997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TechArt Type III Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
Techart wheels never did anything for me, and these wheels are the worst yet!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I have to agree. When I got my 20" works some people said man aren't they heavy? etc.etc. but when someone buys "TECHART" oh man they are nice, etc. We are so branded its not even funny. I think Works makes a better 3 piece than most.

The designs are boring and this new set is even worse.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM
jerrym is infamous around these parts
im not feeling these wheels.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
I think they're different, unique and look great. Curves that give dimension, spokes that seem to go right to the edge of the rim, yet not have the mesh-look that so many interpretations/modernizations of the BBS's from years back.
Soon enough they'll be able to 'paint-to-match' the colors and I'll be ordering them once they're available painted.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
While it's a matter of personal preference and therefore there's no wrong or right, I do believe that certain wheels look "inherently wrong." You could usually tell by the unusual number of negative posts, as in this case. Who knows why, maybe Techart has managed to make a simple 5 single spoke design look ornate, where it doesn't need to be?
New wheel design should be welcome, but the wheel is still an accessory to the car & should not be detracting, like this Techart is threatening to do.

As for the mesh design, maybe its continued success is a sign of something "inherently right" and yet doesn't look boring over time?

Of course the only thing what matters is how they look to your eyes, so good luck and have fun.

Originally Posted by SaintlySins
I think they're different, unique and look great. Curves that give dimension, spokes that seem to go right to the edge of the rim, yet not have the mesh-look that so many interpretations/modernizations of the BBS's from years back.
Soon enough they'll be able to 'paint-to-match' the colors and I'll be ordering them once they're available painted.

Last edited by cannga; 09-20-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
OK NO ETA for this wheels.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:28 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I guess I am just not a TechArt wheel fan. I think every TechArt wheel I have seen is unattractive in some way - but these are the worst. Definitely different though and I am sure lots of people will like them.

Last edited by sparkhill; 09-21-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Although in pictures I like 'em ... I can't ignore the negative posts and now certainly go to physically see them in person on a car before I purchase ... just to see if there is something the picture isn't sharing with me that so many of you see.
Thanks for the respectful post CANNGA, but I'm just too old for any more web/mesh design regardless of how time tested they are as I've been running on variations of them for over 26 years. I'm ready for todays science to provide a more unique look. Geeesh, don't dash this old mans hopes for something different and unique.
Soon as they're ready to be seen on a car in person, I'm going to check it out and post my final judgment then.
Thanks all.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SaintlySins
Although in pictures I like 'em ... I can't ignore the negative posts and now certainly go to physically see them in person on a car before I purchase ... just to see if there is something the picture isn't sharing with me that so many of you see.
Thanks for the respectful post CANNGA, but I'm just too old for any more web/mesh design regardless of how time tested they are as I've been running on variations of them for over 26 years. I'm ready for todays science to provide a more unique look. Geeesh, don't dash this old mans hopes for something different and unique.
Soon as they're ready to be seen on a car in person, I'm going to check it out and post my final judgment then.
Thanks all.
Hello SaintlySins,

You are welcome. From my post, I assume you could already guess what style wheel I own? You have a valid point about the mesh design. The bad thing is you see it all the times in the forum and they've been around forever, the good thing is in real life you almost will never run into another car with the same style (save for some BMW). So the over-exposure is mainly internet only.

But... to be fair, to me wheel design has 3 basic styles and all wheels are variations of these 3 basic styles: mesh, single spoke, double spoke (represented for example by HRE P40, P43, and P47 -- whoever the designer at HRE, he must have been my twin in another life), so the other 2 styles are just as common.

I had a year break between my 997 and 997 Turbo, and during that time look at just about every wheel out there, in the process developing a wheel fetish; would be happy to discuss wheel w/ you any time. I do agree, the Techart wheel does have a unique look to it.

BTW, I absolutely love the new HRE P47. This style is also seen on F cars and most likely will be the wheels on my next Porsche.

HRE P40 (mesh/fork)

HRE P43 (single spoke)

HRE P47 (double spoke)

Last edited by cannga; 09-22-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Qs997Turbo is infamous around these parts
BUMP for Wheel Experts! Owner is a good friend and a seller with significant experience and knowlege pertaining to aftermarket wheels!

Q

Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
Probably look best in black.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Not a fan... weird looking, kinda like the new SL65-BS wheels