997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Giving HOEN Credit, Where Credit Due

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Giving HOEN Credit, Where Credit Due

Let me start first with this is NOT spam. This is just a MORE than satisfied customer who was treated more than fairly by HOEN. Some of you will know I posted a request for the side-marker bulbs that ‘looked’ clear or silver, but flashed yellow several weeks back; “Clear Bulbs That Glow Yellow”: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/141498-clear-bulbs-glow-yellow-where.html
Thanks everyone for their help, especially GMONEY who gave all the details for a perfect order. Placed the order and they showed up within 3 days from California on Ground-Shipping. That was impressive, means they got the order and shipped same-day. Plugged them in and they look exactly the way I wanted them too, but, one fried within 11 seconds. Did a little research to find some people carry spares just for such instances as they blow all the time!?! ?? Got nervous (as Jersey has road-blocks for surprise inspections) so I contacted HOEN via their e-mail system (no phone # did make me nervous) explaining one bulb fried and I wanted to order a few extras as per my research, and within 20 minutes I got a return e-mail from Gary at HOEN. He stated my scenario was extraordinarily rare and he’d replace the bulb immediately. He suggested I NOT buy more bulbs as HOEN BULBS do last and stood behind his bulbs and their quality. When does an accessories company NOT want to sell product? So I took his advice and they only shipped a replacement. Again, within 3 days it was on my doorstep. I can’t think of a company who got the order out immediately, and talked me out of spending more money for extras only I thought I needed. Thank you to Gary, his team and HOEN-USA!
Again, this is NOT SPAM, only an acknowledgement of great service from a specialty supplier of a unique and awesome product. And they look great!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'm glad that Gary was able to help you out with your issue. He wasn't very helpful for me when their bulbs melted my turn signal housing. In fact, he flatly refused to help out. I've since then swore off Hoen bulbs.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Not be too much of a jerk, but it sounds like Hoen did what most companies are supposed to do. Replace a defective product, and not scam a customer. And were applauding this because?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Atomic, I asked about this before buying and the city light is for, well, city lights not the plastic small LED cluster. Essentially a hot bulb was installed in the wrong place which is of no fault of the bulb co. Needless to say I did not replace that one based on your post!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Not be too much of a jerk, but it sounds like Hoen did what most companies are supposed to do. Replace a defective product, and not scam a customer. And were applauding this because?
I agree, this is how its supposed to go down, but the reality of it is not so with web orders nowadays. Not much time lapses before a nightmare is posted on here alone with a bad buy experience or customer service issus is posted. It could be 10k wheels with shoddy paint or exhausts falling apart, you name it.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Installed in the wrong place? Are you kidding me. Hoen said that I installed the bulb incorrectly resulting in a melted housing. There's no wrong way to install these city lights. I really don't want to deal with a company that basically tells me "you're screwed" when they should have done a little more R&D to verify that something wrongs well before selling them to the general public.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The Hoen city light is for city lights i.e. the ones in headlamps, not turn signals or indicators or any other place. I think that was the key problem, right fitment, wrong application.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
BBYWU does bring a fair question, and based on all his posts he's far from considered a jerk for any question.
My answer is only my perspective and as follows; Why not? Why not promote something done not to acceptable, but to above average? Everyone's got a complaint or needs someone to fix what was done wrong to begin with. It may be me, but I feel 'less than average' seems to be the accepted standard. Aren't there enough posts of help for inadaquite service? In my case, it's not just the replacement of something that went bad, but the entire scenario. From timely delivery (come-on, who's getting orders out same day anymore), to not taking my money on multiple replacement bulbs, especially when it's what I requested (a salesmans dream client).
So I can understand why this is such an alien post and it would come under question to what feels normal, but in my eyes, the pleasantly unexpected is worth a post of praise.
As for those that didn't get the product they expected, or worse (like ATOMIC80) had an adverse event because of it. Those people also made their claim of dissatisfaction and some of us who saw those posts learned from it. I did too, if you check my original post there were suggestions to switchout the fog bulbs as well. (Damn, those pictures looked great!!) But with a little diligence on my part, there were also warnings of getting the right bulb for specific applications due to excessive heat build up and damage, (thank's to ATOMIC80 and others) and I posted the worst-case-scenario of what I found and I wouldn't be switching them out.
Who's at fault for those with damage isn't for me to judge, but we do live in a buyer-be-ware society and I did my homework and decided not to switchout my fog's for a better look. I do feel bad for what's happened to ATOMIC80 and others, but in the eyes of the law, regardless of whether its considered an incorrect bulb or a bulb installed incorrectly, it isn't any more fault of the seller of the product than if was an incorrect filter or a filter installed incorrectly ... that liability is on the installer. And to be respectful of ATOMIC80, he did start his post with a positively overtoned statement that someone got good service from Gary. Anything after that is just stating his feelings about HOEN, just as I stated mine ... and I'm respectful of that. More importantly, I'm very grateful he posted his problem and I/we learned from it and didn't have the problems he encountered.
There's my three-and-a-half-cents of hopeful clarity.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:24 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
I've been using hoen bulbs exclusively in all my cars since i first found out about the company is 2003 - great product and great customer service

Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Here is a thought, has anyone installed the amber w5w's in the led cluster? The stock ones look abit dirty and the superwhite ones are too hot so what about that?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
The problem is that customer service has detiorated that when you get treated like you are supposed to, you feel like you won the lotto.

Originally Posted by bbywu

Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I don't think Jason can be blamed in any way whatsoever. In the RS4 community, there have been several people who have melted their housings with the Hoen bulbs. A couple of people even melted the bulb sockets and wiring. It is an issue that Hoen is aware of and they are on record saying that they have no solution. Just be very careful using coated bulbs.