillylawyer is infamous around these parts
997 turbo or turbo cab impressions

good evening to the forum. This is my first post. I am currently an E55 driver. That relationship is coming to an end shortly. This is the time that I enjoythe most...figuring out what my next ride will be. I am considering an SL63, SL65, Aston DBS and DB9 as well as an 09 997 turbo and turbo cab.

By way of background I have an 08 S550 4matic and an 08 ML 350 that are used by the other members of my family. So having transportation in inclement weather isn't a concern. The car I buy will be my daily driver though.

The last time I owned a Porsche was a 1996 993 turbo in speed yellow. I recall my brief time with that car fondly. Though I also remember when I moved into a BMW thinking that the turbo (in retrospect) was a harsh ride. Of course the exuberant acceleration more than made up for the comfort.

Anyway, any thoughts from current owners would be greatly appreciated whether its reliability, handling, ease of driving on a daily basis, whatever you think would be on point let it rip...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
while many use the TT as a daily driver (I don't), it will not be as comfortable as the SL or aston. Those cars also offer a more isolated feel and no where near the driver involvement. Really depends on what you are after. Have you test driven the TT yet?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
myphillylawyer is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your input. I think i've seen you over in mercedes forum too. No I haven't driven the new tt yet. Maybe this week. Did a tour in the Aston last week and that was fun. Incredible engine sounds. But I'd agree that the handling was not as crisp as I'd expect from the Porsche. But is it ever gorgeous inside and out.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myphillylawyer
Anyway, any thoughts from current owners would be greatly appreciated whether its reliability, handling, ease of driving on a daily basis, whatever you think would be on point let it rip...
I use my 997TT daily for every situation from work, to play, to groceries. As far as reliability, except for an O2 sensor, I've had no problems using the car, thrashing the car, and soon, tracking the car.

The 997TT is a very forgiving car to drive, and its traction control/computer nanny is very unobtrusive.

As a down side, the rear seats are fit for children...adults will have a problem sitting in the rear. The storage space is pretty good for a supercar...I can do a weeks worth of groceries for a single guy no problem. It can handle every weather situation...including snow, although I recommend snow tires.

Not sure if weekend racing is important, but it is an above average track car, but has lost its edge to the GT2/GT3 variants. It's biggest weakness is its handling. It is comfortable for daily use, fairly good for track use, but not not the scalpel that the GT2/GT3s are. PASM activation is poorly implemented and doesn't really enhance handling.