997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I want to learn how to race cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
I want to learn how to race cars

what does someone do at 40 plus to learn how to race and once he learns what car does he need and what class of racing should he look to? I am just looking for my next quest. my next car is an 09 turbo. i dont think i would race that. i just want some insight from all the people that know much more than me from this site. thanks allot. Detail is appreciated. Obviously, i will not make money from doing this. i just want to learn. thanks.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
Race school would be the first step. There are some excellent weekend classes available. Personally I would start in Karts since it is cheap and if you really screw up nothing too bad is going to happen. You also might want to look at Auto-X as a starter instead of a full blown road course. Again, here a big mistake leads to removing cone rubber from your bumper.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SoCalCFP
what does someone do at 40 plus to learn how to race and once he learns what car does he need and what class of racing should he look to? I am just looking for my next quest. my next car is an 09 turbo. i dont think i would race that. i just want some insight from all the people that know much more than me from this site. thanks allot. Detail is appreciated. Obviously, i will not make money from doing this. i just want to learn. thanks.
What kind of racing? Track? Drag strip?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 AM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
I highly recommend the Skip Barber schools. http://www.skipbarber.com/racing_sch...ay_racing.aspx In addition to first class instruction, we were able to race at Daytona and Sebring...what a blast. As previously stated, you have to decide just how you want to race cars and then you can find a program to suit your needs. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM
i would want road courses. i know i need to go to some courses. what class of racing? what are the car options? thanks for the info.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Unless you're a big guy, a spec Miata is a great option. Competitive racing, cheap cars, cheap parts, plenty of events on the calendar, easy on consumables, and easy to get out of when you're ready to move to bigger/faster/spendier forms of racing.

Get some track time in a non-competitive setting to build the skill-set, and get some good seat time so your technique is pretty good before the red mist of your first race clouds your judgment. The Skip Barber school is universally praised, so that's a good kick-start, but the PCA DE events would be a good way to hone your skills.

AutoX is useful as a low-cost, low-risk sort of thing, but be aware that the skills you learn to get a car to rotate in a tight 2nd gear AutoX course are likely to result in notifications to your next-of-kin if you try them in a 4th gear sweeper on a road course. If your goal is road course, you might be better advised to start there.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
X2daC is infamous around these parts
If you even want to take this farther, check out Jim Russell's racing school.

http://www.jimrussellusa.com/

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
If you want a flavor for racing in a Porsche, you might want to do the Porsche Sport Driving school in Birmingham (office Porsche track for the US). Hurley Haywood is one of the instructors, among other very skilled professional race drivers. There are now three courses you take - the 2 day starter course (you will learn skills, heel toe, track, etc), advanced and a new 3-day course to get your racing license. You drive new 911 and 911S on the track. It is so much fun and a beautiful track and hotel. Have fun!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Good luck on your quest - you are going to have a great time and spend tons of money.

Last edited by sparkhill; 09-14-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 AM
great info, thanks allot. what are the car classes? i was thinking of taking the porsche driving school.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
great info, thanks allot. what are the car classes? i was thinking of taking the porsche driving school.
Don't quite understand your question, but you can get information on the Porsche Sport Driving school thru the links on the official Porsche Website.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
If your in SoCal go to Porsche Owners Club (POC). They have an excellent program to get started and they progress you at your own speed. They have continuious events that help you improve. Not knocking the Barber, Bondaunt schools, but those schools leave you without a series to compete in. If you have a porsche you will find quickly at what level you want to compete in without spending a fortune.

FWIW, I watched a Speed Channel GT event where at least four of the drivers have come up thru POC.

Jimmy

Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Agree with recommendation of Porsche Driving Experience (PDE) located at Barber Motorsports Park. I started at a similar age and recommend a program in a street car 1st. If you want to proceed, then go to a racing school. I also recommend not starting your racing, if you elect to pursue, in a high hp car such as a Cup Car. All my opinion but I've been through the decision-making process that you are facing.

BTW- Owen Trinkler helps run our motorsport program (Racer's Edge) is a Master Instructor at PDE. Great teacher and fantastic driver. He also races in Grand Am.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Start with the POC. You can begin with an STS event in your turbo and go from there. If you enjoy it you can move up the ladder.

http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

Feel free to email me directly and I can help you get started.

Best,

Garrett

Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I races bikes first, then motorcycles and then cars for 10 years. Bring the car to Irvine and I can give you a few pointers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: I want to learn how to race cars